PDA

View Full Version : Another tip for first time car buyers- regarding insurance

Au revoir, Gopher
07-05-2014, 09:15 AM
My daughter is in the process of learning some of the fun and games of dealing with insurance.

She was stopped at a red light and was hit from behind. Apparently he mistook the gas for the brake.

When she insured her car, she had opted out of the collision coverage, so she is on the hook for dealing with the other person's insurance her self; and they are giving her the royal run-around.

Something to keep in mind for anyone thinking of saving a few bucks by not getting collision coverage.

ARG

Ken07AOVette
07-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Isn't that a complete crock? What an ignorant cheap stupid way for insurance companies to scam more money out of us.

I know a guy...:)

Au revoir, Gopher
07-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I know a guy...:)

Thanks Ken, I'll keep that in mind. Right now she is being stubborn (she gets that from her mother :)) and wants to deal with it herself. Admirable, but there is a time to call for help and after two weeks of being jerked around I think it is time. Just need to convince her.

ARG

Kim473
07-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Sounds to me that her insurance company is giving her the gears. Mine has allways delt and dealed with any problems that I have had.

rocpilefsj
07-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Sounds to me that her insurance company is giving her the gears. Mine has allways delt and dealed with any problems that I have had.

She does not have collision through her insurance... Hard to deal with another persons insurance company on your own, been there done that. Weeks turn into months pretty quick! Best of luck to your daughter.

artie
07-05-2014, 12:06 PM
when I opted out of full coverage and just put the basics on my old 97 truck the insurance company warned me they would not help me if someone else hits me. The way I look at it the truck is worth less than $1000 and has worked a hard life for me so if someone hit me I would cut my losses.

Gbuss
07-05-2014, 04:58 PM
If my memory serves me right. If she is not at fault her insurance cimpany will cover it and go after the other drivers insurance company. But i will have to check with the wife as she works for intact.

Gordon

Ok. I just got iff the phone with the better half and she tild me that if your not happy with the response time she needs to talk to the claims umbandsmen for that insurance company. Put in a complaint and the ball should start rolling.

Au revoir, Gopher
07-05-2014, 05:26 PM
If my memory serves me right. If she is not at fault her insurance cimpany will cover it and go after the other drivers insurance company. But i will have to check with the wife as she works for intact.

Gordon

Ok. I just got iff the phone with the better half and she tild me that if your not happy with the response time she needs to talk to the claims umbandsmen for that insurance company. Put in a complaint and the ball should start rolling.

Thanks for that. She already threatened them with the ombudsman, guess she will have to go the next step.

ARG

avb3
07-05-2014, 05:39 PM
A number of years back a similar situation happened with my son.

To make a long story short, after other insurance company/adjuster kept screwing around, I dug up some precedence setting law cases,

My question to them was if they wanted to go the legal route (and associated expenses) or would they prefer a settlement now. The precedence already dictated the amount that they were likely to have to pay.

It took two days for them to come back with "Now".

My son had a cheque two days after that.

Most insurance companies will do their utmost to avoid court, as judgments there have become higher and higher. Those injury type lawyers know that, and rarely will they actually go to court... but they sure can run up a lot of bills for you in the meantime which will come out of a settlement.

You can use this to do searches, although it may take a bit to set up the right filters to get results useful to you:

https://www.canlii.org/en/

Au revoir, Gopher
07-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Update.

She picked up her car today. After a few weeks of being stonewalled by the insurance company she final got the go ahead to get the repair work done. It took a couple days for the auto body shop to get the parts but it is all done now.

She had to argue with the insurance company to have the frame and wheel alignment checked... she had a hitch mounted bicycle rack on at the time. The rack took the brunt of the impact, but would have transferred a lot of the energy to the frame (or what passes for a frame on cars these days). Seemed like every time she talked to someone new at the insurance company she needed to mention the ombudsman to help move things along.

And two thumbs up for Boyd Autobody & Glass for going above and beyond. My daughter was expecting to have to go to someplace like Racks Unlimited to get an assessment of the damage to her bike rack, but when she picked up her car there was a brand new bike rack on the back. :sHa_shakeshout:

Thanks for the advice and offers of help.

ARG