PDA

View Full Version : Fight of a lifetime

Crankbait
07-01-2014, 10:27 PM
new line, old reel, new rod, smelt below a willow leaf below a weight below a second leader, perfect cast to my sweet spot on the lake. nothing for 15 minutes so I decide to reel in for a recast, then slammo! fight on and it wanted to stay deep, which was ok as I knew the structure of the area but was worried about my line holding out. speed boat zooms by and the wake disturbs the fight and it makes an odd diving turn on me so I let the drag off a bit and wait for it to settle before slightly tightening the drag to bring it to shore. weird wobble on the rod and my line skitters sideways and the beast is about to come into view. at the thickest part it was only about 16 inches but total length was easily 11 feet. I was unaware that a waterlogged poplar could put up such an awesome fight? next week I think I'm going to target a lodge pole pine or an old fence post with barbed wire still attached.

as for the finned fare, 40 c&r'd, slow morning bite with a steady to hot afternoon bite. but that tree, wow, what a battle.

huntsfurfish
07-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Would love to see a picture.;)

fish gunner
07-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Lol had a line burner on kootaney lake once similar result . Poplar branch that was spining die to hook placement. Lol

Crankbait
07-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Would love to see a picture.;)

I shook it loose near shore but I think it may still be there when I go back. wouldn't fit in the net and I think poplar are finished spawning so it may just stay put until ice time, who knows???

Lund rebel
07-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Ha ha those are the best ones, caught a foam waterlogged soccer ball with a rope on it tangled in weeds was pulling the boat around but the rope was jumping so I thought it was shaking. I almost fell over laughing when I landed it.

huntsfurfish
07-01-2014, 10:55 PM
I shook it loose near shore but I think it may still be there when I go back. wouldn't fit in the net and I think poplar are finished spawning so it may just stay put until ice time, who knows???

lol

Crankbait
07-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Ha ha those are the best ones, caught a foam waterlogged soccer ball with a rope on it tangled in weeds was pulling the boat around but the rope was jumping so I thought it was shaking. I almost fell over laughing when I landed it.

wow, I don't think that catch can be duplicated. did you mount it or punt it?

Lund rebel
07-01-2014, 11:02 PM
wow, I don't think that catch can be duplicated. did you mount it or punt it?

Threw it at the boat next to me laughing, it hit them hard that thing was heavy, we still laugh about it and I actually got a fishing jersey made on the back has a soccer ball and says "its a monster"

Crankbait
07-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Threw it at the boat next to me laughing, it hit them hard that thing was heavy, we still laugh about it and I actually got a fishing jersey made on the back has a soccer ball and says "its a monster"

that is very cool and uber obscure, do people ask about the jersey or just look at you sideways with an awkward smile?

I've heard that an opened umbrella puts up a better fight than a halibut?

Lund rebel
07-01-2014, 11:09 PM
that is very cool and uber obscure, do people ask about the jersey or just look at you sideways with an awkward smile?

I've heard that an opened umbrella puts up a better fight than a halibut?

I just tell them I don't mess around when I fish, serious angler. Most people i fish with were there it was a family tournament 50 of us in a area fishing when it happened.

Crankbait
07-01-2014, 11:11 PM
I just tell them I don't mess around when I fish, serious angler. Most people i fish with were there it was a family tournament 50 of us in a area fishing when it happened.

what did you catch it on?

Lund rebel
07-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Caught it in between 6-10 feet of water on a crankbait bouncing it off the bottom. My girlfriend caught a fishing rod complete with reel in the same spot later date so I think someone may have dumped there boat there.

Crankbait
07-01-2014, 11:26 PM
Caught it in between 6-10 feet of water on a crankbait bouncing it off the bottom. My girlfriend caught a fishing rod complete with reel in the same spot later date so I think someone may have dumped there boat there.

wow! if you and your gf work that honey hole for a month or so you could start a small sporting goods store.

talked to a guy last week who had caught a pair of pants, marked the spot, went back and spotted a 9.9 mercury. I wonder how much stuff is down there besides lost lures?

we lost an old metal cooler filled with beer off the roof of a houseboat into lake Okanagan and it sunk like a stone to the dark depths. I wonder how long till it decays and releases the brewskis?

Red Bullets
07-01-2014, 11:54 PM
I once fought a rock on my line for 5 minutes. I had my drag set fairly fairly stiff and everytime I stopped pumping and reeling, the rock would fight its way back to the bottom. Weighed in at about 4 lbs.... caught it on 6 lb. line.

tight line
07-02-2014, 12:01 AM
Pics or it didn't happen!! LOL

Crankbait
07-02-2014, 12:13 AM
I once fought a rock on my line for 5 minutes. I had my drag set fairly fairly stiff and everytime I stopped pumping and reeling, the rock would fight its way back to the bottom. Weighed in at about 4 lbs.... caught it on 6 lb. line.

when you fileted it did your knife just get sharper and sharper?

Crankbait
07-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Pics or it didn't happen!! LOL

and then what? everyone will figure out my spot and before you know it complete deforestation.

fluxcore
07-02-2014, 12:28 AM
and then what? everyone will figure out my spot and before you know it complete deforestation.

Lolol pics

Red Bullets
07-02-2014, 12:28 AM
when you fileted it did your knife just get sharper and sharper?

I had to release it. I didn't get the sedimentary draw.:(

Crankbait
07-02-2014, 12:56 AM
I had to release it. I didn't get the sedimentary draw.:(

hahaha

I hope you released it properly as there's nothing sadder than watching your catch sink like a stone.