PDA

View Full Version : cold lake without down riggers?

Bushmonkey
07-03-2014, 10:38 AM
I would like to give cold lake a try, but I don't have down riggers.

My boat is fine in big water, but I'm not willling to buy down riggers for just one trip. I have decent electronics to find them in the deep.

Should I just stick to jigging? Spoons? Jigs? cold lake specials?

Bait?

SHould I try those dipsy divers etc?

Kurt505
07-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I've back trolled with spoons and 3-4oz of weight added for lakers on Langley lake in Saskatchewan and had good success, never fished Cold lake that way.

58thecat
07-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Troll a pink lady that will get you to forty feet, if required to go deeper at a weight 12" in front of it. Three feet behind the pink lady run a spoon or whatever your heart desires. I run this all season and have no issues catching lakers on Cold Lake, cheap but effective.:)

binnzer32
07-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Inline weights, dipsys, jig troll large heavy tube jigs etc

Team Anzac
07-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Pink ladies (dipsy divers), thats how we used to fish Namur Lake in the 70-80's.

whitetailman
07-03-2014, 12:14 PM
We were out there yesterday. Caught one with a big 5 of diamonds just behind the boat and one with the pink lady. The pink lady's work fine. If you are running them you will do fine!

Teamprotz
07-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Anchor and jig , easy fishing , fun too

Bushmonkey
07-03-2014, 07:44 PM
thanks for the info everyone.

And for a guy whose never been to cold lake summer or winter, should I just head to where the rest of the boats are?

58thecat
07-03-2014, 07:47 PM
thanks for the info everyone.

And for a guy whose never been to cold lake summer or winter, should I just head to where the rest of the boats are?

Oh boy I replied to a question like that before and got poop on a pm but guess what I love to give out information as to what works for me and where so pm me and I will help you out probably tomorrow though as I have to hit the fart sack due to an early start.:)

edsonfisherman
07-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Try bottom bouncers, about 1oz to keep you close to the bottom.

Mackinaw
07-05-2014, 12:33 AM
You can jig you can run pink ladies or tipsy divers which will also allow you to get it away from the boat,you can use lead core and a planer board or just drop shot lots of ways or combine a couple to go deeper good luck

Mack

Geezle
07-05-2014, 08:37 AM
How about the 'poor man's downrigger'?

https://www.thefishinhole.com/imagesProducts/big/1102650.jpg

58thecat
07-05-2014, 08:39 AM

Nose ring?

Geezle
07-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Slip sinker.

Last year on a fly in trip to Northern Sask we were trolling down to 90-110' with 4 or 5 ounces using them :)

Mike_W
07-05-2014, 10:02 AM
You can pick up some used manual ones for under $50 on kijiji.

Kurt505
07-05-2014, 10:31 AM
You can pick up some used manual ones for under $50 on kijiji.

Why I can't ever find those deals? I've been checking every now and then but haven't found any yet. For the amount I would use down riggers here in Alberta I just have a hard time justifying $1200 on a set.

EZM
07-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Down riggers not being an option ..........A Dipsy Diver has many significant advantages over other weighted or depth planning devices....... by using the chart, you can control the depth of your lure based on the line you let out from your reel.

http://www.fishfulthinking.ca/tips_diver_chart.php

It can also be adjusted to pull out away from the boat (port or starboard) planning adjustments to allow you to run more lines and/or cover a wider path through the water.

You will need a stiff rod and a line counter reel, as the dipsy divers pull hard, but it works very well and puts you exactly on target without guesswork ....... if you are marking fish holding and suspended from 60 to 75 feet of water ...... the other methods leaving you guessing where exactly your lure is.

You are likely to boat more fish if your lure is where the fish are ........ thousands of great lakes anglers would likely agree.....

muzzy
07-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Im out at cold lake camping this upcoming week. *Unfortunately cant drag my boat as hauling the camper. If anyone from cold lake or anyone heading that way needs a fishing partner for day I would be most grateful and would cover gas. I have a ton of fishing experience so wouldn't be in way
PM me or email teath@hotmail.com

Gord

borchy
07-05-2014, 08:19 PM

I have found these to work better than down riggers

MercMike
07-09-2014, 09:04 AM
i was out last weekend we also didnt have down riggers but we just jugged the white cold lake specials in 55-60 feet of water and smashed trout all day it was super easy and crazy fun !!!

Popik
07-09-2014, 07:43 PM
2-3oz jig heads? haha

EZM
07-09-2014, 08:29 PM
2-3oz jig heads? haha

That's correct giggles ..... they come in many sizes .......

http://www.canalbaitandtackle.com/bullet-head-jig-2-oz/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page when loading up the link .... they get even bigger from there as well !!!!

A typical application is using a tube body for lakers.

And, ............you might laugh at this too, ...........so brace yourself, ..........clear your bladder, .................... a 2 oz jig head is quite a common size for jigging lakers ....

:)

Popik
07-09-2014, 10:48 PM
That's correct giggles ..... they come in many sizes .......

http://www.canalbaitandtackle.com/bullet-head-jig-2-oz/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page when loading up the link .... they get even bigger from there as well !!!!

A typical application is using a tube body for lakers.

And, ............you might laugh at this too, ...........so brace yourself, ..........clear your bladder, .................... a 2 oz jig head is quite a common size for jigging lakers ....

:)

Umm...something up your ass? Sarcasm is a little thick and i would be curious to know what provoked it ?

Mackinaw
07-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Umm...something up your ass? Sarcasm is a little thick and i would be curious to know what provoked it ?

Why would you laugh at the idea of 2-3 oz jig heads?

Mack

Popik
07-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Why would you laugh at the idea of 2-3 oz jig heads?

Mack

Not laughing at them...my box is full of them. Just never heard them referred to as CL specials and thought it was funny. Some sensitive folks round here tonight.

Mackinaw
07-10-2014, 12:55 AM
Not laughing at them...my box is full of them. Just never heard them referred to as CL specials and thought it was funny. Some sensitive folks round here tonight.

Cold lake special is more than just a 2oz tube jig they also have a built-in stinger and are I'm special color s

Mack

ricky8fish
07-10-2014, 06:35 AM
Hi I have a scotty manual down riger you could own for $150.00 I have not used it since a sold my salmon boat. It is not electric. Rick

ricky8fish
07-10-2014, 06:36 AM
Hi I have a scotty manual down rigger you could own for $150.00 I have not used it since a sold my salmon boat. It is not electric. Rick

ThreeD
07-12-2014, 12:56 AM
Cold lake still fishing good without down riggers. 3 good size bell weights on a 3-way swivel in front of a willow leaf and anchovy rig. Pick up 9 tonight in less than 2 hours. this one was 33". Live released for another day.

EZM
07-13-2014, 11:32 AM

I agree ........ there are sensitive folks around here ........

Why don't you re-read your post and ask yourself ...... does the term "ha-ha".......... sound like you are laughing or not ???? Did you forget that part?

It sounds to me like you were being clever and laughing at something you did not even know existed and decided to be the sarcastic ha-ha guy and were proven wrong. That's my opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong ..... you were laughing at 2-3 oz jig heads and there was NO mention of cold lake specials in your post ......was there????? Was that an oversight on your part?

Relax ........... enjoy the forum and stop being so smart and learn something like the rest of us.

Nice try and attempted recovery ......... you screwed up and brought this on yourself ..... no big deal ....

Popik
07-13-2014, 08:02 PM
I agree ........ there are sensitive folks around here ........

Why don't you re-read your post and ask yourself ...... does the term "ha-ha".......... sound like you are laughing or not ???? Did you forget that part?

It sounds to me like you were being clever and laughing at something you did not even know existed and decided to be the sarcastic ha-ha guy and were proven wrong. That's my opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong ..... you were laughing at 2-3 oz jig heads and there was NO mention of cold lake specials in your post ......was there????? Was that an oversight on your part?

Relax ........... enjoy the forum and stop being so smart and learn something like the rest of us.

Nice try and attempted recovery ......... you screwed up and brought this on yourself ..... no big deal ....

Again...super sensitive. I have haha'ed every post I've made in every forum for the past i don't know how many years because i refuse to lol. I also refuse to take an internet forum as serious as you do.

My haha and jig head comment was at MercMikes reference to the "COLD LAKE SPECIAL" they jugged and had great luck. So i'm not trying to cover or back out of anything.

My first time on Cold Lake last fall my brother who is a local took me out and showed me that same technique and it worked great.

This year we have been out with down riggers and using the anchovy rigs 10-15' above anything that blips the finder and have had a great time catching them.

EZM
07-14-2014, 07:59 AM
I have riggers on my boat and, on occasion, use a dipsy diver as a side planning and depth planning device..... and I'm happy with the results ..... However ......I have not used a 3 way swivel set up - so I'm curious is there an advantage to using a 3 way with a weight over using a mooching sinker in-line with a similar set up.

I would always think a 3 way would tangle up ..... and, essentially, an in-line mooching sinker would do the same thing really.

I have run my main line to a mooching sinker, then to a flasher or set of blades, then a 24" piece of fluoro to my lure ...... I do this for kokanees and rainbows that are just below the surface (maybe down 15-25 feet). It seems easier than setting the rigger AND it gets the presentation further away from the boat and prop wash ( which can be an advantage for spooky fish in clear water).

Just curious really.

Why not an in-line mooching sinker versus a 3-way ......???

Mackinaw
07-14-2014, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=EZM;2490062]I have riggers on my boat and, on occasion, use a dipsy diver as a side planning and depth planning device..... and I'm happy with the results ..... However ......I have not used a 3 way swivel set up - so I'm curious is there an advantage to using a 3 way with a weight over using a mooching sinker in-line with a similar set up.

I would always think a 3 way would tangle up ..... and, essentially, an in-line mooching sinker would do the same thing really.

I have run my main line to a mooching sinker, then to a flasher or set of blades, then a 24" piece of fluoro to my lure ...... I do this for kokanees and rainbows that are just below the surface (maybe down 15-25 feet). It seems easier than setting the rigger AND it gets the presentation further away from the boat and prop wash ( which can be an advantage for spooky fish in clear water).

Just curious really.

In this situation I see no real advantage mooching sink would be just as good. The only time three way is better is if you are right on btm and there is chance of snagging then you can run lighter line to sinker and let it break off saving lure. I think more people have the basic gear for three way setup so it is a goto idea. But I'm thinking keeping a few different ß mooching sinkers on hand would be good idea.

Mack

Geezle
07-14-2014, 09:19 AM
So now I have to ask, would a mooching sinker be better or worse than the slip sinker I posted? :confused:

I like the idea of the slip sinker just because when a fish hits the lure the weight releases and slides down, so you're not fighting the fish with a big weight in between...if that makes sense?

mooseknuckle
07-14-2014, 08:14 PM

They certainly worked great jay!! Just open the bail wait till they hit bottom. Close bail and start trolling. Easy to use, hook up and we caught plenty of lakers to prove it!

Legend Boats
07-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Hey BushMonkey,

I would give the poor mans rigger a try. The way I would rig it is with a 3-way split ring. Braid on my main line, Fluorocarbon for my lure with at least a 5ft leader and a heavier leader so the lure will stick out but not so heavy that it limited the action of your lure. A lighter line that I can break off the sinker easily if you get snagged.

Another suggestion is a heavy tube jug with a white 3"-4” tube. You can fish this on shore, trolling or vertical presentation. Lakers always love a tube bite.

Henry

Geezle
07-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Hey BushMonkey,

I would give the poor mans rigger a try. The way I would rig it is with a 3-way split ring. Braid on my main line, Fluorocarbon for my lure with at least a 5ft leader and a heavier leader so the lure will stick out but not so heavy that it limited the action of your lure. A lighter line that I can break off the sinker easily if you get snagged.

Another suggestion is a heavy tube jug with a white 3"-4” tube. You can fish this on shore, trolling or vertical presentation. Lakers always love a tube bite.

Henry

If you're using the poor man's downrigger I posted (slip sinker) there is no need for the 3 way swivel setup.

With the slip sinker you run your line through the two 'hooks' on the top of the weight, then pinch it in the ring about 4-5 feet up from your hook. This leaves enough line after the weight that it doesn't impede the action of your lure, and when the fish hits, it pulls the line out of the ring and the weight slides down to where your hook is, so you're not fighting the fish with the weight swinging around :)