PDA

View Full Version : Freeman River

AVA
07-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Trying to decide if I should hit up the Freeman river up by whitecourt yet. Anyone know the river conditions right now? I looked up the water flow and the levels are coming down from the spring run off but I'm not sure if it's fishable yet. Usually within the first week or so of July it's ok, but I know this year was kinda nasty.

ironbutterfly
07-01-2014, 02:53 PM
I went about 2 weeks ago and it was high and murky (you couldn't see a foot below the surface). I live down by calgary now but if the rivers here are an indicator it might be passable in a week or two without rain. It was my fist time up there and I just caught one fish and it was about 3 inches long.

Incidentally if anyone could give me suggestions on how to fish for grayling I'd love it. I fish for trout mainly and grayling seem to not hang out in the same spots or else not take the same flies. Nymphing pools usually would produce a few fish for trout but didn't seem to produce on this recent trip.

AVA
07-01-2014, 09:35 PM
I find grayling to be way easier to fish for than trout. If you were nymphimg pools and that wasn't working for you, I'd attribute that to the river quality. When the water is nice and clear at the freeman, it's not uncommon to have a 50 fish day. Its where I take people who are learning to fly fish cause it's almost instant gratification fishing.

That being said, prince nymphs and hares ear nymphs are always a winner for me. Elk hair caddis, humpys, and stimulators do well for dries for me as well.

I'm gunna head up to the freeman in the next week or two. I'll report on how it is when I get back.