PDA

View Full Version : Shushwap Trout?

The Fishin Magician
07-04-2014, 12:09 AM
Always wanted to fish Shushwap for Trout and next weekend I'm getting my chance!

I know very little about the lake, where to find them and what to throw at them. Bringing my 17 foot boat with no downriggers. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

BeeGuy
07-04-2014, 12:19 AM
Big lake.

Where you headed?

An update on local conditions would be critical.

Find out if the salmon smolts are still moving heavy out of the Adams.

Tons of regulations there...tags etc.

I fished it from shore April 2013 and did poorly.

BigDad would be a good source of info as would the local fishing shops

dshot
07-04-2014, 08:10 AM
http://www.reelfishingadventures.net/

check this site out plenty of info on the shuswap and mara lakes with blogs and tips

AppleJax
07-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Anchor where the Shuswap River meets Little Shuswap Lake. Minnow imitation flys and you wont keep them off...

Red Bullets
07-04-2014, 11:11 AM
I have used a willowleaf gangtroll with a silver flatfish three feet behind.

morgan
07-04-2014, 04:00 PM
I think its called Murdoch Point, not far out of Sicamous, try Apex's in black with silver fleck or black and white. A Dipsy Diver will get you down far enough for nice Rainbows.
My father inlaw used to keep his boat at Sicamous narrows and I was able to fish it quite regularly, and did fairly well on Lakers and Bows. Fished it with 'riggers but the Diver wil work. Kokanee too, used a Willow Leaf with a small Dic Nite spoon, just like we did as kids on Wood Lake.
Watch for houseboats and yoyos that go with them. Had one almost run us over one time...

Ironsteel
07-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Murdoch point, for sure. I grew up in Sicamous and have seen some good sized rainbows pulled outta there, but that was back when old town bay had log booms a mile wide; they thrived over there.

One piece of advice about Murdoch: Don't walk around alone because Ol' Tom is always there. Tom is a giant cougar who resides around the point and even a couple years ago we could smell cat **** near the point, but we rode our bikes in. You can access the point by foot if you head down old town road and follow the one and only trail that parallels the lake.

Anyway, felt like telling the long winded story 'cause of my stomping grounds. From Murdoch to marble point, you can find fish.

The Fishin Magician
07-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Thank you all

Duster
07-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Pick a shore and go with it. I generally try to find 80 to 150 fow. Before i got downriggers i use to use 8oz slip weights to a flasher to an apex. Water melon apex. Never had a terrible day always caught fish wont be able to make it to the cabin until sept long this year after my guiding in northern manitoba.