PDA

View Full Version : 40lb thrust ok for 11+ ft inflatable boat??

syncronized77
07-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting either a Salter, Seamax or Kodiak inflatable in the 330 to 360 size range....so 11+ feet long...

Is a 40lb thrust trolling motor ok for moving me around a larger lake...like Wabamun?

bwackwabbit
07-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Not safe for a lake the size of Wab. If weather blows up quick (like its famous for) you'll be up S@$t creek so to speak.

Mranderson22
07-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Agreed ^^^

syncronized77
07-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Even if I wanted to only stay in the moonlight bay area?

bwackwabbit
07-05-2014, 11:11 PM
If you stick close to shore, no problem.

A 40# will move a 12' inflatable just fine. Just be sure to venture no more than a few minutes away from shore because needing to move in a hurry against any prevailing wind will be challenging at best.

TROLLER
07-06-2014, 11:41 AM
I run a 40 on my little 9ft. pond boat. It is plastic and for sure heavier than your inflatable.

By the GPS it will move me at max speed of 4mph so if you run into some big waves you are gonna be a while getting back home for sure.

If I were you and you are wanting to fish the bigger water then look around for a 4 or 5 hp outboard.

bwackwabbit
07-06-2014, 05:30 PM
^^ Good Advice.

schmedlap
07-06-2014, 06:48 PM
I had an 11' Zodiac for many years, with a 40 thrust electric, and later a 4 and then 8 horse gas motors, as well. Very versatile, in terms of going "everywhere". You can carry that gear into any place, and you don't need a "boat launch". You can float river sections. You won't "sink", but they are "cows" in terms of water resistance. One time we got on the far side of a mid-size lake and had to make it home in sudden windy conditions. Even hugging the lee shore, it was a very long, scary, cold, and wet trip. First off, if you just want to putt around in very small lakes, get a 55 thrust, at least. Not much more $, and so much better in any wind. If you want to go out on the bigger water, then get a least a 9.9 gas, and be prepared to get very wet and cold.

Eye'ee
07-06-2014, 07:20 PM
I used a 45 thrust with a 14' mercury inflatable for years. It was ok in calm waters. Not good at all when the wind came up. I always fished upwind in case I had to come back in a hurry.

EZM
07-06-2014, 08:30 PM
If you don't want to mess with gas .......... propane outboards are an option ......

http://golehr.com/lehr-marine/

These are clean, light and require no messing around .... I think these are a good option for your application.

syncronized77
07-07-2014, 09:11 AM
I think for now I'll move to a 55lb Kota Maxxum. But the option to move to a propane motor looks appealing...like you said, I don't want to mess around with open fuel tanks especially with 2 kids rummaging around everywhere

Safety D
07-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Just make sure you always have 2 batteries

EZM
07-07-2014, 08:44 PM
I think for now I'll move to a 55lb Kota Maxxum. But the option to move to a propane motor looks appealing...like you said, I don't want to mess around with open fuel tanks especially with 2 kids rummaging around everywhere

The neat thing is .... a 5hp will burn 1 lb an hour - so when you are packing light you can just use the 1 lb bottles. Screw it into the back of the outboard and you have plenty of room in the boat and nothing to trip over.

For longer trips a 10 or 20 lb bottle will last all weekend - you can either refill a few small bottles yourself OR run it right from the big bottle.

No winterizing, no fumes, very reliable, quiet fuel source.

I have read it's EPA (in the US) certified to be used in "protected habitats" where gasoline engines are not allowed. Not sure if this has even been explored in Canada but LP is clean. LP is, in fact, a gas, so by definition is restricted.

reksona
07-11-2014, 10:10 PM
"A good rule of thumb is that you want a minimum of 2 lbs of thrust for every 100lbs"

Bushleague
07-13-2014, 11:35 AM
The neat thing is .... a 5hp will burn 1 lb an hour - so when you are packing light you can just use the 1 lb bottles. Screw it into the back of the outboard and you have plenty of room in the boat and nothing to trip over.

For longer trips a 10 or 20 lb bottle will last all weekend - you can either refill a few small bottles yourself OR run it right from the big bottle.

No winterizing, no fumes, very reliable, quiet fuel source.

I have read it's EPA (in the US) certified to be used in "protected habitats" where gasoline engines are not allowed. Not sure if this has even been explored in Canada but LP is clean. LP is, in fact, a gas, so by definition is restricted.

Its a very good idea, but the idea is only as good as the motor and the motor is only as good as its customer support. I was among the first to purchase a "Viper" powered Eskimo ice auger so I speak from experience here, wait for it to catch on. Untill it does your going to have headaches, if it never does the headaches only get bigger.

As for the OP's worries about children and gasoline, do your children happen to smoke?