PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Stampede Poster of Horse

GasGas
07-03-2014, 05:33 AM
Just saw this years poster. Beautiful horse.

First thing that went thru my mind was 'how many going to 'die' this year?
(horses, that is)
It actually sickens me that the company I work for sponsors a team.

Anyone else think the 'chucks' as entertainment is an event whose time has surely passed?

Matt L.
07-03-2014, 06:07 AM
Not at all. Those horses are doing what they love and have been bred to do, race.

connexion123
07-03-2014, 06:16 AM
Not at all. Those horses are doing what they love and have been bred to do, race.

Agree

josey
07-03-2014, 06:32 AM
If they don't go race for the Chucks they go to the slaughter house. The horses love racing and most likely get treated way better with the Chucks families than ever before.
Go take a look and talk to some guys there. They are horse people through and through.

cowboyhunter
07-03-2014, 06:42 AM
Maybe the company you work for should take a look at your performance. Those horses are in the best place for them. The people that own them and the guys that work with them take the absolute best care of them every day!

catnthehat
07-03-2014, 06:49 AM

(horses, that is)

Anyone else think the 'chucks' as entertainment is an event whose time has surely passed?

This is about the same as saying sled dog racing is cruel and unusual punishment.:thinking-006:
I guess calf roping and bull riding is cruel as well?
How about barrel racing or steeplejack?
Fox hunting and bear hunting?
Shooting gophers?
Cat

Grizzly Adams
07-03-2014, 06:56 AM

(horses, that is)

Next you'll be telling us merely riding a horse is cruel and inhumane. :confused:

Grizz

josey
07-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Next you'll be telling us merely riding a horse is cruel and inhumane. :confused:

Grizz

And don't forget about eating meat!

Bushmaster
07-03-2014, 07:11 AM
C'mon Cat, you gotta admit shooting gophers IS cruel !!

But damn, its a lotta fun !! :D

Dewey Cox
07-03-2014, 07:13 AM

(horses, that is)

I'm pretty sure you knew the answer before you asked.

bruceba
07-03-2014, 07:19 AM
An amazing 2 posts a year, don't let the pace wear you down. I share some of the same thoughts as you. What a beautiful horse, correction I share one thought with you, what a beautiful horse.

FishingMOM
07-03-2014, 07:23 AM
This argument happens every year, and every year feathers get ruffled.

Just remember boys and girls who hate the stampede, without the settlers who came west on horse back and caravan there would be no Alberta.
So back off and leave the traditional way of life alone. The animals are well take care of, they are cared for better than many cats and dogs.

Sundancefisher
07-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Horses are great. They provide tranportation, labour, entertainment and meat depending upon where you are in the world.

Riders and owners bond to the animals and treat them very well.

As for the chucks and other stampede events...they show tremendous skills of the riders and horses.

Enjoy it or don't watch it. Trying to spread ones hatred of these traditional skills is sad.

CaberTosser
07-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Well then if you're truly sickened by your employers choice to sponsor chuckwagon racing, then the right thing to do is to spell it out clearly in your letter of resignation; its the right thing to do for a person of conscience.

I might ask though, how you feel that activity is so different from hobbies such as hunting, or catching fish by tricking them into injesting your hook and line? It could be noted that the horses get pampered and cared for and only have the risk of injury, rather than the more substantial injury/death rates of the other noted pastimes :thinking-006:

If human males could retire after winning careers of racing track and field or cycling events and would then be put out to stud, I think we'd see Olympic records being shattered more regularly ;)

doetracks
07-03-2014, 07:58 AM
I will echo the sentiments.

NO.

RBI
07-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Ok , here's my take on the subject , I think a lot of ones attitude or opinions depends a great deal on where/how there were brought up , case in point ...
are you city or country ? For those of you raised country , life and death is something you have grown up with and you see death a lot different than those of us who have lived a city life.

I think that where the city life view ( perhaps some country life view too ) , problem is , is that something ( anything ) dies while involved in a man made event , that exists ( in this day & age ) only for an entertainment value .

Don't get me wrong , I'm not an anti , but looking at the picture from both sides , ... I'm not sure that I'm completely pro either .

It seems that " Sporting " have given way to " Entertainment " these days , in just about everything , from hockey , football , baseball , yes soccer , to motor sports , a whole bunch of other things I can't think of rate now , and yes to Rodeo .

With all the billions of do$$ars being spent in advertising , endorsements , tickets etc. the level of competition has gotten to a degree in which a lot would consider... too far , and this is where people and animals are dying.

These events are no longer ...sporting events , there are entertainment events, the difference being that there was once a day , that a kid grew up dreaming of becoming a sports star.... for the Love of the game , now ...
its for the all mighty buck $$$$$.

How far will it or does it have to go ??? :thinking-006:

My thoughts , maybe/probably not yours

Winch101
07-03-2014, 08:32 AM
To single out Chuck racing as act of cruelty in an event like the
Stampede. If your an animal rights activist ,you can't like Bullldoggin,
Calf Roping , Bronc Riding ( that cinch oweee ) . The cruelty to humans
How many cases of food poisoning , ecoli , have been handed out on that
Midway . That petting Zoo, god !how would you like all those dirty little kids
Pawing at you.
You could look at it as just another Pagan Ritual , in some ways we haven't
Come that far in 2000 years . I'm optimistic we will evolve , not likely in the near future.
And you know what they say......Someone has to speak for the animals .
Neiiiiigh I say .

josey
07-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Ok , here's my take on the subject , I think a lot of ones attitude or opinions depends a great deal on where/how there were brought up , case in point ...
are you city or country ? For those of you raised country , life and death is something you have grown up with and you see death a lot different than those of us who have lived a city life.

I think that where the city life view ( perhaps some country life view too ) , problem is , is that something ( anything ) dies while involved in a man made event , that exists ( in this day & age ) only for an entertainment value .

Don't get me wrong , I'm not an anti , but looking at the picture from both sides , ... I'm not sure that I'm completely pro either .

It seems that " Sporting " have given way to " Entertainment " these days , in just about everything , from hockey , football , baseball , yes soccer , to motor sports , a whole bunch of other things I can't think of rate now , and yes to Rodeo .

With all the billions of do$$ars being spent in advertising , endorsements , tickets etc. the level of competition has gotten to a degree in which a lot would consider... too far , and this is where people and animals are dying.

These events are no longer ...sporting events , there are entertainment events, the difference being that there was once a day , that a kid grew up dreaming of becoming a sports star.... for the Love of the game , now ...
its for the all mighty buck $$$$$.

How far will it or does it have to go ??? :thinking-006:

My thoughts , maybe/probably not yours

So gladiator fights were not entertainment but ....???

6.5swedeforelk
07-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Aah, another anti thread!

Gasgas, you could try work on fitting one of those small chuckwagon ponies into a 330 conibear trap and deliver a double whammy to your anti crusades.

Supply pics to the press, include your family, mention the animals' name at least three times.

A vet bill ( app. $300,000, going by body mass ratio) would be a nice touch.

Winch101
07-03-2014, 08:52 AM
We don't all have to go to the Colloseum , under penalty of flogging .

Hail Nenshi Augustus , as I say , we haven't progressed much .

Celebrate our Heritage ,let's all go down to the Arena and beat up some

Animals . I'm as guilty as most , front row tickets ,for the finals

I'm just a little ****ed we got rid of the Lions .

6.5swedeforelk
07-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Anyone know where this race occured?

3blade
07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Once upon a time, a troll sat under his bridge hooking suckers.......

Matt L.
07-03-2014, 09:16 AM

What's the date on the post?

missingtwo
07-03-2014, 09:28 AM

(horses, that is)

Who is your employer? I will have a word with them and see if I can straighten them out.

The Fisherman Guy
07-03-2014, 09:32 AM

Some people need something to complain about, frequently on this subject the erroneous part of their argument is their inexperience and lack of knowledge on the subject. Unfortunately for them, only their ignorance is apparent in their argument, and their point is lost.

bessiedog
07-03-2014, 09:40 AM
I had one of those deep fried bacon wrapped corn dogs at the Stampede a few years back.

Those things are an act of cruelty to humans.... And nobody has the right to abuse bacon like that!!!

hillbillyreefer
07-03-2014, 09:58 AM
About 850 horses are slaughtered every weekday on the EU for meat. The windgers are crying about the possibility of a casualty, makes you wonder if some people on here hunt and fish or just eat their veggies.

Don't forget we slaughter about 100000/yr in Canada.

Don't forget about 140,000 head of cattle slaughtered in (combined) Canada&US/DAY.

24 billion chickens on the planet, that's 2billion/month, 67 million slaughtered per day.

Okotokian
07-03-2014, 10:52 AM
This argument happens every year, and every year feathers get ruffled.

Just remember boys and girls who hate the stampede, without the settlers who came west on horse back and caravan there would be no Alberta.
So back off and leave the traditional way of life alone.

I don't think that particular argument flies. First recorded chuckwagon race was in 1923. What you see at the Stampede isn't traditional western frontier activity. Has nothing to do with settlers other than that they did have chuckwagons.

And I don't hate the stampede. ;)

The Fisherman Guy
07-03-2014, 11:18 AM
I don't think that particular argument flies. First recorded chuckwagon race was in 1923. What you see at the Stampede isn't traditional western frontier activity. Has nothing to do with settlers other than that they did have chuckwagons.

And I don't hate the stampede. ;)

One theory is, Chuckwagon races originated as a race between travelling wagons to the nearest bar. At the start of the race, camp would be broke and packed away in haste into the wagon, and proceed to race to the bar and the last wagon to the bar would buy the first round of drinks.

The Stampede Chuckwagon brand "Bar-8-0" references; the bar, 8 being the figure 8 the chucks must navigate before heading down the track, and the 0 being the track itself.

Several modifications have been made to the races over the years including the size, weight and number of the 'camp items' to be tossed into the wagon. Now only a stove, which is commonly represented by two rubber feed dishes tied together, is the only item to be tossed into the wagon.

The first chuckwagon races were different from today. Not only did the driver of the wagon need to run the 8, and make it down the track with his outriders close behind; But upon crossing the finish line, the driver would have to unhook his team of horses, set up a tarp off the wagon, and start a fire. The first wagon to show smoke from the fire, without any penalties - was the winner.

Today's race may not seem like a traditional western frontier activity to you Okotokian, but it represents activities common to ranch hands during the time of chuckwagon race inception.

Okotokian
07-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Today's race may not seem like a traditional western frontier activity to you Okotokian, but it represents activities common to ranch hands during the time of chuckwagon race inception.

Well, "representative" in the same way that all the guys working in the office towers downtown wearing cowboy boots is "representative' of the early cowboys. Nobody raced around a closed track with outriders in the 1800's, and I suspect that if a race to the bar resulted in dead horses, the ranch owner might have something to say about that "tradition" continuing. LOL. ;)

FCLightning
07-03-2014, 11:36 AM
and I suspect that if a race to the bar resulted in dead horses, the ranch owner might have something to say about that "tradition" continuing. LOL. ;)

There are working cowboys in Alberta that still "pack" when they ride. And it isn't for personal protection.

roger
07-03-2014, 11:37 AM
I don't do the whole horse lovin' thing, the stampede, the whole goings on or anything to do with it.

I certainly don't go out of my way to support it.
it will continue just fine without me.
but those who like it...carry on with it.

houndsmen
07-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Well, "representative" in the same way that all the guys working in the office towers downtown wearing cowboy boots is "representative' of the early cowboys. Nobody raced around a closed track with outriders in the 1800's, and I suspect that if a race to the bar resulted in dead horses, the ranch owner might have something to say about that "tradition" continuing. LOL. ;)

Find something to do with your life Oko, Calgary takes enough crap from granola eating idiots all over the world. Probably don't need you arguing the history of chuck wagons armed with whatever you can find on google.

Foxton Gundogs
07-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Actually the chucks come from the Land Runs of the 1800s so the history goes back well beyond 1923
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/landrush.htm

The Fisherman Guy
07-03-2014, 11:51 AM
I suspect that if a race to the bar resulted in dead horses, the ranch owner might have something to say about that "tradition" continuing.

Lets not forget; all horse activities result in some animal death, however are rarely - if ever - publicized.

The Fitness to Compete program put in place by the Calgary Stampede is one avenue among many designed primarily with chuckwagon animal welfare as a top priority.

Fitness to Compete Program (http://corporate.calgarystampede.com/animal-care/fitness-to-compete)

walking buffalo
07-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Lets not forget; all horse activities result in some animal death, however are rarely - if ever - publicized.

The Fitness to Compete program put in place by the Calgary Stampede is one avenue among many designed primarily with chuckwagon animal welfare as a top priority.

Fitness to Compete Program (http://corporate.calgarystampede.com/animal-care/fitness-to-compete)

They should chip the vets too.

Okotokian
07-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Find something to do with your life Oko, Calgary takes enough crap from granola eating idiots all over the world. Probably don't need you arguing the history of chuck wagons armed with whatever you can find on google.

Why not try getting twisted and bitter over something important, eh? ;)

Could not care less what you think.

Redfrog
07-03-2014, 12:21 PM

It's easy to speculate, but I was there :snapoutofit:

Cowboy shoes have been a Bodo tradition for hundreds of years, since the early 1900s. The modern chuckwagon race hasn't changed much. A lot of the cowboys were teenagers who partied all night and slept in. They had to catch up with the herd or get fired. Why do you think they run around in circles?

And can someone tell me how kicking a soccer ball in the face is sport, but Rodeo is just wrong?:thinking-006: What is wrong with this country??

243 wild cat
07-03-2014, 01:33 PM
If they don't go race for the Chucks they go to the slaughter house. The horses love racing and most likely get treated way better with the Chucks families than ever before.
Go take a look and talk to some guys there. They are horse people through and through.

If you where to see how them horses get treated year after year its unbelievable. Go back in the barns at the track its free and your welcome to look at every outfit there and talk to the owners see how proud they are of them horses. How you could judge how they are treated by a picture is just ludicrous. Them horses and i mean every horse thats on that track would not be there if it weren't for the CHUCKS!! they love what they do and thats RUN!! for their entertainment and ours. :sign0176:

243 wild cat
07-03-2014, 01:35 PM

(horses, that is)

Then QUIT!

houndsmen
07-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Why not try getting twisted and bitter over something important, eh? ;)

Could not care less what you think.

Why not stick to posting about things you have half a clue about, start a thread about your favourite stapler or something. In the mean time it would be nice if everyone that hardly knows which end of a horse the hay goes into would stay out of trying to "ban" more rodeo sports, or anything else doesn't suit there fancy. There's no in the middle with this stuff, your for it or your against it!

Chuck_Wagon
07-03-2014, 02:17 PM

Nope, if you don't like it, don't watch it :)

Cheers
Chuck_Wagon

6.5swedeforelk
07-03-2014, 02:18 PM
What's the date on the post?

About June 29.

DiabeticKripple
07-03-2014, 02:22 PM

i believe the airdrie rodeo was this past weekend (27-29th)

josey
07-03-2014, 02:28 PM
i believe the airdrie rodeo was this past weekend (27-29th)

It wasn't there!
Ponoka maybe though. The chucks were up there last weekend.

Matt L.
07-03-2014, 03:17 PM
About June 29.

Sedgwick. That's the Alberta Professional Chuckwagon & Chariot Association. Also called the pony chucks.

The Fisherman Guy
07-03-2014, 05:40 PM
For those who have heard of Temple Grandin; she visited the Calgary Stampede last year and spoke publicly about her observations.

Temple Grandin Calgary Stampede Interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KAJ6GzTumY)

zeek
07-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Calgary was born and raised on the cowboy. that is our heritage...don't like it?...move somewhere else.

Battle Rat
07-03-2014, 06:55 PM

(horses, that is)

Well if you decide to quit please include your thoughts on the matter in your resume so that the recruiter knows where to file it.

FishingMOM
07-03-2014, 07:31 PM
I am not alberta born nor raised, my son is.

I have however tried my damnest to make sure that he gets to see what goes out outside the city and he has participated in the Airdrie Rodeo as a youngun'.

The 1st summer I was here I started attending rodeo, and getting my rump into the barns and talking to the coyboys and learning, this was long before I ever had my boy.
One thing I learned was the pride and joy the coyboys and cowgirls had in their stock. Every rodeo we attend we get behind the scenes and talk to the guys and gals, I can't tell you how many horses Brandon has been on because he has asked nicely and smiled.

58thecat
07-03-2014, 07:35 PM

Yep

58thecat
07-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Calgary was born and raised on the cowboy. that is our heritage...don't like it?...move somewhere else.

Yep again:)

58thecat
07-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Nope, if you don't like it, don't watch it :)

Cheers
Chuck_Wagon

Geez this is an easy thread as yep again:sHa_shakeshout:

Rafter_G
07-03-2014, 08:21 PM
I very rarely get involved in discussions such as this, but I think it is important to note a few things, and I believe I can comment on this with a certain amount of authority and experience.
I understand the meat of this discussion is on the wagon horses, but I am comfortable stating the mindset is similar in both industries.
My wife, 2 boys and I run a bucking bull ranch here in Southern Alberta. We have a set of mother cows and spend countless hours working with the young bulls so as that when they get to town, they aren't climbing trees, or rattled out of their skull. Our monthly grain bill would pay the mortgage on mine, and many other folks house. That isn't a complaint by any means, it is just a glimpse into the efforts we put forth every day to ensure our cattle are in peak health.
When we arrive and unload in Calgary, we have already signed an animal welfare contract that accompanied our contract to provide stock. We are greeted by several vets, including Jennifer Woods, who has taught animal emergency safety courses for decades. The animals are looked over prior to bucking, then again after when they are in a water pen being monitored. Good bulls are worth over a million dollars, it is insane to think that we would jeopardize their health.
It is a fact that we have to deal with misinformed activists, we see it every year in different places. I used to flip out and lay cussings, but that got me nowhere, and gave them more fuel.
I extend an invite to anyone who has concerns that our animals, who are raised and bred to buck at bull ridings and rodeos, are being mistreated, to pay us a visit. We don't bite, and the coffee is always hot, and the beer is always cold. Information is powerful.

The Fisherman Guy
07-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Well said Rafter_G. Your first input is fantastic to educate those who are acting on emotion with little fact to stand on.

For those curious, Jennifer Woods is an independent Animal Welfare Auditor and Veterinarian who has scrutinized all rodeo and chuckwagon events and has advised the Calgary Stampede on how to continually improve animal welfare and safety.

Here is her report from last year:

Calgary Stampede Animal Care Assessment July 2013 (http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1204509/0517-001-1.pdf)

walking buffalo
07-03-2014, 10:42 PM
They should chip the vets too.

Hey TFG, playing it safe? :lol:

Wise move. :)

wildwoods
07-03-2014, 11:01 PM
OP come on. Opened a can of worms and split. Thanks for trolling by....

wildwoods
07-03-2014, 11:05 PM
I like the stampede and the culture surrounding it. I know a hard core rodeo cowboy and know full well the love and training he invests in his horses. The horses are born and bred for this.

Giles
07-03-2014, 11:06 PM
It wasn't there!
Ponoka maybe though. The chucks were up there last weekend.

This race was the Dash for cash in the pony chucks at the Ponoka Stampede . Dale Young was the driver . I was there abd he smoked the others off the 4 barrle and made a heck of a run ! Very impressive and fast !

wildwoods
07-03-2014, 11:12 PM
This is about the same as saying sled dog racing is cruel and unusual punishment.:thinking-006:
Shooting gophers?
Cat

Yep^^ our entire existence as hunters and fishers.....

Foxton Gundogs
07-03-2014, 11:21 PM
I very rarely get involved in discussions such as this, but I think it is important to note a few things, and I believe I can comment on this with a certain amount of authority and experience.
I understand the meat of this discussion is on the wagon horses, but I am comfortable stating the mindset is similar in both industries.
My wife, 2 boys and I run a bucking bull ranch here in Southern Alberta. We have a set of mother cows and spend countless hours working with the young bulls so as that when they get to town, they aren't climbing trees, or rattled out of their skull. Our monthly grain bill would pay the mortgage on mine, and many other folks house. That isn't a complaint by any means, it is just a glimpse into the efforts we put forth every day to ensure our cattle are in peak health.
When we arrive and unload in Calgary, we have already signed an animal welfare contract that accompanied our contract to provide stock. We are greeted by several vets, including Jennifer Woods, who has taught animal emergency safety courses for decades. The animals are looked over prior to bucking, then again after when they are in a water pen being monitored. Good bulls are worth over a million dollars, it is insane to think that we would jeopardize their health.
It is a fact that we have to deal with misinformed activists, we see it every year in different places. I used to flip out and lay cussings, but that got me nowhere, and gave them more fuel.
I extend an invite to anyone who has concerns that our animals, who are raised and bred to buck at bull ridings and rodeos, are being mistreated, to pay us a visit. We don't bite, and the coffee is always hot, and the beer is always cold. Information is powerful.

Good for you, I went down the road for 7 yrs and I can tell you the stock fared better than most of us did. I take my hat off to you stock contractors you do a great job keep it up.

6.5swedeforelk
07-03-2014, 11:29 PM
This race was the Dash for cash in the pony chucks at the Ponoka Stampede . Dale Young was the driver . I was there abd he smoked the others off the 4 barrle and made a heck of a run ! Very impressive and fast !

Thanks for that, Giles. thought I recognized the name.

I know the family... third generation cowboy.

They treat the horses like their family, Dale could easily refute all that the OP drive-by troll stated.

Selkirk
07-04-2014, 12:01 AM
OP come on. Opened a can of worms and split. Thanks for trolling by....

Yup ... I noticed that ^ too.

He's been with the AO since '08 but only has 12 posts. That in itself may be suspicious, but none of his other posts seem to indicate 'Troll'. I'm guessing he just had a bad day, and after getting everyone's knickers in a knot, he didn't want to follow it up.

Time to move on, and let this thread drift into the never-ending void of the back pages.

Mac

bessiedog
07-04-2014, 12:09 AM
I don't think a lot of people understand the bond that ranchers and farmers have with their animals. Same for riders.

It's sad really. Cause it's a very complex, deep thing.

My kids have all help tend horses and care for them. They've all participated in brandings as well....,

The understanding behind the scenes creates a deeper appreciation about what's going on.

It's a real good idea to tour the barns at stampede if you can.

GasGas
07-04-2014, 05:32 AM
A confession of sorts.

Our young daughter has been wanting to sign up/become active on several social media services. Online 'bullying' has been a hot topic of late in our schools and while many people shrug it off, it really is an actual problem.
I wanted to show her that faceless/nameless people often behave differently online than in person, and when people don't have the risk of being asked to explain or provide a basis for their remarks, the remarks generally are more poisoned or hurtful. As well, it becomes very easy to assume something, or interpret something incorrectly since you don't have body language to read or the time to ask some more questions so you both understand each other.

My post was our way of doing a small experiment in online communication and its severe limitations. She has learned quite a lot with this in just two days.

I stated a fact (saw poster, beautiful horse)
Posted a thoughtful opinion (50 horses dead in 26 years..is that acceptable losses for 'family' entertainment? Corporate responsibility in all this?)
And asked a question (what do you think about the chucks?)

It easily could have been:
Justin Bieber sings.
He has a wonderful voice.
I wonder if he should be allowed to vote as a Canadian since he lives in the States.

Regardless, what we got for replies shows a small portion of people react normally and honestly (like most people do when chatting in person),

a sizable portion react strongly to something they 'think' you said (did I question how stock owners physically treat their horses or cattle? Nope. It's assummed I blame the owners/handlers which generates most of the noise in the replies)

a portion reply directly from the lunatic fringe

We had a good talk about how easy it is to jump to conclusions, and how you can't make something you've written just disappear. In fact, I think the thing that impressed her the most was how many views this thread got. That's a lot of eyes. I think that scared her, to tell you the truth. It's a new world we live in. Sound bytes and comments can sink you or serve you, and now they last forever.

Anyhow, she was very impressed with Nates reply. She had no idea people raised bulls for this 'industry'. Said he sounded like a grandfather (I think that is a compliment)

I must admit I think the most amazing reply came from MacLeod. That guy did the equivalent of reading body language over the internet. He went thru some old posts and tried to get a feel for who I was and where I was coming from. That is an investigative, inquiring mind who obviously thinks before he reacts. Outstanding!

Sorry if this came across as trollish. I had a motive and everyone unwittingly participated. You all helped teach a youngster a valuable lesson in communication. Sorry to stir the pot.

leo
07-04-2014, 07:09 AM
A confession of sorts.

Our young daughter has been wanting to sign up/become active on several social media services. Online 'bullying' has been a hot topic of late in our schools and while many people shrug it off, it really is an actual problem.
I wanted to show her that faceless/nameless people often behave differently online than in person, and when people don't have the risk of being asked to explain or provide a basis for their remarks, the remarks generally are more poisoned or hurtful. As well, it becomes very easy to assume something, or interpret something incorrectly since you don't have body language to read or the time to ask some more questions so you both understand each other.

My post was our way of doing a small experiment in online communication and its severe limitations. She has learned quite a lot with this in just two days.

Posted a thoughtful opinion (50 horses dead in 26 years..is that acceptable losses for 'family' entertainment? Corporate responsibility in all this?)

Justin Bieber sings.
I wonder if he should be allowed to vote as a Canadian since he lives in the States.

Regardless, what we got for replies shows a small portion of people react normally and honestly (like most people do when chatting in person),

a sizable portion react strongly to something they 'think' you said (did I question how stock owners physically treat their horses or cattle? Nope. It's assummed I blame the owners/handlers which generates most of the noise in the replies)

We had a good talk about how easy it is to jump to conclusions, and how you can't make something you've written just disappear. In fact, I think the thing that impressed her the most was how many views this thread got. That's a lot of eyes. I think that scared her, to tell you the truth. It's a new world we live in. Sound bytes and comments can sink you or serve you, and now they last forever.

Anyhow, she was very impressed with Nates reply. She had no idea people raised bulls for this 'industry'. Said he sounded like a grandfather (I think that is a compliment)

I must admit I think the most amazing reply came from MacLeod. That guy did the equivalent of reading body language over the internet. He went thru some old posts and tried to get a feel for who I was and where I was coming from. That is an investigative, inquiring mind who obviously thinks before he reacts. Outstanding!

Sorry if this came across as trollish. I had a motive and everyone unwittingly participated. You all helped teach a youngster a valuable lesson in communication. Sorry to stir the pot.

While I made no comments in this thread, I did have a few negative thoughts about your opening comments, I just chose to keep them to myself. I guess you could also say that your daughter wasn't the only one who learnt a lesson.

Dewey Cox
07-04-2014, 07:35 AM
I feel used.

Matt L.
07-04-2014, 07:39 AM
I feel used.

And a touch insulted. Don't like being used to prove a point without prior knowledge.

catnthehat
07-04-2014, 07:46 AM
A confession of sorts.

Justin Bieber sings.

took your post as nothing BUT a pure troll post by someone wanting to stir up crap.
You would have been far better off simply asking the question and asking for an intelligent conversation on internet bullying instead of posting this explanation, which in no way makes your initial first post right.
It does however make you come off as a deceitful person who is not above manipulating people to further your own purposes.
To that end, my views of rodeo, ( and you yourself) have not changed.
Cat

243 wild cat
07-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Good for you, I went down the road for 7 yrs and I can tell you the stock fared better than most of us did. I take my hat off to you stock contractors you do a great job keep it up.

Likewise i had gone down the Rodeo trail to for 23 years and the stock that i had seen and been around with year after year where in the best shape ever and handled with loved by those that owned them. The money and time them stock contractors put into them animals is unreal. I was one that kept them Bulls and horses on there feet with some custom hoof trimming with a self designd tipping table to hold them down so i could help them out with a foot or leg injury or just to keep them sound so they could perform like the athletes they are. I've seen first hand how these people care for their animals and my hats off to you!.

Dewey Cox
07-04-2014, 03:10 PM
A confession of sorts.......... Sorry to stir the pot.

For this to actually be a worth while experiment, you need a real life discussion to compare this online one to.
Go down to the stampede in person and tell everyone coming through the gates that they are barbarians for supporting such a thing.
If you won't do this, you're no better than everyone else you are calling out for being a "tough guy" from behind their computer key board.

243 wild cat
07-04-2014, 03:28 PM
A confession of sorts.

Justin Bieber sings.

I must say sorry for my quote on a reply to your post. As i said to quit your job because your boss or company sponsors a wagon it was said in :sign0176: I have been in the rodeo sport most of my life and have seen and heard some distubing quotes from ACTIVIST in person and its not right for my kids to hear those words that i can't say on this post when there directed toward their dad as being a bad guy and hurting the animals and participating in a sport that i love and wish to involve my children. You say sorry if this came across as trollish. And you had a motive and everyone unwittingly participated. With that and what you had said in your last post made me think i was wrong and thank you for your understanding of how passionate and protective this topic can be. Im glad some of the comments helped teach your youngster a valuable lesson in communication. As i did as well thanks:)

walking buffalo
07-04-2014, 03:32 PM
A confession of sorts.

Justin Bieber sings.

Did your daughter learn that Your actions are the best example in this thread exemplifying the highlighted statement above?

I hope you are letting her continue to read this. Your actions were not only disingenuous, they were a true form of bullying.

Yah, you are really teaching her well.

BTW, Are you still feeling sick because your employer sponsors a chuckwagon. Did you do follow the high road and quit your job after explaining your thoughts to the boss?

I suspect that you're still lying, the bullying lesson is a cop out. No, I don't accept your apology.

At least your daughter can learn even more about the internet and her father as the responses continue....

rugatika
07-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Here's hoping you're not your daughter's sole role model.

Taco
07-04-2014, 04:45 PM
3 pages.... nice troll

Beeman
07-04-2014, 05:10 PM
I have a feeling your daughter is continuing to learn because of this thread. A lot of people with 1000 plus post count seem hurt by the deciption. These are people who should know how the internet works. Hopefully your (assuming relatively naive) daughter takes this to heart before she goes putting up stupid things all over the interweb.

catnthehat
07-04-2014, 05:22 PM
I have a feeling your daughter is continuing to learn because of this thread. A lot of people with 1000 plus post count seem hurt by the deciption. These are people who should know how the internet works.
I don't think that many of members with higher post counts had their feelings hurt.
We do know fully "how the internet works" and I can also state that there are people on the internet who are honest and upright and never try to deceive others.
then there are people like the OP who are in fact the opposite.
I could care less if he was doing some sort of experiment, or just a complete troll, or something else.
he is what he is,a deceitful person, dishonest , and not worthy of any further comment from me .
Cat

CNP
07-04-2014, 06:57 PM

I knew this was a troll. I wasn't giving in to thinking that someone would actually look for support on this subject...................IN ALBERTA.

While your experiment may have appeared to bring your objectives to the surface.......your audience was played and now your daughter has learned how to play on the interweb. I don't believe that this has any value for a youngster, or anyone, for that matter.

Winch101
07-04-2014, 07:13 PM
That's the last time I respond to a thread that is totally inane and just plain stupid .( tonite ) I knew he was just horsing around , when he came back with
That suck hole phony apology .....And really no one is buying that BS about the daughter . They should limit internet use in a lot of institutions .
Not a total lost cause , we now know for sure a Cowboy can forget his girl
But never his Horse ...I was touched .

Taken again ..... Bazinga

wildwoods
07-04-2014, 09:53 PM
For this to actually be a worth while experiment, you need a real life discussion to compare this online one to.
Go down to the stampede in person and tell everyone coming through the gates that they are barbarians for supporting such a thing.
If you won't do this, you're no better than everyone else you are calling out for being a "tough guy" from behind their computer key board.

Nailed it man. Would have been worse to express that in person than on here. It was an obvious troll from the get go.

missingtwo
07-04-2014, 10:48 PM
One thing you "forgot" is your statement "It actually sickens me that the company I work for sponsors a team."
This indicated your thoughts on the topic. And your thoughts about your employer. When you display this online, you are the one that is making the disparaging remarks to start with.
Maybe if your post stated, " I don't like the wagon races , so I don't watch them." You may have received different responses.
Maybe teach your daughter how to begin a discussion in a neutral way!!?? If you don't want an opposing view.

Oh, by the way, I don't buy your B,S, apology.

Selkirk
07-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Here's hoping you're not your daughter's sole role model.

My thoughts ^, exactly!

But then, even a ten year old kid could see that daddy (GasGas) screwed up, Big Time!

"Teach your children ..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vnYKRacKQc

Mac

Fisherpeak
07-05-2014, 05:48 AM
I hope his daughter ain`t reading all this.

backpacker
07-05-2014, 08:41 AM
I never bothered responding to the OP in this thread as it was just futile to argue or try to convince anyone to change their mind on this topic. What I do get a chuckle from is all the Trout that felt the need to get involved are now the ones that are all a*$ hurt,lol. Too funny guy's,lol.

wildwoods
07-05-2014, 09:02 AM
I never bothered responding to the OP in this thread as it was just futile to argue or try to convince anyone to change their mind on this topic. What I do get a chuckle from is all the Trout that felt the need to get involved are now the ones that are all a*$ hurt,lol. Too funny guy's,lol.

I don't feel that convincing him is the point. Our ethics of most of our outdoor activities were in question. I'm glad everyone jumped all over it. It's easy to hide in the shadows and let people tromp on ya. Enjoy the chuckle

backpacker
07-05-2014, 12:22 PM
I don't feel that convincing him is the point. Our ethics of most of our outdoor activities were in question. I'm glad everyone jumped all over it. It's easy to hide in the shadows and let people tromp on ya. Enjoy the chuckle

Lame reply wildwood! How does the stampede and chuck wagon racing even relate to our outdoor pursuits? Just so your 100 percent clear , I don, t need to hide or remain silent to anyone on this or any forum. If I believe the topic is worth discussing, I will chime in when I choose.

wildwoods
07-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat
This is about the same as saying sled dog racing is cruel and unusual punishment.
Shooting gophers?
Cat
This is where I'm coming from backpacker^^ I agree with Cat. That's why I felt it semi important to call the OP on it. Anyways. Have a great weekend

Winch101
07-05-2014, 02:17 PM
The PETA types have Cowboys right in their sights .....I project
This is just the tip of the Cowberg .....

Stampede chuckwagon lockdown protests 'cruel bloodsport'
Protestors chained themselves to the gate surrounding chuckwagon track for half an hour
CBC News Posted: Jul 05, 2014 12:29 PM MT Last Updated: Jul 05, 2014 12:55 PM MT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/stampede-chuckwagon-lockdown-protests-cruel-bloodsport-1.2697575

Matt L.
07-05-2014, 03:55 PM
The PETA types have Cowboys right in their sights .....I project
This is just the tip of the Cowberg .....

Stampede chuckwagon lockdown protests 'cruel bloodsport'
Protestors chained themselves to the gate surrounding chuckwagon track for half an hour
CBC News Posted: Jul 05, 2014 12:29 PM MT Last Updated: Jul 05, 2014 12:55 PM MT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/stampede-chuckwagon-lockdown-protests-cruel-bloodsport-1.2697575

There's draft horses there. Would've been easy enough to pull them off. Or let a couple bulls out so they could get an up close experience with the stock they're trying to "save".

CaberTosser
07-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Hmm, the OP didn't touch on the replies that encouraged him to back up his beliefs with a defiant political action against his own employer (if that part was even true).

Might as well have chained himself to the rails down at the track. At least those folk follow through on their convictions, as misguided as they may be.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/protesters-charged-with-public-mischief-after-disrupting-calgary-stampede-s-rangeland-derby-1.1900431

That one on the plaid shirt could have volunteered herself as a replacement
in the calf-roping event if she was so determined to get her 15 minutes of fame.