PDA

View Full Version : Forestry Trunk Road Cataract Creek to Junction 532 July 7, 2014

Ox Head
07-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Good morning
I just wanted to share a few photos from the drive yesterday on Hwy 40 from Catarack Creek to Junction 532 post flood rehabilitation. The road is drivable if you are pulling a trailer just a few sections you need to slow down to 30 km/h or less because it is quite rough. However there are some sections that they have rebuilt that are only big enough for one lane of traffic and not marked that way. There is still a bunch of work to be done to get it back into the shape it was before the flood but at least it is opened back up.

Construction is still ongoing on the 532 and they say it is not open however you could drive up and over in December of last year. There Was a few sections that they needed to add culvert in so i imagine that is what they are doing. I might go check it out today and snap some photos to give everyone an update.

I did notice a lot of the culvert they have been putting in, is a lot smaller than what was originally in place. Not sure why they are doing this...... Cheap fix i suppose, but more than likely it will not last when the water table comes up again. It would have been nice to see them oversize the culverts instead of undersize them. To allow larger volumes of water and potentially save them from having to rebuild the road in the future.

A couple of the photos you get to see the hood of my truck in the corner, sorry.

whammy
07-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the update, would love to see what the 532 looks like if you get a chance.

Jjolg123
07-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Did this same drive monday and there a few sections that are a bit hairy. The 2nd last photo posted above has quite the dip to it and in the photo it is a bit hard to tell. Aside from that just some large rough rock where a lot of the heavy flooding was and as indicated above a few sections that are just big enough for one lane of traffic. Was planning on going up and checking out the 532 but got a flat so put the spare on and headed home.

MooseKin
07-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Any update on being able to drive over on the 532? Just curious as I was hoping to head out this week.