PDA

View Full Version : Matches

honda450
07-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Dang where does a guy buy matches nowadays. Went to 5 stores today saying this will be simple enough. Could not find. Ask the clerk...........when I could find one and got a puzzled look in return............Are they banned?

Like to find the old Strike anywhere Eddy ones.........the ones you could lite on your teeth..............but I will be happy with paper ones.

Signed

SOL

Dacotensis
07-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Dang where does a guy buy matches nowadays. Went to 5 stores today saying this will be simple enough. Could not find. Ask the clerk...........when I could find one and got a puzzled look in return............Are they banned?

Like to find the old Strike anywhere Eddy ones.........but I will be happy with paper ones.

Signed

SOL

Safeway?

honda450
07-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Safeway?

Been there.........done that. LOL

wack99
07-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Canadian tire, dollar store

Jason

purgatory.sv
07-04-2014, 05:55 PM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/redbird-matches-250-pk-0761902p.html#.U7c-i01OXr8

Dewey Cox
07-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Just because the Safeway kid gave you a puzzled look doesn't mean they don't have them. Most people at Safeway look puzzled all the time

kmacisaac
07-04-2014, 06:01 PM
x3 for Canadian Tire....Most camping stores usually carry the water and wind proof style as well. A dollar or two more expensive but handy to have in the backpack.

Taco
07-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Jeez Honda, do'er the old fashioned way. Gallon of gas, old newspaper and a Bic.

WHOMP!!..no eyebrows

honda450
07-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Just because the Safeway kid gave you a puzzled look doesn't mean they don't have them. Most people at Safeway look puzzled all the time

Dang even More than Wally World? I can't even understand most of em. LOL

They ain't talk Canadian. :angry3:

Au revoir, Gopher
07-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Calgary Co-op (I would assume other Co-ops). The modern strike anywhere are not the same as the ones 40 years ago... I'm doing good if one out of three will light if struck "anywhere". If you use the striker on the box they are OK..

ARG

honda450
07-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Jeez Honda, do'er the old fashioned way. Gallon of gas, old newspaper and a Bic.

WHOMP!!..no eyebrows

Dang Taco got Bics coming up my ying yang...........I WANT MATCHES.

Use the old cub scout trick with gas though. LOL

With the price of gas today you only use half a liter. HAHA

honda450
07-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Calgary Co-op (I would assume other Co-ops). The modern strike anywhere are not the same as the ones 40 years ago... I'm doing good if one out of three will light if struck "anywhere". If you use the striker on the box they are OK..

ARG

Dang don't think it was 40 years ago. Maybe 10. Shoulda stocked up before the govt deemed them too unsafe for us peasants. hehe Grandma always had a good stockpile.

Taco
07-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Dang Taco got Bics coming up my ying yang...........I WANT MATCHES.

Use the old cub scout trick with gas though. LOL

With the price of gas today you only use half a liter. HAHA

I don't know, them matches could be damn uncomfortable too. Ever have a handful of them strike anywhere's go off in the left front pocket of your levi's??

twofifty
07-04-2014, 06:20 PM
How did you put out that brush fire?

jungleboy
07-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Can tire , WSS sell the Redbird brand . much better than the Sea dog one s in the yellow box

Grizzly Adams
07-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Maybe it's cause you can't trust them Big City people with matches. :lol: Never had trouble finding any around here. If in doubt, head for the Coghlans camping stuff display

Grizz

honda450
07-04-2014, 06:33 PM
I don't know, them matches could be damn uncomfortable too. Ever have a handful of them strike anywhere's go off in the left front pocket of your levi's??

Used to make sulphur bombs with matches, but I forgot the recipe. Dang. I am sure a little of taking 12 gauge shot shells apart was part of it. hehehe

Bushmaster
07-04-2014, 07:01 PM
They're not Eddy's but I buy matches at NoFrills.

ETOWNCANUCK
07-05-2014, 05:28 AM
Most smoke shops carry them....

Fisherpeak
07-05-2014, 05:39 AM
Used to make sulphur bombs with matches, but I forgot the recipe. Dang. I am sure a little of taking 12 gauge shot shells apart was part of it. hehehe

Cut off the heads and jam as many as you can in a ping pong ball and tape it up tight and fling it against a concrete wall.Big cloud of yellow smoke.:scared0018:

Taco
07-05-2014, 07:30 AM
How did you put out that brush fire?

Haha.. I didn't beat it out with a shovel that's for damn sure but I did do a near backflip comin' off a IHC tractor plus yardin' down my levis whilst airborne.

Dumbo_Dave
07-05-2014, 07:42 AM
My trusty Red Ryder and I were a common sight around our small town when I was 9 or 10. Twas safe enough though, I rarely had money for BBs. Used to sneak a handful of them E.D.Eddies now and then. They fit neatly down the barrel of the BB gun. They didn't fly very far, but a glancing blow in the dark off of a rock would give an interesting impression of a tracer bullet. The most fun though was hitting a living room window at a near 90 degree angle. The match would go bang with a very loud noise. If you caught someone sitting with their back to the window reading the evening paper.....

fordtruckin
07-05-2014, 11:40 AM
I ran into the same problem down here in Missoula! I ended up finding them at a small grocery store, 3 boxes of 300 for 3.50$ Good old Strike Anywhere. I was quite surprised that Walmart, Safeway, Albertsons, Home Depot, Lowes etc.. didn't have them. I think I'm gunna start stocking up on them.....lol

Au revoir, Gopher
07-05-2014, 11:58 AM
http://www.wholesalesports.com/storefront/renderImage.image?imageName=Camping/CampingAccessories/133817_main.jpg
These are the ones.

Saw some at Canadian Tire today.

Like I said, the strike anywhere feature is so-so, but they work OK if you use the striker.

ARG

Elkhunt
07-05-2014, 07:44 PM

ARG

x2 - I thought mine were just getting old because I bought them so long ago but no even a new box recently didn't work so well

FCLightning
07-05-2014, 07:53 PM
I ran into the same problem down here in Missoula! I ended up finding them at a small grocery store, 3 boxes of 300 for 3.50$ Good old Strike Anywhere. I was quite surprised that Walmart, Safeway, Albertsons, Home Depot, Lowes etc.. didn't have them. I think I'm gunna start stocking up on them.....lol

Were they actually strike anywhere matches - or the pretend kind they sell us up here. If they are real I will have to "import" some next time I am south.

Stumpjumper
07-06-2014, 04:09 AM

Like to find the old Strike anywhere Eddy ones.........the ones you could lite on your teeth..............but I will be happy with paper ones.

Signed

SOL

Strike any where are getin hard to find.
Try places that get lots of stuff from China like Army Navy and dollar stoires