PDA

View Full Version : Bait cast

Mike_W
07-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Just wondering what the benefits are of a levelwind/baitcast for fishing?
I always use a spinning reel/rod but am I missing something?

EZM
07-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Generally speaking ......

- Smoother Drag larger clutch / braking surfaces
- More adjustments on the reels to match variable applications
- Better Accuracy - control the spool with thumb
- Longer Casting - complete free spooling adjustment
- Comfortable in the hand for all day use
- No ( or very little comparatively speaking) line twist when drag is actuated

But ....... more money

Geezle
07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
But ....... more money

And a bit of a learning curve. :o

Bushleague
07-03-2014, 11:09 AM
None IMO, I used them exclusively for many years and still have one or two kicking around. Theyre a neat toy but I must have progressed past the "Neat Toy" stage at some point because I've more or less quit using them.

The advantages they have over spinning gear are pretty small, while their disadvantages are larger.

SCHOOCH
07-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Exactly what Geezle and EZM said......that said once you get the hang of it you will love them.

canadiantdi
07-03-2014, 11:26 AM
One nasty birds nest that takes a while to sort out will quickly make any advantages seem to disappear. Frustrating to watch your buddies hauling in big pike while you are tending to your reel.

RavYak
07-03-2014, 11:45 AM
A few other things to know.

Don't try and use a baitcast reel for light lures. 1/4 oz is the lightest you will want to throw and even that can be pushing it. For anything lighter use a spinning set up as they are much better for light lures.

Don't buy a cheap model, you will notice the difference in casting ability between a $50 model and a $100+ model. I have a cheap one and hate using it.

The conventional or level wind reels are even more difficult to cast then the low profile reel. They are also overkill for anything other then sturgeon or perhaps lake trout. The clicker can be nice for say large pike if using bait though. For the majority of fishing a low profile baitcaster is superior in most ways.

What I usually tell people is that if you are happy with spinning gear there isn't that much point in changing. The cost to get decent baitcast gear and the frustrating learning curve are not really worth the slightly improved accuracy and distance.

Bushleague
07-03-2014, 12:01 PM
A few other things to know.

Don't try and use a baitcast reel for light lures. 1/4 oz is the lightest you will want to throw and even that can be pushing it. For anything lighter use a spinning set up as they are much better for light lures.

Don't buy a cheap model, you will notice the difference in casting ability between a $50 model and a $100+ model. I have a cheap one and hate using it.

The conventional or level wind reels are even more difficult to cast then the low profile reel. They are also overkill for anything other then sturgeon or perhaps lake trout. The clicker can be nice for say large pike if using bait though. For the majority of fishing a low profile baitcaster is superior in most ways.

What I usually tell people is that if you are happy with spinning gear there isn't that much point in changing. The cost to get decent baitcast gear and the frustrating learning curve are not really worth the slightly improved accuracy and distance.

I agree with most of what you've said, but I've always preffered the conventional level winds over low profile baitcasters. I've never found them harder to work with, they can be purchased in smaller sizes suitable for smaller fish. The advantages in regards to drag, cranking power, and durability, while still not large enough to be worth switching from spinning gear for, seem to be generally greater on a conventional baitcaster than a low profile. IMO if your going to bother getting a baitcast at all it may as well be a conventional.

RavYak
07-03-2014, 12:17 PM
I agree with most of what you've said, but I've always preffered the conventional level winds over low profile baitcasters. I've never found them harder to work with, they can be purchased in smaller sizes suitable for smaller fish. The advantages in regards to drag, cranking power, and durability, while still not large enough to be worth switching from spinning gear for, seem to be generally greater on a conventional baitcaster than a low profile. IMO if your going to bother getting a baitcast at all it may as well be a conventional.

I haven't used a high end conventional reel so maybe that is the issue but I have never been able to achieve the same casting distance with mine and also have more issues with birds nests.

The main thing I prefer about a low profile reel is that they are light and you can cast them with one hand. I wouldn't use any conventional or spinning reel over a low profile baitcaster when fishing for walleye or pike but that is just based on my preferences and experiences.

Bushleague
07-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I haven't used a high end conventional reel so maybe that is the issue but I have never been able to achieve the same casting distance with mine and also have more issues with birds nests.

The main thing I prefer about a low profile reel is that they are light and you can cast them with one hand. I wouldn't use any conventional or spinning reel over a low profile baitcaster when fishing for walleye or pike but that is just based on my preferences and experiences.

Oddly enough kayak fishing was the beginning of the end of baitcasters for me, fighting wind or current any little inconvenience tends to detract from my fishing. I've now simplified to just concentrating on keeping something a fish wants to eat in water where a fish is likely to be as much of the time as possible and am happy with the results. Anything that makes this simple task more complicated has been shelved.

RavYak
07-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Oddly enough kayak fishing was the beginning of the end of baitcasters for me, fighting wind or current any little inconvenience tends to detract from my fishing. I've now simplified to just concentrating on keeping something a fish wants to eat in water where a fish is likely to be as much of the time as possible and am happy with the results. Anything that makes this simple task more complicated has been shelved.

My good baitcaster which isn't even anything special(Pflueger Echelon) gives me no headaches at all for what I use it for. I rarely use it for lures under 3/8 oz and the only time I ever need to worry about a backlash is if I lazily(and stupidly) try to chuck a lighter lure straight into the wind without thumbing the spool. When it does backlash it is never that bad and I can get it out in a second or two, never had to cut my line.

My cheaper baitcaster which is a quantum aztec on the other hand sucks and I can't get near the distance because if I try to cast hard there is a good chance it will birds nest.

Just an example of why a guy needs to spend good money on a baitcaster to get one with a good braking system.

My thing with spinning reels is I just hate how they cast. Takes two hands and is awkward and no distance control. I finally got used to them enough that I now own a couple as they are needed for lighter lures and because they are far cheaper for saltwater applications but I will never choose a spinning reel over a baitcaster for my primary Alberta fishing reel. But like I said before if a guy is used to spinning gear and doesn't mind it then I don't see a real reason to switch over.

BeeGuy
07-03-2014, 02:53 PM
I have a bunch of C3 and C4, 5500's and 6500's Abu Ambassadeurs.

Love'm.

Go to for bait chucking and ice fishin.

Great for trolling.

Great for spoon chuckin.

huntsfurfish
07-03-2014, 03:46 PM
I have a few inexpensive low profiles, Daiwa, shimano and Abu Garcia that I use on the river for walleye. They cast fine no more backlash than any other real. In fact the abu will cast out and spool itself if I use heavy line.

Most of my conventional are C3 C4 (4500/4600 - 5500/5600 - 6500/6600)(and most I have you can cast with one hand:)) all mid price range. And most low profile baitcasters are upper end. abu garcia
Prefer shimano spinning reels though.

If you scale down line weight and a suitable rod they will even cast light lures quite well.

The key with baitcasters is to tune for each weight you are currently using, change weight and retune.

I like both conventional style as well as low profile. Learned to fish with baitcasters.

justinO
07-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Hey Mike if you fish for walleye the big advantage is allowing the reel to free spool using your thumb for total control if you get a soft bite ease off on your thumb pressure, the fish will feel no pressure as it continues to bite. Then thumb down and rip some lips ;) you can do something similar with spinning with an open bail and free lining but not nearly as effective. Also casting, drag, comfort already mentioned above.

Flight01
07-03-2014, 05:21 PM
And a bit of a learning curve. :o

This ^

I use them and its my go to now

CanadianBadass
07-03-2014, 05:42 PM
I also had used spinning rods for every thing, last year I broke down and switched to a BC set up for sturgeon, and pike in the winter, And I must say , After all of this..... I am switching all my gear to BC set ups except for my small trout gear, still prefer a spin reel !

Hope that helps bud,

fish gunner
07-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Google, long distance casting... the difference is remarkable. I love both . The frustration of learning casting and fine tuning a level wind will pass with time .the new casting drag gizmos really do help once you get the knack. I do feel level winds are a little less sensitive in the drag department ,perhaps clinical is the right word.

Lund rebel
07-04-2014, 06:11 AM
I bout a quantum smoke bait caster last year and picked up casting it quickly. They are my go to reel for sure now, picked up another Abu Garcia on the recommendation of EZM and cba the other day and really like it, it's much larger and heavier tho but wow can it cast.

I find there is a real advantage when trolling and the bite is loght I can feel a strike and if they don't hit I can smoothly thumb the reel and control line going out vs a spin caster bunching off the reel.

Are you right or left handed retrieve?

prodogg02
07-04-2014, 06:12 PM
I switchd from mono to suffix braid on my bait casters an I have no more backlashs with the suffix . might just be me but they seem to cast way better with braided line.

Bushmonkey
07-04-2014, 06:51 PM
I only use bait casters for pike.

Benifits are huge. Along with what has already been mentioned is they are MUCH better for reeling in fish or even reeling in bigger lures.

Picture a whinch designed like a spinning reel. Where the line is wrapped around the spool. Now picture a whinch designed like a baitcaster (Which they all are) where the spool turns to bring the line in.

I can cast pike lures all day long and not get tired of reeling them in. Give me a spinning reel and the same lure and it gets to be a pain real fast.

Reeling in fish is no question 10X easier with a baitcaster.

Only down fall is learning how to use it. That and its harder to use lighter lures, although once you master the baitcaster you can cast jigs, small spinners etc..

EZM
07-04-2014, 09:05 PM
I would suggest the advantages are significant ...... in most applications.

A higher quality baitcaster is a good investment versus buying a cheap one. My first "cheaper" baitcaster was frustrating.

I have since upgraded and set up another 6-7 rods with baitcasters, all of high quality.

A few weeks ago, when I took the kids out, I used the first (cheap) baitcaster I had purchased years ago ......... at this point, since I no longer have issues using baitcasters, I was surprised to see the cheaper baitcaster was STILL a piece of garbage! The drag was jerky, the spool would overrun, the adjustments were poor and I had a few "newbie" incidents.

This is one piece of equipment I'd suggest spending some good money on.

Too many guys do what I did ..... buy a cheap baitcaster to try it out, get frustrated, and get turned off. I think I paid $80 or so originally.

Spend more and it will be way better in the long run.

Bushleague
07-05-2014, 12:36 AM
I only use bait casters for pike.

Benifits are huge. Along with what has already been mentioned is they are MUCH better for reeling in fish or even reeling in bigger lures.

Picture a whinch designed like a spinning reel. Where the line is wrapped around the spool. Now picture a whinch designed like a baitcaster (Which they all are) where the spool turns to bring the line in.

I can cast pike lures all day long and not get tired of reeling them in. Give me a spinning reel and the same lure and it gets to be a pain real fast.

Reeling in fish is no question 10X easier with a baitcaster.

Only down fall is learning how to use it. That and its harder to use lighter lures, although once you master the baitcaster you can cast jigs, small spinners etc..

I would just like to point out that the world is full of people fishing far bigger baits, and reeling in far bigger fish on a regular basis with spinning reels than most Albertan anglers will ever catch in their entire life. Yes at a certain point levelwind reels will start to have an advantage, but IMO that point barely even exists in this province.

BeeGuy
07-05-2014, 12:44 AM
I would just like to point out that the world is full of people fishing far bigger baits, and reeling in far bigger fish on a regular basis with spinning reels than most Albertan anglers will ever catch in their entire life. Yes at a certain point levelwind reels will start to have an advantage, but IMO that point barely even exists in this province.

Agree!

Look at the guys tossing huge baits for GT's all day.

They use spinning reels...

We dont really have big or especially hard fishing fish in this province, save for maybe lake sturgeon.

It is a matter of preference.

Geezle
07-05-2014, 08:32 AM
It is a matter of preference.

This is what it really comes down to. :)

dodger
07-05-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm not big on the bait casters for casting due to the bird nests but that's me. If I have 3 birds nests in a year that's to much time wasted cleaning them up! BUT, they are fantastic if your jigging in a boat. The ease of staying in touch with the bottom of the lake is unbelievable!! The drag on the bc reels is smooth as silk.

My $1.25
Dodger.

P.S.
I posted a video link on here awhile back showing how to clean up birds nests on a bc and it does work. Just do a quick search on YouTube for it.

Reeltime
07-06-2014, 12:51 AM
I had inherited one of my uncle's Pflueger "bait casters". I too have seen many bird nests. I am really out of my comfort zone with this reel. As he has sinced passed on I need to search for additional help.

Are there any tutorials, video's or reading material to understand and operate this reel with success?

I thank you in advance for any advice. :)

TROLLER
07-06-2014, 11:37 AM
I don't agree with the statement that they cast further than a spinning reel.

I use the Shimano Calais and no way will it cast further than my spinning reels.

While I love the reel and rod set up I have, for long casting situations I will always go with the spinning outfits. Just my opinion.

fish gunner
07-06-2014, 04:12 PM

I use the Shimano Calais and no way will it cast further than my spinning reels.

While I love the reel and rod set up I have, for long casting situations I will always go with the spinning outfits. Just my opinion.

Sorry to disappoint but look up record distance casting, level wind get the win.

TROLLER
07-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Betting it was one of those ocean reels :test:

Saw a guy fishing from shore in Maui years ago and he would cast that thing so far with a big squid on that I wondered if it was going to run out of line before it hit the water.

If that is what set a record and I did not know such things existed then OK they will cast further.

BassDude
07-07-2014, 11:46 AM
I think the added cost of a quality bait caster is well worth it. Most of the bait casters I run were purchased in the early 90's - I've had had 20+ years out of them fishing bass, pike and walleye...
Sure you have to learn thru some birds nests but once you've got it down you'll never look back. I run Abu Ambassadeurs and shimano calcutta's all from the 90's and all running like the day they were purchased with a little maintenance now and then.

Worth every penny.

fish gunner
07-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Betting it was one of those ocean reels :test:

Saw a guy fishing from shore in Maui years ago and he would cast that thing so far with a big squid on that I wondered if it was going to run out of line before it hit the water.

If that is what set a record and I did not know such things existed then OK they will cast further.

Not sure of the actual reel, 278yrds for level wind 256 spinning with 150 grm Lead. New vid shows 308 yrds (unconfirmed at this time ) farther than most of us can drive a golf ball.:)

Michael_Brown
07-07-2014, 09:02 PM
They are a matter of preference.
If you fish a lot of pike or sturgeon, I would suggest that you would benefit by learning how to use them. For heavier line and baits they allow increased presentation accuracy and spool capacity.
If you think they would be an advantage to your fishing style, buy a decent quality reel and start practicing. Match the reel with a medium heavy action rod for best results. Plan on a few backlashes but they will decrease quickly with practice, besides you will learn to clear them quickly.

I own about 20 rod/reel combos and they are half spinning and half baitcast. They are tools and depending on what or how I am fishing I will choose the best suited outfit. The more versitile you are the better angler you will become.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=1546&pictureid=7445

Jack&7
07-07-2014, 09:06 PM
I have had my share of bird nests...but once you get used to casting them with a little practice, baitcasters are good.

but...by far my favorite application is for ice fishing.

Having that smooth drag set just right so that the pike gently swims away without feeling a thing makes for a baitcaster my go-to choice on the ice.

Better than a tip up by far...a baitcaster on a med-heavy 30 inch ice rod sitting on a rod stand with a bell is a deadly combo. I anchor the rod...but if that drag is set right, that rod will dance on the stand but never go anywhere. No matter how hard the bait gets hit.

You let the pike run until it stops and then you tighten the drag and set the hook.
Boom!

EZM
07-07-2014, 09:07 PM

A bait caster will, without a doubt, cast a lot further and more accurately .... hands down ........ However ..... many people don't have enough experience with them or just don't know how to set them up (brakes, clutch, free spool adjustments ...) so you are partially right.

It took me a season or two to get it dialed in ......... but after that ..... it outperforms any high end spinning reel I own ..... hands down.

My favorite thing about them is the ability to have complete distance control by thumbing the spool and the bullet proof smooth drag. I also appreciate it after holding a rod casting all day ..... as they are more comfortable for me.

At the end of the day ..... your best tool is the one you are comfortable and confident using ...... personal preference really.

I agree with the gold medal professional fisherman guy ......:)...