PDA

View Full Version : Skeena River Fishing

bighorn88
07-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Anyone out there go out to the Skeena for salmon?

BeeGuy
07-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Yup. Quite a few.

NW BC is great fishin. World class.

Red Bullets
07-04-2014, 11:20 AM
I have fished the skeena from shore lots when I lived outside of Terrace. Half way between Terrace and Rupert. Spin and glow with roe. My personal best salmon was 62 lbs.

greylynx
07-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Fishgunner knows everything about that area. He will help you.

bighorn88
07-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Thanks, used to fish there for a few years. Was thinking of going back and if anyone needed a extra in their group. Have a lot of experience and gear including boat.

CenterPin
07-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Got a bunch of us going to Terrace for 3 weeks in September/ October. Yearly trip and I cant wait!

boonerkiller
07-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Got a bunch of us going to Terrace for 3 weeks in September/ October. Yearly trip and I cant f@#king wait!

Coho and Steelhead? I was thinking of heading out in mid sept for coho. Where do you camp at?

Heading out next week for chinook, anybody out there now? Wonder how the fishing is doing?

morgan
07-12-2014, 05:16 AM
My good friend lives in Terrace, they are catching sockeyes right now at Ferry Island, you can camp there too.

boonerkiller
07-12-2014, 07:19 AM
Yeah you bet that's what we are doing next week, not sure about sept. Might just sleep in the boat.

CenterPin
07-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Ya coho/ steelhead. The campgrounds in Terrace are perfect, all amenities and real close to everything you need. If you wanna get away from classified water theres sites right on the Skeena a little closer to Rupert

Decker9
07-12-2014, 07:00 PM
About. 20-30 mins passed terrace, there's a place they call "China bar", ask anyone and they can point you there. Also just before china bar, there's a "18 mile bar" that people fish from. Springs are running, good camping at ferry island in terrace. And can fish from there also. Side note, I belive there is a bait ban in affect also. Cheers

boonerkiller
07-13-2014, 07:43 AM
About. 20-30 mins passed terrace, there's a place they call "China bar", ask anyone and they can point you there. Also just before china bar, there's a "18 mile bar" that people fish from. Springs are running, good camping at ferry island in terrace. And can fish from there also. Side note, I belive there is a bait ban in affect also. Cheers

Really on the skeena? That would suck, I know Kitimat has one but haven't heard of skeena having one. I have fished China bar but not 18 mile, how much before china bar is it?

Decker9
07-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Really on the skeena? That would suck, I know Kitimat has one but haven't heard of skeena having one. I have fished China bar but not 18 mile, how much before china bar is it?

It's been years since iv fished up there, I think 18 mile is just 18 miles out of terrace. The bait thing may have changed since iv fished it, but I remember not long ago friends talking about not being aloud to use bait. All the fishing shops around terrace are very helpful also, well worth the stop in's.

fish gunner
07-13-2014, 11:49 PM
The skeena is a huge daunting river for a first timer. The tributaries offer a some what less daunting task , every thing on a smaller scale helps . In truth it also condences fish making life simpler over all.
A guide for a few days or even one trip will put you in the ball park and give some crucial knowledge as to technique and locations.
Bring good gear, terminal tackle is best purchased in terrace or kmat . Check regs as the thread show they can change every few years. Run and gun can be a trip saver, spend little time fishing key features with focus. Start at your feet before you wade and look for the smallest fish holding structure , a stump in a foot of water can hold fish .
Buy three or four of any lure you chose you will lose a bunch and my mate murphy proves the lure or fly, you only have one of will be the killer pattern you lose after the third or fourth fish . :)
Be meticulous with knots and hooks, check often and I cannot stress sharpen sharpen sharpen.
Enjoy the experience ,dont expect slob springs first time out. They will come with time on the water. Post lots of pics and please please be bear aware. Dont forget great dolly and sea run cutties of a life time can also be had .
Feel free to pm if you have any general questions. :)

silver
07-14-2014, 05:29 AM
The skeena is a huge daunting river for a first timer. The tributaries offer a some what less daunting task , every thing on a smaller scale helps . In truth it also condences fish making life simpler over all.
A guide for a few days or even one trip will put you in the ball park and give some crucial knowledge as to technique and locations.
Bring good gear, terminal tackle is best purchased in terrace or kmat . Check regs as the thread show they can change every few years. Run and gun can be a trip saver, spend little time fishing key features with focus. Start at your feet before you wade and look for the smallest fish holding structure , a stump in a foot of water can hold fish .
Buy three or four of any lure you chose you will lose a bunch and my mate murphy proves the lure or fly, you only have one of will be the killer pattern you lose after the third or fourth fish . :)
Be meticulous with knots and hooks, check often and I cannot stress sharpen sharpen sharpen.
Enjoy the experience ,dont expect slob springs first time out. They will come with time on the water. Post lots of pics and please please be bear aware. Dont forget great dolly and sea run cutties of a life time can also be had .
Feel free to pm if you have any general questions. :)

Thank you for you post.

shredzoo7
07-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Lived in Rupert for a while, fished multiple locations between rupert and terrace, can't really go wrong, everything's pretty close to the highway. Lots of huge salmon. Scary water at some parts if you're not used to seeing really fast runs, you should go with a guide if you can afford it.

boonerkiller
07-15-2014, 12:52 PM
This is my fourth year going out to Terrace. Wasted first year not knowing what to do and not getting a guide. Got a guide first day 2nd year and started the learning from there. Started landing chinooks and some sockeyes as well. 3rd year got a 22lb steelhead on china bar which was awesome. Fishgunner is right your not going to catch the chinook on a guides broucher the first time out its way different then fishing in AB. First of many days out here today. I will post some pics when i land one. One day in Rupert with GPSL as well coming up. Tightlines!!