PDA

View Full Version : PROUD of my boy

schmedlap
07-04-2014, 07:18 PM
My youngest son (21) is a very keen camper and fisher. He is trying to get some of his close friends into the fishing thing, so he will have some "keeners" to go with when I can't go. Hard for me to believe (?), but none of his 4 best buddies (same age and demographics) have ever, ever, wet a line, lake, stream, or ocean. He has done some camping with them, but no fishing. I grew up with it, so this is hard for me to imagine, but...?
So, he borrowed his brother's truck and my boat, fishing and camping gear, etc. (he of course has his PCOC and is very competent with the technicalities of boating), got them all WIN's and licenses, and organized them all for their first fishing trip this weekend. He carefully picked a place not too far off the "main drag" where he knows it is easy to catch lots of Walleye and Pike (if no trophies), easy to launch and retrieve the boat, and relatively sure to get a good campsite (we often prefer more "remote" locations).
While I was helping him select and pack the appropriate gear, he was very specific on wanting just the most basic rods and reels, and only 4 sets (3 + 1 back up set for "breakdowns") in mandating that there will be no more than 3 fishing at a time (to minimize the inevitable tangles and issues that he will have to sort out), and in only taking 4 PFD's (so no more than 4 in the boat at one time). He had really thought it out.
The other guys seemed pretty excited and awed at the whole thing this am when they departed. Hopefully he, and we, get some new devotees out of this. I am VERY proud of him for just having the initiative and organizational savvy to pull it off. Hopefully, they will get to fry a few chunks of legal "keepers" at some point in the weekend (he is also much more competent than moi in filleting matters, especially with pike).

huntsfurfish
07-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Nice to hear! Good on the boy and dad!

wildwoods
07-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Nice work dad. Passed it on

Remi3006
07-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Nice! Where did they go?

schmedlap
07-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Nice! Where did they go?
Smoke Lake.

schmedlap
07-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Home now. The "newbies" all caught some fish. No major issues with equipment, etc. So, he hopes he has "converted" a couple of them (?).
The most interesting thing is that he got checked twice in 2 days by F&W officers (on the water). He does not even remember the last time he was out in a boat and saw any enforcement of regulations (he was quite little - many years ago). No issues, as they all had licenses and PFD's, and had not killed any illegal fish. And, the officers actually gave him some valid hints on current depth and location to catch some walleye (which turned out very well). He was impressed with their attitude. He was a little disappointed that they did not even ask for his PCOC - is there a little Alberta "resistance" to this nonsense for small boats on relatively small lakes?