PDA

View Full Version : Idiot poachers

fluxcore
06-29-2014, 07:13 PM
So we (family drive) head out to gull lake to visit some friends camping out there for dinner and had a break in the weather so we decide to walk down to the dock so I could try my luck with my minnow trap and as I'm walking along the dock two gentleman catch my buddies attention and he points to a bucket so I walk by and take a peek and they have two walleye in there! I was quick to question them on the regs and they were quick to respond there allowed three.....now I'm ****ed off and explain that's for pike NOT walleye and explain they can loose there boat, gear and truck and ignorance of the law is no excuse. Now the older gentleman asks me if I intend to call the fish and wildlife on them and good luck with that.......WTF now I'm ****ed so I kick the bucket as hard as I can off the dock into the lake and yell if u touch the walleye then I'll call! It's a bit of a stand off but they back down and head back to their campsite but return (I'm making sure the fish float off) with three gentleman that seem to want absoultly nothing to do with me or my friend, they watch as he loads up his boat and leaves one says somthing under his breath and my friend yells out "excuse me what's that" but they just walked off towards his truck with get this alberta plates!! That my rant sucks they floated off and were wasted, lost my temper.

rielbowhunter
06-29-2014, 07:17 PM
should have called.

Lefty-Canuck
06-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Record the plate of the vehicle and call it in, take pictures....as much as I have a tough time holding my tongue about this kind of crap it's the best thing to do...

LC

Brandonkop
06-29-2014, 07:22 PM
What do you guys do when it is a First Nations individual. I was launching my boat at Garner lake and a first nations individual likely from Goodfish reserve was fishing off the dock. He caught a walleye when I was launching and tossed it in a bag and walked up to his car and drove off.

I know the regs say when sportfishing they have to abide by the same rules. But this guys is always going to be back on the reserve by the time F&W get there and they can't go on the reserve. I think it is just stupid how these laws work.

fluxcore
06-29-2014, 07:22 PM
I have the plate # however the evidence floated off.

fluxcore
06-29-2014, 07:26 PM
What do you guys do when it is a First Nations individual. I was launching my boat at Garner lake and a first nations individual likely from Goodfish reserve was fishing off the dock. He caught a walleye when I was launching and tossed it in a bag and walked up to his car and drove off.

I know the regs say when sportfishing they have to abide by the same rules. But this guys is always going to be back on the reserve by the time F&W get there and they can't go on the reserve. I think it is just stupid how these laws work.

THEY WERE NOT FIRST NATIONS........that's another threat entirely

fish gunner
06-29-2014, 08:07 PM
Get the plate call it in in most cases poaching is a habit. The F&W will record the data . One of my friends got 500 $ reward for info that resulted in a conviction 2months later. Always call in this lets F&W work the hot spots . It may be frustrating but in time it works.

ghostguy6
06-29-2014, 08:14 PM
now I'm ****ed so I kick the bucket as hard as I can off the dock into the lake and yell if u touch the walleye then I'll call!.

So instead of calling RAP you decided to start an alteration that had the potential to turn violent in front of your family, you allowed the edible meat from a game fish to be wasted (even though it was poached) and destroyed evidence of a crime. If I were the officer handling the case I would have charged you as well. You took the law into your own hands for a few minutes and now these guys will be free to do it all over again possibly poaching 100 or even thousands of fish. Smart move buddy:thinking-006:

hal53
06-29-2014, 08:19 PM
So instead of calling RAP you decided to start an alteration that had the potential to turn violent in front of your family, you allowed the edible meat from a game fish to be wasted (even though it was poached) and destroyed evidence of a crime. If I were the officer handling the case I would have charged you as well. You took the law into your own hands for a few minutes and now these guys will be free to do it all over again possibly poaching 100 or even thousands of fish. Smart move buddy:thinking-006:
Dear Lord
Please let me live long enough to be as perfect as 99% of the keyboard jockeys on the fishing forum
Thank You.....

spinN'flyfish
06-29-2014, 08:23 PM
THEY WERE NOT FIRST NATIONS........that's another threat entirely

what were they (ethnic group)

woody1948
06-29-2014, 08:25 PM
Pretty hard to be right on here.

billycap
06-29-2014, 08:40 PM
So instead of calling RAP you decided to start an alteration that had the potential to turn violent in front of your family, you allowed the edible meat from a game fish to be wasted (even though it was poached) and destroyed evidence of a crime. If I were the officer handling the case I would have charged you as well. You took the law into your own hands for a few minutes and now these guys will be free to do it all over again possibly poaching 100 or even thousands of fish. Smart move
buddy:thinking-006:

That right there is the lamest thing ive seen all day.........

EP2
06-29-2014, 08:40 PM

Humans...:snapoutofit:

Stally77
06-29-2014, 09:18 PM
So we (family drive) head out to gull lake to visit some friends camping out there for dinner and had a break in the weather so we decide to walk down to the dock so I could try my luck with my minnow trap and as I'm walking along the dock two gentleman catch my buddies attention and he points to a bucket so I walk by and take a peek and they have two walleye in there! I was quick to question them on the regs and they were quick to respond there allowed three.....now I'm ****ed off and explain that's for pike NOT walleye and explain they can loose there boat, gear and truck and ignorance of the law is no excuse. Now the older gentleman asks me if I intend to call the fish and wildlife on them and good luck with that.......WTF now I'm ****ed so I kick the bucket as hard as I can off the dock into the lake and yell if u touch the walleye then I'll call! It's a bit of a stand off but they back down and head back to their campsite but return (I'm making sure the fish float off) with three gentleman that seem to want absoultly nothing to do with me or my friend, they watch as he loads up his boat and leaves one says somthing under his breath and my friend yells out "excuse me what's that" but they just walked off towards his truck with get this alberta plates!! That my rant sucks they floated off and were wasted, lost my temper.

Good on you for confronting them! Most would have turned a blind eye and not bothered.

isoseeker
06-29-2014, 09:33 PM

The only kind of poachers that likes to spin and fly-fish...:thinking-006:

Stally77
06-29-2014, 09:50 PM
The only kind of poachers that likes to spin and fly-fish...:thinking-006:

LMFAO:scared0018:

WayneChristie
06-29-2014, 09:56 PM

trollers wearing redwing boots

CanuckShooter
06-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Dear Lord
Please let me live long enough to be as perfect as 99% of the keyboard jockeys on the fishing forum
Thank You.....

Have to agree with hal53 on that reply....Mr. Perfect was a pro wrestler wan't he?

lochness
06-29-2014, 11:05 PM
When you call RAP, do they take your information, or you can report anonymously?

Icatchfish
06-30-2014, 07:36 AM
Good on u, but still call it in if you can. I'm sure these poachers will be back unless caught by F&W.

SKSniper
06-30-2014, 08:28 AM
It amazes me how many people don't read the regs. I was at the NSR the other day and some guy up the shore caught a fish. I asked what kind it was and he replied "I think its a perch". I go over and check and he has a sucker!?!?!? He then tells me this is his first catch and he has no clue how to tell fish apart. I politely suggested he read the regs front to back an study the fish identification pages. Im just glad it was a sucker and not a walleye or sturgeon as he had already bashed it over the head for dinner.

Geezle
06-30-2014, 09:04 AM
When you call RAP, do they take your information, or you can report anonymously?

You can report anonymously or give your info...it's up to you :)

lochness
06-30-2014, 11:10 AM

This year, so far, I saw 4 "non ethnic" poaching cases vs 1 "ethnic".
Funny thing is that 1 "non ethnic" case got away on a warning for keeping fish on a catch and release lake, and the "ethnic" group got fine for keeping under size fish.

dragon
06-30-2014, 11:24 AM
This year, so far, I saw 4 "non ethnic" poaching cases vs 1 "ethnic".
Funny thing is that 1 "non ethnic" case got away on a warning for keeping fish on a catch and release lake, and the "ethnic" group got fine for keeping under size fish.

Anyone knows that in order to properly identify a trend you have to take a sample of the population that is large enough to accurately represent the actual populations... Statistics

If I told you I caught 5 fish at pigeon lake and 4 were walleye and 1 was a pike, then it must be safe to say that 80% of fish in pigeon are walleye and 20% are pike right?

jacenbeers
06-30-2014, 01:39 PM

How is this relevant?

chriscosta
06-30-2014, 02:46 PM
It amazes me how many people don't read the regs. I was at the NSR the other day and some guy up the shore caught a fish. I asked what kind it was and he replied "I think its a perch". I go over and check and he has a sucker!?!?!? He then tells me this is his first catch and he has no clue how to tell fish apart. I politely suggested he read the regs front to back an study the fish identification pages. Im just glad it was a sucker and not a walleye or sturgeon as he had already bashed it over the head for dinner.I think im gonna throw up theres only one thing more disgusting than eating a fish from the nsr ...and thats eating a sucker from the nsr raaaalph lol

EZM
06-30-2014, 03:09 PM
I think im gonna throw up theres only one thing more disgusting than eating a fish from the nsr ...and thats eating a sucker from the nsr raaaalph lol

No .......... racism is more disgusting.

SCHOOCH
06-30-2014, 03:45 PM
No .......... racism is more disgusting.

A few morons on this site will never get it !!!!!!!!

chriscosta
06-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Huh where in my post was I racist ..maybe I missed something .. im not even ETHNICALY canadian lol

chriscosta
06-30-2014, 04:05 PM
A few morons on this site will never get it !!!!!!!!
Haha and moron .. I sure hope your not calling me a moron ...

Lefty-Canuck
06-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Chriscosta....they weren't saying you were rascist or moron, they said that rascism is more disgusting than eating an NSR sucker :)

LC

chriscosta
06-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Chriscosta....they weren't saying you were rascist or moron, they said that rascism is more disgusting than eating an NSR sucker :)

LCoh lol my bad I wasnt too sure what was happening there lol but I have seen how the pack can turn on one lol ...I completely agree and tbh I bet theres a fair bit of people ..from all groups that are disrespectful

BobLoblaw
06-30-2014, 06:20 PM
So instead of calling RAP you decided to start an alteration that had the potential to turn violent in front of your family

An "alteration"???

I sure hate it when someone starts hemming my pants out at the lake...:)

Habfan
06-30-2014, 06:50 PM
An "alteration"???

I was waiting for someone to comment, I didn't have the heart ! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Big Red 250
06-30-2014, 07:52 PM
I was waiting for someone to comment, I didn't have the heart ! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Most definitely the funniest reply to this post.

Mb-MBR
06-30-2014, 08:54 PM
An "alteration"???

Especially it they have a penchant for playing loud music from the 60s...........never mind:bad_boys_20:

243 wild cat
06-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Good on you for confronting them! Most would have turned a blind eye and not bothered.

Yep good on you!! for confronting them. And to the guy that would put his ass in jail you should hang your head LOW! real LOW! you think them scumbags should just keep on fishing and not have some one look into it if they know there poachers .Come on :snapoutofit:

canadiantdi
06-30-2014, 11:34 PM

This will prolly make them think twice before poaching again. You don't only have to look out for f&w!

Chewie66
07-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Good on you for doing what you did. Whether or not they did this through pure ignorance or on purpose they deserve to be taught a lesson. I agree that you should definitely report them and their license number to F&W just to give them a heads up.

BeeGuy
07-01-2014, 11:47 AM

You handled that poorly.

This is a good example of what not to do.

Hope there weren't any kids around to see your display.

SKSniper
07-01-2014, 12:24 PM
You handled that poorly.

And what would you have done in this situation Mr. great one? Asked him to please sit there and wait while you called F&W so they could come and give him a hefty fine? I'm sure he would have stayed around for sure and not gotten physical whatsoever, hell he probably would have offered you a beer. So easy to say in hindsight what the best thing to do would be but most people wouldn't have even said a thing in fear of retaliation.

Why don't you enlighten us on what the "proper" thing to do is in these situations so all of us can learn. Apparently you have the example of exactly what to do.

ironbutterfly
07-01-2014, 03:19 PM

I called in once to ask about that. same rules apply for natives except on the actual license I believe.

Habfan
07-01-2014, 07:38 PM
The best way to handle it is to get pics if you can, then lisence of vehicle then call report a poacher and finally receive a $500 cheque if they are convicted. Now you have extra money for gas & bait !

BeeGuy
07-01-2014, 08:33 PM
And what would you have done in this situation Mr. great one? Asked him to please sit there and wait while you called F&W so they could come and give him a hefty fine? I'm sure he would have stayed around for sure and not gotten physical whatsoever, hell he probably would have offered you a beer. So easy to say in hindsight what the best thing to do would be but most people wouldn't have even said a thing in fear of retaliation.

Why don't you enlighten us on what the "proper" thing to do is in these situations so all of us can learn. Apparently you have the example of exactly what to do.

You've obviously never called RAP.

The process is very simple and what to do in this situation is even covered in the reg's.

You have read the reg's right?

What it doesn't say is to be a righteous, aggressive, hero.

Side note:

Officers are limited and they can't always respond to a call. However, in the past, they have traveled as far as from the Hat to Milo to respond to my call.

JohninAB
07-01-2014, 08:44 PM

Wow, obviously you have no clue. Call it into RAP with the info like plates etc and let it run its course. Confronting them does no good.

billycap
07-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Well i think you did the right thing flux. Although i was raised old school where the only time you call the law is if someones life is in danger. Now id call F&W if i saw a major infraction that was seriously harming the fishery (nets, explosives excessive over limit). My hats off too you for standing up for whats right yourself! Im not a big fan of ppl overcome by the snitch on your neighbor for a cookie mentality.

Jimboy
07-01-2014, 11:22 PM

I know what l would have done , anyone who messes with my gear and kicks my bucket of fish into the lake goes swimming right along with them, they said their were allowed 3 , there was 3 guys , how do you know they didnt have draws , time to mind your own business.

MoFugger21
07-01-2014, 11:28 PM
You handled that poorly.

Doesn't happen often, but I have to agree with Beeguy.

Stally77
07-01-2014, 11:31 PM
I know what l would have done , anyone who messes with my gear and kicks my bucket of fish into the lake goes swimming right along with them, they said their were allowed 3 , there was 3 guys , how do you know they didnt have draws , time to mind your own business.

Didn't realize you can get draws for Gull?

Albertadiver
07-01-2014, 11:42 PM
Gotta love the fishing forum for some full on jerry springer!

The Fisherman Guy
07-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Gotta love the fishing forum for some full on jerry springer!

You better not be calling me Jerry Springer.

Albertadiver
07-02-2014, 12:03 AM
You better not be calling me Jerry Springer.

:lol: more of a Gerardo Rivera for you my friend! Always in the combat zones!

fish gunner
07-02-2014, 12:03 AM

Not say kiking in the bucket was "prudent" however making light of the infraction was. The big signs say no walleye retention at the store , the camp ground and I believe at the boat launch kind of makes it clear.

Albertadiver
07-02-2014, 12:07 AM
Not say kiking in the bucket was "prudent" however making light of the infraction was. The big signs say no walleye retention at the store , the camp ground and I believe at the boat launch kind of makes it clear.

I worked at that campground around 1999. I shovelled seaweed and cleaned campsites. The conservation officers only mildly tolerated me but they were always exasperated at that boat launch. By the end of my tenure as a young kid, they sorta respected my input. Some of my best memories come from that summer. People haven't gotten any smarter it seems.

Muckwa
07-02-2014, 12:50 AM
I can't believe you would waste fish like that at least they would of ate the fish. All of you guys there are pretty dumb if you ask me. Way to go hero. Should of called the fish cops right away and let them catch the fools with the evidence.

Kokanee9
07-02-2014, 03:15 AM
If the story really happened, I also think it could have been handled much better.

huntsfurfish
07-02-2014, 09:38 AM
You handled that poorly.

Agree!

wildside2014
07-02-2014, 10:48 AM
You handled that poorly.

I don't understand this comment. Its bad that his possible son would have seen his old man acting like a grown man and standing up for whats right? Or is the more politically correct move nowadays for daddy to be a little panzy and hide behind a phone?

canadiantdi
07-02-2014, 10:53 AM
I can't believe you would waste fish like that at least they would of ate the fish. All of you guys there are pretty dumb if you ask me. Way to go hero. Should of called the fish cops right away and let them catch the fools with the evidence.

If they were caught with the evidence, does the fish get donated or something? Does it get destroyed?

BeeGuy
07-02-2014, 11:01 AM
I don't understand this comment. Its bad that his possible son would have seen his old man acting like a grown man and standing up for whats right? Or is the more politically correct move nowadays for daddy to be a little panzy and hide behind a phone?

Another Internet tough guy hunh?

The only way for the F&W laws to have any teeth is to call in the heavies. If you don't call, you're letting these guys get away with it. Can you understand that?

It is critical in the process to get repeat offenders on the books.

Deo101
07-02-2014, 11:02 AM
I'm trying to figure out if I'm "ethnic" or "non ethnic" Or are we talking about "ethics" here.....?????

Jimboy
07-02-2014, 11:17 AM

l just look after my own business , poachers , if they were , always eventually get caught in the end on their own cockyness as they get bolder,
x2 on at least the fish are eaten , better then being wasted.
Also as l,ve said before ,theres getting to be to many no keep lakes and streams around now and when we cant keep our fish ,many will take the gamble and keep them anyway , l cant blame them , seems like they just want people to poach , to collect more fines.

wildside2014
07-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Another Internet tough guy hunh?The only way for the F&W laws to have any teeth is to call in the heavies. If you don't call, you're letting these guys get away with it. Can you understand that?

It is critical in the process to get repeat offenders on the books.

I don't know why that was put in your post. Im not 'picking a fight' with anyone over the net. Moreso stating that if my kid saw me put a criminal in his place Id be fine with it. I do agree that it would be more productive to have the offenders apprehended

BeeGuy
07-02-2014, 11:39 AM
I don't know why that was put in your post. Im not 'picking a fight' with anyone over the net. Moreso stating that if my kid saw me put a criminal in his place Id be fine with it. I do agree that it would be more productive to have the offenders apprehended

I dont think anyone with a walleye in a bucket is getting put in their place by raging on a public dock.

All that would tech a kid is that it is ok to

1. Not do the right thing
2. That's it's ok to have a temper tantrum as a grown man
3. And so on...

wildside2014
07-02-2014, 11:45 AM
I dont think anyone with a walleye in a bucket is getting put in their place by raging on a public dock.

All that would tech a kid is that it is ok to

1. Not do the right thing
2. That's it's ok to have a temper tantrum as a grown man
3. And so on...

lol fair enough!

kevinhits
07-02-2014, 11:54 AM
I would have to agree with BG....But I would have approached them like I always do when I see this, in a polite manner and remind them of the Regs but to kick or throw the bucket into the water is a little excessive. I was at CVR a couple weeks ago and seen some Hutterites fishing off the rocks and noticed they pulled in some type of fish...It looked small to me where I was fishing from but decided to walk over and see what they put in the pail. It was a pike and asked if they measured it...He said they do not measure them but it was actually 27"......All I did was ask them how the fishing was for them and still got to check them without being aggresive and having a chat with them:)

albertabighorn
07-02-2014, 11:56 AM
F&W would charge them if they had the info without any evidence. Everyone involved would get a day in court unless they pled guilty right off the bat. At the very least cause some headaches for them.

travellingflyguy
07-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I just call regardless, it helps catching as many as possible in broad daylight even tho you will never catch em all especially Asians lurking the night fishing.

BeeGuy
07-02-2014, 01:07 PM
I just call regardless, it helps catching as many as possible in broad daylight even tho you will never catch em all especially Asians lurking the night fishing.

Do you run into a lot of Asian poachers when you are flyfishing in the dark?

Do you call F&W?

jacenbeers
07-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Do you run into a lot of Asian poachers when you are flyfishing in the dark?

Do you call F&W?

This is by far the best reply on this thread.

Jimboy
07-03-2014, 07:12 PM
This is by far the best reply on this thread.

Well , heres another way of looking at it jacen , if l,m down at mcgreger fishing the south dam and theres 15 white guys fishing there and 25 chinese , and l see all the chinese keeping the ilegal fish ,l call the fish cops and tell them theres 40 people fishing there and 25 are poaching l know for sure , so the fish cop says how do l tell who the poachers are he says , can you identifiy them for me , l say yes , its all 25 of the chinese , so do you see racisum there , or just fact.

BeeGuy
07-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Well , heres another way of looking at it jacen , if l,m down at mcgreger fishing the south dam and theres 15 white guys fishing there and 25 chinese , and l see all the chinese keeping the ilegal fish ,l call the fish cops and tell them theres 40 people fishing there and 25 are poaching l know for sure , so the fish cop says how do l tell who the poachers are he says , can you identifiy them for me , l say yes , its all 25 of the chinese , so do you see racisum there , or just fact.

Your example reeks of racisum.

Pics or it didn't happen.

spinN'flyfish
07-03-2014, 07:48 PM
i've those ''asians'' use raw ground pork for bait........

Gslice
07-03-2014, 08:00 PM

Since when was keeping a couple of lake whites illegal?

last minute
07-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Doesn’t sound like the situation was handled correctly .

jacenbeers
07-03-2014, 08:28 PM

I agree that if you called in somebody and described them to F&W as Asian than that is fact and not racism.

spinN'flyfish
07-03-2014, 09:22 PM
I agree that if you called in somebody and described them to F&W as Asian than that is fact and not racism.

how would you describe other ''asians'' southern or western?

lochness
07-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Just round them up, problems solved.

Kokanee9
07-03-2014, 10:01 PM
It's unfortunate the turn that this thread has taken.

Not cool.

wildwoods
07-03-2014, 10:57 PM
The thread has kinda run it's course. In a nutshell some here feel to abide by the book in every instance in life. I kinda sympathize with the OP. Emotion happens. Wether you acted right or wrong I feel your righteous indignation will have its desired effect. Those guys will think twice next time. Ends do not justify means but at least your motive was excellent. Keep it real

lilsundance
07-03-2014, 11:07 PM
I agree this has run its course.