PDA

View Full Version : More Prussian Carp

the11fisherman
07-04-2014, 01:06 AM
Yet again I went fishing out on the Bow River and Caught more carp. The first day I caught 23 and the second 6. The first day I caught 26 carp, 4 walleye, and 4 assorted suckers. Today I caught 6 carp, 2 walleye, and 8 assorted suckers. I believe the carp fishing started off so slow because of a big pike in the area. After an hour we got smart and tried to catch him. After we caught this 20 lbs pike, the carp and smaller fish seemed to move back into the huge back eddy that we were fishing.

I took some videos for interest sake for all of ya.
June2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csf2HHFLEM4
June 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4wxGLraaJs

All carp were killed and disposed of in some manner. My favorite was throwing one to a pelican. Good mouth full for him. June 2 they were averaging 1.5lbs, today they were averaging 0.75lbs

Battery
07-04-2014, 08:31 AM
I admittedly dont know much about Carp, how harmful to the system are these? Seems there are a **** ton. How are they being introduced?. I know Grass Carp can be good for ponds and lakes cause they will eat the weeds, I'm assuming thats not the case with these guys.

Winch101
07-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Who will Eat these fish , How come this isn't general knowledge ,

This is why I am for printing the Regs in a few different languages .

Promote invasive specie fishing

jacenbeers
07-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Wow the ones in the Bow are way bigger than the ones I have seen in ponds and irrigation canals.

spaghetti
07-04-2014, 11:14 AM
How did Prussian Carp even get into Alberta?

You can't even buy native species here let alone more "exotic" fish. :mad0030:

diamonddave
07-04-2014, 11:36 AM
My only question is why don't you just kill them instead of leaving them gasping on the bank? Quick bonk and done. Seems like kind of a .. move.

canliguo
07-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Yet again I went fishing out on the Bow River and Caught more carp. The first day I caught 23 and the second 6. The first day I caught 26 carp, 4 walleye, and 4 assorted suckers. Today I caught 6 carp, 2 walleye, and 8 assorted suckers. I believe the carp fishing started off so slow because of a big pike in the area. After an hour we got smart and tried to catch him. After we caught this 20 lbs pike, the carp and smaller fish seemed to move back into the huge back eddy that we were fishing.

I took some videos for interest sake for all of ya.
June2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csf2HHFLEM4
June 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4wxGLraaJs

All carp were killed and disposed of in some manner. My favorite was throwing one to a pelican. Good mouth full for him. June 2 they were averaging 1.5lbs, today they were averaging 0.75lbs

got carp at bassano dam , but looks different from the ones u caught.

clarki
07-04-2014, 01:46 PM
not totally sure but those look like quillbacks to me...

BeeGuy
07-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Have you seen many quillbacks?

goldscud
07-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Don't quillbacks look like this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishmonger/quillbackcarpsucker_zpscd723822.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/fishmonger/media/quillbackcarpsucker_zpscd723822.jpg.html)

clarki
07-04-2014, 03:37 PM
they look similar to me but after watching the vid again they are not quillbacks. wonder how these carp got in there?!

Raptor Boy
07-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Come on guys.... Everyone know how they got there and everyone needs to catch and kill as many as possible or there will only be a carp river.....

BeeGuy
07-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Come on guys.... Everyone know how they got there and everyone needs to catch and kill as many as possible or there will only be a carp river.....

Wholly disagree.

Flieguy
07-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Wholly disagree.

carp will probably grow in numbers, but I'm with Bee. It'd be pretty difficult for them to push all the trout out of the bow. I'd be surprised if they ever outnumber the natives upstream of carseland.

they cannot hybridize with trout, and they are mostly benthic (bottom) feeders. And somebody tell those eastern meatfishers about them... bet they'd love that.

Flieguy
07-04-2014, 05:46 PM
also, anybody have any ideas to start off for nymph fishing for them? look like they'd be a whole lotta fun on a 4wt

Ticdoc
07-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Good article on this situation in Alberta from mid-june. Some naïve comments at end of article.
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/goldfish-and-prussian-carp-threaten-bow-river-s-ecosystem-1.1867792

ticdoc

the11fisherman
07-04-2014, 10:27 PM
My only question is why don't you just kill them instead of leaving them gasping on the bank? Quick bonk and done. Seems like kind of a .. move.

Look closer and you'll notice that their skulls are cracked. This is what worries me about these fish. They are so strong, they just don't seem to die. I didn't show it in my video In case if some anti fisherman watched it, but at the end of the trip, I crushed their heads into nothing and then got rid of them.

the11fisherman
07-04-2014, 10:31 PM
they look similar to me but after watching the vid again they are not quillbacks. wonder how these carp got in there?!

I made the same mistake of thinking that they were just baby quill back when I first caught one, but with a quick text to a Biologist bud of mine, he set me straight and told me to keep them all for him. Now I have got so many for him he tells me to completely kill them(decapitate) and then throw them back into the river to be food for other organisms.

EP2
07-04-2014, 11:07 PM
carp will probably grow in numbers, but I'm with Bee. It'd be pretty difficult for them to push all the trout out of the bow. I'd be surprised if they ever outnumber the natives upstream of carseland.

they cannot hybridize with trout, and they are mostly benthic (bottom) feeders. And somebody tell those eastern meatfishers about them... bet they'd love that.

To what are you referring here?

Rememe
07-04-2014, 11:20 PM
if it is a real concern to everyone, why don't you just publish the detailed spot here? so that anyone interested can go and have fun.:thinking-006:

BeeGuy
07-05-2014, 12:00 AM

haha, must be referring to mountain whitefish and bull trout

Flieguy
07-05-2014, 06:18 AM

correction.... I'd be surprised if they outnumber the trout.

Icatchfish
07-05-2014, 07:29 AM
If u think this a problem then all anglers should tackle it. I'm sure F&W will start netting them soon. Till then feel free to share where u caught them so we can help or stop complaining.

Stop with the negativity

walking buffalo
07-05-2014, 08:32 AM
If u think this a problem then all anglers should tackle it. I'm sure F&W will start netting them soon. Till then feel free to share where u caught them so we can help or stop complaining.

Stop with the negativity

He has told people with enough detail in other threads where he is fishing, the Lower Bow. Try the SSR and the Oldman as well. The exact location of his fishing spot is irrelevant to others catching them. More important than the location of His fishing spot are the details of HOW he caught them and the type of water they were located in.

It's too late for efforts to eradicate these fish, an attempt at population control for the larger rivers and lakes (there are reports of them being in Crawling Valley Reservoir) through netting will likely not do much either. Sportfishing will not even begin to make any kind of a difference. These fish can spawn two to thee times a year with millions of eggs per female. Don't be surprised if several native species are negatively effected by these carp due to competition for food. Trout numbers in the Bow could easily decrease due to these carp, along with Walleye and even Sturgeon.

This Genie is out of the bottle. Only time will tell what spells are cast.

the11fisherman,

The next time you talk with the fisheries bio, ask him if they have aged the carp you caught. Are the bigger fish three years old or older? Please let us know.

the11fisherman
07-05-2014, 10:21 AM
He has told people with enough detail in other threads where he is fishing, the Lower Bow. Try the SSR and the Oldman as well. The exact location of his fishing spot is irrelevant to others catching them. More important than the location of His fishing spot are the details of HOW he caught them and the type of water they were located in.

It's too late for efforts to eradicate these fish, an attempt at population control for the larger rivers and lakes (there are reports of them being in Crawling Valley Reservoir) through netting will likely not do much either. Sportfishing will not even begin to make any kind of a difference. These fish can spawn two to thee times a year with millions of eggs per female. Don't be surprised if several native species are negatively effected by these carp due to competition for food. Trout numbers in the Bow could easily decrease due to these carp, along with Walleye and even Sturgeon.

the11fisherman,

The next time you talk with the fisheries bio, ask him if they have aged the carp you caught. Are the bigger fish three years old or older? Please let us know.

Thanks Walking Buffalo for getting that message out there. I will just repeat some of the critical info for those of you that did not see the last thread that I started about Prussian Carp. I have been catching them quite regularly from the Forks (where the Oldman and the Bow connect to make the SSR) to about 20 km upstream on BOTH rivers. But I find I have had better success in the Bow this year due to lower flows and clearer water compared to the Oldman.

Look for Backeddies. It seems like the carp like to school in these locations and have feeding frenzies. I like to hike along the river and find these locations. I almost act like a flyfisherman when going for carp and sturgeon in the fact that I don't stay in one location long, pack up my gear if the fishing is slow and go for a walk to the next good looking back eddy. Some days they are at one back eddy, the next day they aren't. Use a Small hook size (6-10 with some worm on it on either a pickerel rig or a slip rig and I find you cannot fail if there are carp in the area.

As to the age. I have been told that the 'smaller' ones (which really aren't that small, you can see from my video) are 1 year old, and the bigger ones range from 2 years up (can't remember max age). The thing is, is that they are pretty well a wild goldfish. If ay of you have a goldfish pond in your yard, you will know that if you get small feeder Goldfish and they have the chance to eat as much as they want (mosquito larva, bugs on surface + the food you feed them), they can grow at incredible rates and almost be full grown by the end of Pond season. The carp are exactly like that. In the rivers they are eating just about anything they come across that can fit in their mouth all day. Fish eggs, bug larva, plant matter, etc. They can grow incredibly fast. This worries me!

huntsfurfish
07-05-2014, 10:39 AM

the11fisherman,

Agree!

the11fisherman
07-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Good article on this situation in Alberta from mid-june. Some naïve comments at end of article.
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/goldfish-and-prussian-carp-threaten-bow-river-s-ecosystem-1.1867792

ticdoc

I put as a comment for the video to the Biologist that was in the video.
Not to try and rub it in Brian Meagher's face, but last year I met you at the Trout Unlimited fish Rescue at the Carsland diversion for the Bow River Irrigation District. I was there on behalf of the Company that I work for since it is in our contract to do so. I previously had caught Prussian Carp in the Lower Stretches of the Bow River out near Vauxhall and Medicine Hat and thought it would be a good issue to bring to your attention. As I did so, you acted like a know it all and told me that there were no carp in the river. While your Biologist comrads stood by, I told you that in fact I had the Head Fish Biologist of Alberta come take the bodies of the Fish. Then you said "Oh ya there have been carp in the river for a while.' Then I told you that the Head Biologist of Alberta told me that I was the first person to ever make a report of their presence in the Bow River. At this point you went away in a huff and your Biology comrades schooled around me to get more info. I am sorry for making you look like a fool in front of your collegues, but I was a teenager and it just didn't look good to have me show you up. Now I find it insulting that you are on television talking about it as if you knew about it all along.
Here are a few videos of mine to prove I have them figured out :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4wxGLraaJs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csf2HHFLEM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSIKkCrJ2v8

rcmc
07-05-2014, 10:58 AM
We fish the exact same waters as you this spring and summer, we have caught walleye, goldeye, chub, suckers, burbot and sturgeon. The chub are only 6 to 9 inches long and yet no Carp and that's a lot of man hours of fishing between our group, seems odd we can't catch any. Perhaps the rigs we are using won't work but catching those small chub I thought it would.

Dale S
07-05-2014, 11:45 AM
We fish the exact same waters as you this spring and summer, we have caught walleye, goldeye, chub, suckers, burbot and sturgeon. The chub are only 6 to 9 inches long and yet no Carp and that's a lot of man hours of fishing between our group, seems odd we can't catch any. Perhaps the rigs we are using won't work but catching those small chub I thought it would.

I can't seem to catch any, or have any of the people I know that fish a lot on the rivers. Wayne have you caught any yet. Has anyone else ever caught(and got it confirmed) one in the lower parts of the rivers.

BeeGuy
07-05-2014, 12:03 PM
They are spreading like crazy.

DukesArcher
07-05-2014, 02:04 PM
I love Carp fishing. Shame you have to kill them, but I understand they are not native.

Winch101
07-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Only one fisherman can catch these ,everyone else fishing that river
Hasn't even seen one . :scared0018:

BeeGuy
07-05-2014, 03:01 PM
This forum isnt representative of all the fishermen in Alberta.

As with many species, it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time and using the right technique.

the11fisherman
07-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Only one fisherman can catch these ,everyone else fishing that river
Hasn't even seen one . :scared0018:

Even the biologists in Alberta are starting to bring it to the news:thinking-006: as shared earlier http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/goldfish-a...stem-1.1867792
You can phone your local F&W officers and they will let you know that they are now present in all of the Bow River.

the11fisherman
07-05-2014, 04:00 PM

Sounds like a lot of man hours, yet it would seem like none of those hours were at the right place, right time, right technique. These fish are finicky. I fished at one back eddie for an hour at the lower end and caught nothing but walleye and assorted suckers, yet I move to the upper end and started to hook into carp like crazy, that goes to show how just a slight change of location can make a dramatic difference. Think of it as flyfishing. You are either in the right spot or not, don't waste too much time in one location hoping the fish will come to you, move and try to find where they are. A rig should work though, especially if you are using size 6-10 hooks. Can't help but notice that you left out Sauger in your list of fish caught, yet that doesn't mean they aren't there. It may just be a mistake of yours not adding it to the list though. It is only a matter of time before you all get the location, time and technique mastered. I just fumbled upon it on accident, and never forgotten it.

jacenbeers
07-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Prussian Carp have fairly small mouths. If you are using some of the bigger hooks which are typically used for sturgeon in the SSR and Bow, they will probably just chew on your bait but not get hooked. I catch them on small hooks and worm chunks pretty easily when I target them

BeeGuy
07-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Maybe the carp will devour the didymo

Save the carp!

HappySonny
07-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Let others have more fun:)

WayneChristie
07-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Let others have more fun:)

thats not the point of it, they are an invasive species, they dont belong here and they will do nothing but harm. same as crayfish, in pretty much every waterbody and still spreading. catch all you want but dont put them back alive. kill them.

spinN'flyfish
07-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Sounds like a lot of man hours, yet it would seem like none of those hours were at the right place, right time, right technique. These fish are finicky. I fished at one back eddie for an hour at the lower end and caught nothing but walleye and assorted suckers, yet I move to the upper end and started to hook into carp like crazy, that goes to show how just a slight change of location can make a dramatic difference. Think of it as flyfishing. You are either in the right spot or not, don't waste too much time in one location hoping the fish will come to you, move and try to find where they are. A rig should work though, especially if you are using size 6-10 hooks. Can't help but notice that you left out Sauger in your list of fish caught, yet that doesn't mean they aren't there. It may just be a mistake of yours not adding it to the list though. It is only a matter of time before you all get the location, time and technique mastered. I just fumbled upon it on accident, and never forgotten it.
did you use bread or corn, there's a bait ban but they love 'em

naomiC
07-06-2014, 11:43 PM

you are halarious

the11fisherman
07-07-2014, 07:23 AM

Look at the regs and you'll see that below the bassano dam there is a vast stretch of river that is not under bait ban. There was a long discussion about this in the last Prussian Carp Thread. Anyway, I used worms.

WayneChristie
07-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Look at the regs and you'll see that below the bassano dam there is a vast stretch of river that is not under bait ban. There was a long discussion about this in the last Prussian Carp Thread. Anyway, I used worms.

pay no attention to this clown its just epic angler in another one of his reincarnations wasting peoples time til he gets banned again for the umpteenth time because the basement dwelling no-lifer has too much time on his hands cause mamma took his video games and skin mags away again

jacenbeers
07-07-2014, 08:44 AM
pay no attention to this clown its just epic angler in another one of his reincarnations wasting peoples time til he gets banned again for the umpteenth time because the basement dwelling no-lifer has too much time on his hands cause mamma took his video games and skin mags away again

High five, Wayne!

Sundancefisher
07-07-2014, 08:53 AM
I love Carp fishing. Shame you have to kill them, but I understand they are not native.

Carp are very destructive.

These are also a smaller sized carp...not the large common carp you may be thinking about.

Whoever spread these around should be put away for a long, long time.

jeprli
07-07-2014, 09:40 AM
That's a lot of pet store owners to shut down.

There should be a some kind of licensing and control over purchasing and keeping exotic species. Anyone can walk into a store and walk out with a bag full of goldies, and toss em wherever they like. Any exotic specie available for sale for that matter.

These bow river crucians are huge and fat seems like they are doing extremely well.
Like jacenbeers said way bigger than what you get out of irrigation ponds.

Upper bow is too turbid for them, bellow cars eland/ above bassano is a more likely to j hold crucial carp.

AK47
07-07-2014, 09:57 AM
what a waste.... they are terrific fish when smoked or fried. Way better tasting than suckers for example. And good size:(....

jeprli
07-07-2014, 10:15 AM
I like em deep fried, great tasting fish.

the11fisherman
07-07-2014, 06:52 PM
oops

Kokanee9
07-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Don't know what the heck you are talking about Wayne. This is the first time that I ever joined this forum about 5 months ago and have only been trying to get the word out about Prussian Carp (How is this wasting peoples time) and been trying to add meaningful things to this forum plus a few funnier ones. I have even made a youtube account to try and teach people some of my favorite flies, show Prussian Carp, Pike Fishing, Wildlife, Travel Destinations, and some things just for fun. How is this to the detriment and wasting others time? They don't have to watch any of my videos or read any of my posts if they don't want to. I have never picked a fight with anyone, but I have set people straight regarding to the regulations where it is needed.
Why all of a sudden so mean? Is this just because I won't give you a list of exact locations of some of my Prussian Carp Hotspots? Or is it because I possibly got rid of your credibility by saying after fishing near you for three days I never saw you catch one Sturgeon.

Honestly I don't see why you got all of a sudden something in a knot. Peace bro.
Reported you for: rude

I think a misquote happened and he was actually talking TO you and not about you.

The one that the comment refers to is spin&flyfish, not you.

My best guess.

WayneChristie
07-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Don't know what the heck you are talking about Wayne. This is the first time that I ever joined this forum about 5 months ago and have only been trying to get the word out about Prussian Carp (How is this wasting peoples time) and been trying to add meaningful things to this forum plus a few funnier ones. I have even made a youtube account to try and teach people some of my favorite flies, show Prussian Carp, Pike Fishing, Wildlife, Travel Destinations, and some things just for fun. How is this to the detriment and wasting others time? They don't have to watch any of my videos or read any of my posts if they don't want to. I have never picked a fight with anyone, but I have set people straight regarding to the regulations where it is needed.
Why all of a sudden so mean? Is this just because I won't give you a list of exact locations of some of my Prussian Carp Hotspots? Or is it because I possibly got rid of your credibility by saying after fishing near you for three days I never saw you catch one Sturgeon.

Honestly I don't see why you got all of a sudden something in a knot. Peace bro.
Reported you for: rude

go back and read again bro, I was in no way reffering to you, I was talking about spinNflyfish knob who is the same immature clown who has nothing better to do than waste peoples time on the fiorum, people who try to help out someone who seems to be in need of it, unfortunately he is in need of a different kind of help. his name didnt pop up in the quote but you really should read things more carefully before you fly off the handle and report people. as for my credibility, I have 155 sturgeon to my name already this season, just because you didnt see em catch any doesnt mean I dont, I have a lot of places to fish and prefer to fish away from other people, I could give you a list of people a mile long who have fished with me or seen me catch them, I dont need an endorsement from you or anyone else, sorry. as for the carp, I can drive 5 minutes and catch them, have no interest in them other than would like to see the people who release them into our waters for good luck get released into the same waters themselves preferably with pockets filled with rocks.

the11fisherman
07-07-2014, 07:03 PM
go back and read again bro, I was in no way reffering to you, I was talking about spinNflyfish knob who is the same immature clown who has nothing better to do than waste peoples time on the fiorum, people who try to help out someone who seems to be in need of it, unfortunately he is in need of a different kind of help. his name didnt pop up in the quote but you really should read things more carefully before you fly off the handle and report people. as for my credibility, I have 155 sturgeon to my name already this season, just because you didnt see em catch any doesnt mean I dont, I have a lot of places to fish and prefer to fish away from other people, I could give you a list of people a mile long who have fished with me or seen me catch them, I dont need an endorsement from you or anyone else, sorry. as for the carp, I can drive 5 minutes and catch them, have no interest in them other than would like to see the people who release them into our waters for good luck get released into the same waters themselves preferably with pockets filled with rocks.

Now I feel like a big one. Sorry man, it is just how you quoted me that it seemed like you were trying one at me. Stupid I feel big time.:thinking-006:

Geezle
07-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Whoa!

WayneChristie
07-07-2014, 07:25 PM
no worries happens to the best of us. I should have included the said "person"s name in the quote too, one day someone will walk into his redwing shoe store and have a chat with him Im sure. :bad_boys_20:

the11fisherman
07-07-2014, 07:26 PM
On a scale of 1-10 how stupid I feel..........probably a 53. Just been receiving quite a few derogatory emails in my box lately. If they are from certain people I just delete them. Since my skin was already up, it led me to look like a fool. Oh well, just gotta laugh it off.

spinN'flyfish
07-07-2014, 09:42 PM

well sorry y'all im asking these worthless things for reference which is not everyone's thing. i will certainly take it down a notch and use the forum the right way. sorry the11fisherman it was my fault.same with you wayne. i feel pretty stupid but the11fisherman you should'nt feel stupid

anyways, to everyone good luck and good fishing!

p.s
i searched up some old threads for info and that ''epic angler'' is just RIDICULOUS. sorry if i acted like that.

BeeGuy
07-07-2014, 11:47 PM
Wayne, you've been foul hooked on a slow troll.

the11fisherman
07-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Anyone else catching any Prussia carp? Now that the river water levels are lowering, I am finding that they are starting to move out to the mainstream of the river a bit more and of course there are lots hanging out in the back eddies as usual.