PDA

View Full Version : In front of the store today after I finished work

From The Hip
07-03-2014, 08:14 PM
After my long and crazy day under the hot sun which I got given a few curve balls(not complaining about the heat as I LOVE working under the blue sky mine)I stopped at the convenience store around the corner from my home to buy smokes.I get out of my car and take 2 steps and a minivan pulls up behind me and the driver beckons me over with "you italia?" whilst holding a street map.I walk up to the passenger side and he says again "you italia?" I said no( I am thinking he thought I was italian as I was wearing my Ferrari Formula 1 pit crew shirt) after he figures out I am not Italian he then offers to sell me a gold chain.I have no need or want for a gold chain.He blabs about needing money for gas and says $60 for the gold chain.I said I dont buy jewlerly period as it is a waste of money and the 1000% markup makes me want to puke and I walked away.

Was it a scam...hell yeah but I cant see how anybody could fall for it.Why on earth would you buy gold in a parking lot and take the guys word for it.Truth be told I sure as hell dont know how the guy figured I was Italian as I am a redhead of British background....must have been the Ferrari shirt I guess.

In short...beware of people selling stuff like gold chains randomly.

FTH

Bergerboy
07-03-2014, 08:25 PM
NO WAY MAN YOU NEVER KNOW! I just found out that I am a 7.6 millionaire from an old relative in Namibia! I told my boss to pound sand today. Never gonna look a gift horse in the mouth again!

bloopbloob
07-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Oh, people fall for it! Heard that exact same story from a co-worker about a month ago. Except he used "Are you Armenian?", and it was a gold ring, but needed gas money. Co-worker ended up giving him $40 for the the ring. Of course, it wasn't gold, it was brass when he went to get his great deal appraised.

boonedocks
07-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Pretty sure that guy tried the same thing with me at 50 street home hardware. H e asked for directions then if I was a business man, I knew something was up and told him it save his breath and walked away.

88thunderbird
07-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Did this minivan have middle east women in it and was the seller bearded middle eastern man ?
If so they tried to sell me a gold chain in Calgary (bowness) last week . Said they needed gas money , travel money to the states etc.

deerhunter
07-03-2014, 09:26 PM
They were here about 3 months ago. Told them to get lost. Called the RCMP
And they put the run on them

Redfrog
07-03-2014, 09:47 PM
In was in Red deer a month ago at the Princess's place. You know the one that sells everything made in China.:sHa_shakeshout:

A guy approached me with a story, actually it was a whole bunch of stories, about his check not making it into the bank, his boss gone for two weeks, his toddler in the hospital and they won't give it drugs cause he can't get any money and his car is broke down in the shop and out of gas. Hw was from Sask. and just had to get home.

I asked him what he expected me to do about it.He freaked and started yelling about no one wants to help him. I asked a gain what he expected from me. He stormed out of the store.

That was a month ago. I was in Red deer on Monday. Same guy was at Costco. Still working his scam, but completely on the other end of town.

zero
07-03-2014, 10:03 PM
brother in law fell for the "i have a brand new stereo system in the back of my van, we had left over equipment from an install, yours for 500 bucks, its worth over 5000"

he bought it... it worked (amazingly) but it wasn't good quality. not worth even 100

happy honker
07-04-2014, 12:42 AM
Ran into same thing at 34th ave save on foods.....asked if i spoke itallian, asked for directions to airport, said he was a fasion designer r
And was headed back to italy and wanted to sell me a suit that he didnt want to take back to italy with him. Also asked if i was a buisiness man....i was wearing ripped jeans, a camo hoodie and my special lawn mowing runners....he must have been desperate...lol

afranzky
07-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Next time pull out your phone, take his picture, then his license plate, thank him and let him know that the RCMP will be in touch.