PDA

View Full Version : Ledgering in Alberta?

DukesArcher
07-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Is the method of ledgering popular in Alberta for bottom feeding fish? One of my favourite methods in fishing is just putting out a carp rod on the bite alarm and waiting.

WayneChristie
07-01-2014, 10:18 AM
same method I use for sturgeon, without the baitboats, slingshots and dummies. ok just the one dummy :bad_boys_20:wonder how the carp rods would hold up to a big lake sturgeon, I imagine some are pretty heavy action. I prefer 7 foot rods though not the longer ones.

DukesArcher
07-01-2014, 11:06 AM
same method I use for sturgeon, without the baitboats, slingshots and dummies. ok just the one dummy :bad_boys_20:wonder how the carp rods would hold up to a big lake sturgeon, I imagine some are pretty heavy action. I prefer 7 foot rods though not the longer ones.

The bait boats are ridiculous! Never would I use one. To be honest one of my favourite carp rods is cane and is married to a nice centrepin reel. Never use boiles either :)

DukesArcher
07-01-2014, 11:08 AM
What are the main tactics on the NSR?

fish gunner
07-01-2014, 11:24 AM
What are the main tactics on the NSR?

Pickerl rigs . A form of legering. On occasion I leger for trout if im out with folks that dont fly fish or are very proficient at spin casting.
WC most carp rods would do fine on dinos. I suggest one could subdue them quicker with a13' rod over a7'. Give similar line wt. Bait runners may come in handy also.

DukesArcher
07-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Ledgering for trout sounds fun. Anything that uses an electric bite alarm so I can just relax and wait:)
Not sure if you guys do much waggler fishing or trotting with centrepin reels?

fish gunner
07-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Ledgering for trout sounds fun. Anything that uses an electric bite alarm so I can just relax and wait:)

A few but its not terribly common some do for steelhead out west ..and in Ontario . Trotting flys is gaining some popularity on the bow given its advantages over fly casting nymphs. The regs here do not allow free baiting limiting most euro methods from full potential. I keep a few wagglers and stick floats in my tackle for use if the need should arise.

Bushleague
07-01-2014, 01:42 PM
I've always been fascinated with euro methods of fishing. To me the gear and the methods often seems more practical, especialy if one is shorebound. I think in North America a lot of the gear and methods that have become popular are heavily influenced by the tournament scene and may not always be the most practical for the average fisherman. In Europe it seems to be the opposite, to me anyways.

I fish a variety of ways but you'll probably find a slip sinker and a floating jig head baited with a minnow on the end of my line more than anything else.

BCSteel
07-02-2014, 02:07 AM

I use an 11'6" rod and a small centre pin quite frequently to float for goldeye on the nsr. Pick up a walleye once in a while too.

I was thinking about load in up one of my bigger pins with 60 or 80lb braid and putting it on my sturgeon rod :scared0018:

waterninja
07-02-2014, 09:23 AM
ledgering? waggleing?
don't think about my accountant too much when i'm fishing and i'm not sure it's legal to allow your dog to fish.

fish gunner
07-02-2014, 01:53 PM
ledgering? waggleing?
don't think about my accountant too much when i'm fishing and i'm not sure it's legal to allow your dog to fish.
Euro terms for styles of fishing .ledgering is weight on bottom all the way to helicopter rigs for carp. Waggler is useing pencil floats that bottom attach . Can be fished on the drop or on the lift. :) hope thst helps.