PDA

View Full Version : Spot vs. Sat Phone. Vs. Delorme Inreach?

Albertadiver
07-04-2014, 10:00 AM
So….

I lost my 2nd gen spot device. Can’t find it anywhere. It worked well, and I was happy with it.

I appologize in advance for creating yet another thread on these devices. I've read through a few of them and I'm not sold 100% on a decision yet.

Now I’m in the market for a new emergency device. I’m looking at:

Spot Gen3
http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=100

$170.00

Basically just a replacement of what I had. I find the spot website and tracking website to be very archaic, and not as good as it could be. Especially when setting up custom messages and contact lists.

Spot Connect
http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=116

$170.00

This allows me to send and receive text messages, including the gps tracking feature that I like. The only downside I can see is that my iphone has a poor battery life, but I could always bring along a booster battery. I see this as being a bit of a step up from the Gen3.

Spot Global Phone
http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=122

$499.00

This is pretty much a straightforward sat phone. No 2 way SMS features, and no tracking features. It’s nice to have the phone capability, but I’d rather not be calling lots of people in the bush I think. I think I’d prefer to be able to send an emergency signal or an SMS with info for an emergency situation. I really like having a tracking feature for family to see where we’re at, which this phone doesn’t have.

Delorme InReach
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/why-inreach/outdoor-recreation.php

$380.00

This piques my curiosity. It has two way text, SOS, and GPS features. I believe you can tether to your smart phone with mapping features as well. I looked at the service plans and the monthly features are appealing instead of paying a big annual fee when I don’t use the device for a good portion of the year. I already have an excellent GPS so I’d consider this as a backup. I also like the fact that I can SMS another InReach device apparantley. Nice to have if radio communication is unavailable.

I’m kinda leaning towards the Delorme product.

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on these products? Have you used them? What are your likes/dislikes?

killerbren
07-04-2014, 10:03 AM
I have the older delorme in reach (not the SE) that pairs to my iPhone. I love it. Beware the new delorme SE has a rechargeable battery, which is stupid in my opinion. The older one takes AA batteries. Look online, I'm sure you can get them for a lot cheaper than $380.

Albertadiver
07-04-2014, 10:05 AM
I have the older delorme in reach (not the SE) that pairs to my iPhone. I love it. Beware the new delorme SE has a rechargeable battery, which is stupid in my opinion. The older one takes AA batteries. Look online, I'm sure you can get them for a lot cheaper than $380.

How do you like the GPS function?

Yeah - the prices I posted are MSRP from the websites. Will be looking for sales for sure.

ÜberFly
07-04-2014, 10:16 AM
We sport a PLB http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-820/mcmurdo-fastfind-ranger-personal-locator-beacon/

Not a communication device, but calls in the troops in an emergency! Also the American Alpine Club offer free evac insurance (with conditions) with the purchase of a membership! Well worth the $150 for both my wife and I!!

P

killerbren
07-04-2014, 10:29 AM
How do you like the GPS function?

Yeah - the prices I posted are MSRP from the websites. Will be looking for sales for sure.

I think its marginal at best, but to be honest I didn't use it for the gps function. I use it for the 2 way messaging and the emergency features. I carry a garmin gps to do all my routing, tracking, etc.

afranzky
07-04-2014, 10:54 AM
The Delorme is larger and heavier. They all have their pros and cons, I am in the same boat, I haven't decided yet. I have been renting a sat phone every year while sheep hunting alone, placed one to two calls a day and usually cost about $150 a week. The straight PLB's seem to be the most reliable for rescue in dire situations, just doesn't have the versatility that you are looking for. Make sure that the sat systems which these devices operate from work well in the areas that you will be travelling in. I know that some of these devices are really hit and miss in the Alberta Rockies.

mcreg
07-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Check out "Inmarsat" satellite phones. Has phone/texting/GPS capabilities and is relatively inexpensive both to buy and to operate. Wouldn't go anywhere without mine.

jim summit
07-04-2014, 12:44 PM
I like satilite phone, bought a used Gobalstar 1600 on ebay for $115 and got it set up with a canadian number, no issues. Great service and phone is very similar to the Spot phone. Global is actually the parent company to Spot.
$40 per month plan gets me all the minutes i need for any emergency call....

Okotokian
07-04-2014, 12:47 PM
I just don't want something that also requires you to carry around your cell phone....

Cell phone
Satellite communicatior
GPS
rangefinder.

I feel like a Radio Shack packhorse out there! Put a solar panel on the back of my jacket.

Au revoir, Gopher
07-04-2014, 01:42 PM
How do you want to use it? I find the simplicity of the SPOT to be pretty much what I want. I can send my wife OK messages 3 times a day, I can call in Search&Rescue if things go bad and S&R have a decent "last known location" if things go really really bad.

And yes, the less stuff (and the lighter the stuff) I have to carry the better.

ARG

killerbren
07-04-2014, 02:39 PM
I like how you can send personalized messages with the in reach. Shot a moose, need help? send a message to your buddies what happened and where. You can update your family when you think you will be home, engine trouble, ect. I find personalized messages are better than the 3 preprogrammed messages with the spot. You can also give s&r detailed info on what exactly you need help with (broken ankle, bear attack, etc.)

shooter
08-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Brought up an old thread to see if anyone has any more info or reviews. I've been considering the Inreach option myself for mountain hunts.

Thanks

A Sittn Duck
08-28-2014, 02:29 PM
It doesnt have the messaging functions but maybe check out the resQlink PLB. Supposed to be one of the best in terms of actual emergency rescue. looking at reviews, the only drawback is the lack of messaging

Peter Gill
08-28-2014, 04:51 PM
I still use & prefer a SPOT Gen1, KISS principle and all that. Can't wait to see if works from Tibet though...