PDA

View Full Version : Question a out buying land in Parkland or Lac St. Anne County

Smokey
07-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Got a question about buying a piece if property out in the country. Looking at the idea of buying land in either Parkland or Lac. St. Anne County. May seem like a dumn question but if you buy a property for the purpose of building 10-15 years down the road, and just want to build a garage and put a summer holiday trailer out there, is this typically frowned upon by the county.

The reason is I married a non outdoorsy city girl. Grew up in Suburbia. I fell I love, left the farm I ran with my dad, lived in Stony Plain or Spruce Grove for 15 years. I know all about acreages and farms and the pros and cons. Wife is not interested in the travel and so on to downtown Edmonton. But I could sell her on the idea of a summer lot or something to that effect and a place to eventually build a small house.

Any feedback appreciated.

CNP
07-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Got a question about buying a piece if property out in the country. Looking at the idea of buying land in either Parkland or Lac. St. Anne County. May seem like a dumn question but if you buy a property for the purpose of building 10-15 years down the road, and just want to build a garage and put a summer holiday trailer out there, is this typically frowned upon by the county.

The reason is I married a non outdoorsy city girl. Grew up in Suburbia. I fell I love, left the farm I ran with my dad, lived in Stony Plain or Spruce Grove for 15 years. I know all about acreages and farms and the pros and cons. Wife is not interested in the travel and so on to downtown Edmonton. But I could sell her on the idea of a summer lot or something to that effect and a place to eventually build a small house.

Any feedback appreciated.

It it's county property there is not likely to be a problem.......but checking with the county before you commit to purchase couldn't hurt. If the property is in an acreage subdivision, there may be architectural controls or other covenants in place that may restrict you. Some subdivisions will want you to complete construction within a year of initiating construction.

Red Bullets
07-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Don't buy an acreage in a subdivision. You will never be able to do as you choose or want without someone having something to say. If you buy 8o acres and there shouldn't be any problems or time constraints. And with 80 there is potential for very cheap land taxes and the land has potential to pay for itself by crop, hay or pasturage.

bison
07-05-2014, 02:26 PM

Any feedback appreciated.If she really loves you she should follow you to the north pole!... or where ever you fancy.

I know my wife would.

Smokey
07-05-2014, 07:04 PM
If she really loves you she should follow you to the north pole!... or where ever you fancy.

I know my wife would.

Goes botn ways, just looking for a compromise. I had 2.5 sections in Saskatchewan, sigh.

jungleboy
07-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Not sure about Lac St Anne county but Parkland is no fun to deal with . if there isn't a rule in place they will make one up

pickrel pat
07-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Not sure about Lac St Anne county but Parkland is no fun to deal with . if there isn't a rule in place they will make one up

X2 just look at the gain ford in....was condemed(within reason) and was bought again with thousands and thousands used to fix up(buddy has seen it, says it's amazing now) and still giving a hard time about opening.... Bunch of uppity elitist snobs on that council IMO....

Red Bullets
07-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Yellowhead county has some nice land too. A friend just bought 100acres for 140K. 60 acres Bush, 40 acre pasture and a nice dugout, serviced, fenced and a good well. The county hasn't caused him any problems yet.