PDA

View Full Version : Fac?

s.johnson.89
11-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I am a new hunter who has aquired my hunting license, and I have someone who wants to take me out for my first hunt.Is my FAC and fire arms course required before I can fill my tags? I am trying to educate myself as much as possible and want to become a respectful hunter and follow all laws.

Thanks.

deanmc
11-08-2008, 12:30 AM
If you are borrowing a gun from someone with a PAL(Possession and Aquisition Licence) AND hunting under their direct supervision you are ok. If you wish to hunt alone you are legally required to have a PAL of your own.

This being said many many friends of mine have hunted without one.:evilgrin: Many of them have been checked by CEO's and none of them have been asked for a PAL.

I am someone that is scared:scared: of being the first, so i took a two year break after the PAL requirement. I would not leave the house with a firearm without this, nor would i advise anyone else to. Many others do without a problem.:wave:

"Q. Can I borrow a firearm that is registered to someone else?

Yes, if you have a firearms licence that is valid for that class of firearm. When you borrow a firearm, borrow the registration certificate too so that you can provide proof that the firearm is registered if you need to.

If you do not have a valid firearms licence, or if your licence is not valid for the class of firearm you wish to borrow, you may borrow the firearm only if you are under the direct and immediate supervision of a suitably licensed adult (aged 18 or older) and there are no court orders prohibiting you from possessing firearms or other weapons"

Taken from here.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/faq/transfer_cession_e.asp#c6

Dick284
11-08-2008, 08:00 AM
First off you require a Firearms Licence (PAL), as FAC's hav'nt been around since the mid 1990's.

You can use a firends firearm if they the licenced holder maintain direct supervision over you. Direct supervision is for the most part often discribed as being within arms reach (no legal definition actually exists), you yourself must be legally able to possess firearms as well. (no prohibition orders).

Your pretty much toast for this season, as it will likely take longer than 30 days to actually have the CFC process and issue you your own PAL.
Something to work on for next year.

Eyeswideshut
11-08-2008, 10:59 AM
I know a couple people that do this with spouses to fill extra draw tags. They are legal to get tags and such, and get their wives enter the draws,.. and they both hunt together with the husbands PAL.