PDA

View Full Version : White milky stuff leaking out of my prop

tonypower
06-29-2014, 07:27 PM
I have a 15 hp Johnson outboard. I started it up today to finally get it out for the first time. Started no problem. After I was done and packing it up I noticed the was a cream coloured sludge co ring out of the prop. I changed the leg oil last year and did it again today. When I dumped the oil it normal. Just wondering if this is normal? I don't have a ton of experience. Also it smells like gas not gear oil.

fluxcore
06-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Just gear grease I think. Manufactures say to apply a liberal amount after each season on the prop spindle. It's white

Falko
06-29-2014, 08:19 PM
How did it run? What do the plugs look like?

tonypower
06-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Ya it runs great. I was worried that the lower leg was damaged but I changed the oil again today and it looked brand new. Plug looks fine.

bikerman
06-30-2014, 07:13 AM
Exhaust exits near the prop. Some oil will remain unburned in a 2 stroke. When it mixes with water it turns milky. Might be what you spotted.

Bushleague
06-30-2014, 08:15 AM
When last year did you change your oil? Where was the motor stored? How did the oil look when you changed it last year?

Depending on the answeres to these questions I think a lower leg seal leak is a possibility. If the out board is not getting much use and oil is passing the seal while it sits, and the outboard is exposed to the elements, you can get milky oil showing up around the prop without much for moisture getting into the gear case. Leave the outboard siting straight up and down and put a drainpan under it to see what shows up.

Changing this seal is not a difficult or expensive job but you might need a slide hammer or puller to pull the housing out and some means of driving the seal in without brutalizing it with a punch. Depending on the dimensions of your seal you might not be able to use a socket to push it in.

50/50
06-30-2014, 09:18 AM
If you feel your leg seals are good(and you said the oil was not milky when drained) : it is residue oil coming out through the exhaust. Especially if you didn't warm it up and run at full rpm , the mixing oil doesn't burn completely

RavYak
06-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Just unburnt fuel/oil. Quite common on 2 strokes.

tonypower
06-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Awesome, thanks guys. I thought it wasnt a big deal. expecilly when I smelt it and it smelt like gas. Thanks again for all your help. Tight lines!!

Levy
06-30-2014, 09:56 AM
I can't speak for everyone else but i know in my experience every fall before we put our outboards away we pop the bottom plug and check the oil. If its creamy instead of golden coloured we know we have had water leak into the leg and we drain the leg so it doesn't freeze and crack the housing of the leg over winter. If you are having creamy white stuff leak out of your leg it sounds like this is exactly what happened to your leg. Try pulling the plug on the bottom of your leg and see what colour the oil is. Best of luck.

Kokanee9
07-01-2014, 10:18 AM
..... After I was done and packing it up I noticed the was a cream coloured sludge co ring out of the prop. I changed the leg oil last year and did it again today. When I dumped the oil it normal. Just wondering if this is normal? I don't have a ton of experience. Also it smells like gas not gear oil.

It's good that you noticed little things like this. That's the first step to knowing something is wrong before it turns into a major failure. You not only noticed the sludge, but also noticed that it had a gas smell to it.

When you have the motor going full, is it enough to plane the boat and let the rpm's climb, or does the boat stay down in the water and the motor works hard but never reaches full rpm's?

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but try running the motor at full for a while before packing it up next time your out. By a while, I mean 20-30 minutes. This should help to blow any residue out of the exhaust passage. Also check the recommended mixture for your motor. Perhaps it's mixed too rich. The older ones were premixed at 50:1. The one I have now is oil injected at 100:1.

WayneChristie
07-01-2014, 10:20 AM
perhaps it was just really really happy to be back on the water? :bad_boys_20:

CBintheNorth
07-01-2014, 01:03 PM
perhaps it was just really really happy to be back on the water? :bad_boys_20:

baaazziiiiiiiiinngg!!!!!!