PDA

View Full Version : Coming to AB for work?

Warhead155
07-06-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm in a bit of a pickle trying to plan out my not so distant future.

I just released from the canadian forces after 8 years service, and I'm flying to AB this week to start a job on a servicing rig that I have lined up.
I have no clue what I want for a long-term career, but I know the 3/1 sort of rotation is going to take a toll on my wife/kids.

What type of jobs in the patch offer good pay with good time home? I could probably convince the wife to move out there instead of me flying back.

All my experience has been as a mechanic in the army, I have my class 1E but no civilian experience trucking.

I seen a few ad's for heavy duty mechanics, electricians, welders helpers etc hiring no experience people as an apprentice, not sure exactly how that works out, work xxx hours towards your tickets, they train you on everything and you challenge the exams or? Would one even get payed enough to survive while doing this?

Need to hear some advice from people working in these jobs/areas who know a thing or two.

catnthehat
07-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Have you talked to these people?
Thank you very much for your service, BTW!:)
http://www.helmetstohardhats.ca/en/home.htm
Cat

Warhead155
07-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Have you talked to these people?
Thank you very much for your service, BTW!:)
http://www.helmetstohardhats.ca/en/home.htm
Cat

Thank you, just registered on there.
Funny how my entire chain of command / clerks etc never once mentioned such programs.

catnthehat
07-06-2014, 08:27 PM
I think it's the best kept secret in the Military!:thinking-006:
Cat

recce43
07-06-2014, 08:48 PM
what moc did you do ?

wolf308
07-06-2014, 08:56 PM
I worked service rigs too when I came out. It's hard work and difficult life style. It will show you a lot in the way of servicing wells cause they pretty much do it all or work with all services for all we'll applications. Instead of just being specialized in one thing. Working with the other services you could see which u like from there then always change jobs if there hiring. Or stay on the rig. Very challenging. Good luck and have fun.

coolpete1
07-06-2014, 09:03 PM
where are you coming from ? there is a shortage of mechanics all over the province but its really bad in edmonton , if you like good pay and horrible roads. the hard part of convincing your wife to come here will be the never ending winter.

Warhead155
07-06-2014, 09:42 PM
what moc did you do ?

Veh tech

I worked service rigs too when I came out. It's hard work and difficult life style. It will show you a lot in the way of servicing wells cause they pretty much do it all or work with all services for all we'll applications. Instead of just being specialized in one thing. Working with the other services you could see which u like from there then always change jobs if there hiring. Or stay on the rig. Very challenging. Good luck and have fun.

That's good, the more I learn the better

where are you coming from ? there is a shortage of mechanics all over the province but its really bad in edmonton , if you like good pay and horrible roads. the hard part of convincing your wife to come here will be the never ending winter.

From N.B.

SteyrSSG
07-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Definitely speak with your CoC regarding the HelmetstoHardhats program. If you are interested in heavy duty technician employment, let me know. Make sure on release you keep copies of your course reports. These plus your MPRR (formerly a UER) will help you prove your hours to the Apprenticeship Board.

Warhead155
07-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Definitely speak with your CoC regarding the HelmetstoHardhats program. If you are interested in heavy duty technician employment, let me know. Make sure on release you keep copies of your course reports. These plus your MPRR (formerly a UER) will help you prove your hours to the Apprenticeship Board.

I only spent 3/8 years as a veh tech, not even 5's qualified, then switched to artillery where again I spent most of my time on trucks because I hated the artillery lol. Not sure really what hours I could claim off that, QL3 and OJT.

Reeves1
07-07-2014, 06:30 AM
Don't know if this is what you are looking for ? Just spotted it : http://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=52d47e0b2a0c0024&q=Heavy+equipment+operator&tk=18s86kh7p07712er&from=ja&alid=bf4fdf7e20ccd3c2&utm_source=jobseeker_emails&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=job_alerts

Beautiful area - lived in Elkford for a while & used to visit the area lots before living there.

rwm1273
07-07-2014, 06:34 AM
I only spent 3/8 years as a veh tech, not even 5's qualified, then switched to artillery where again I spent most of my time on trucks because I hated the artillery lol. Not sure really what hours I could claim off that, QL3 and OJT.

Even that may get you past your first year, and therefore a bigger salary.

338ultra
07-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Good luck with your job search, and from all of us Canadians thank you for 8 years of service

angery jonn
07-07-2014, 07:59 AM
What type of jobs in the patch offer good pay with good time home?

Not many offer that! With your back ground though you could probably get on with a service or drilling company as a mechanic. I know Savanna is looking for one right now. You don't have to have a ticket, due to the fact that it is classed as off road. But from what I understand they do still apprentice guy's. Theres also tonns of sub contract mechanics for the rigs that regularly take on apprentice's.

If it was me though, starting out, I would try and take a few plc course's and look into becoming a tech.

leeaspell
07-07-2014, 08:16 AM
What type of jobs in the patch offer good pay with good time home?

Not many offer that! With your back ground though you could probably get on with a service or drilling company as a mechanic. I know Savanna is looking for one right now. You don't have to have a ticket, due to the fact that it is classed as off road. But from what I understand they do still apprentice guy's. Theres also tonns of sub contract mechanics for the rigs that regularly take on apprentice's.

If it was me though, starting out, I would try and take a few plc course's and look into becoming a tech.

Depends on where you live I guess. I go home every night, as do lots of people who live around here. But if you move to Edmonton or Calgary I suspect that home time will not be as plentiful.

angery jonn
07-07-2014, 08:27 AM
True, I suppose. I guess it depends on where you want to live and what you want to do. If your looking to chase rigs, it's not to often your going to spend your carrer in one place.

fn1949
07-07-2014, 08:32 AM
You might want to try civic Governments such as Calgary and Edmonton as they seem to be Vetran friendly and pay decent. Thanks for your service:sHa_shakeshout:

bsmitty27
07-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Fire departments are still hiring, not as many as a few years ago though. Military service is thought of very highly in fire service hiring, as well as trades.
Edmonton posts in feb. call other citys HR dep to see when they post and min requirements. You'd still need somthing for now. But the job allows great family time. And a schedule booked a year in advance!
Your not going to get rich though.
Good luck and thanks for the years served!
Brad

Warhead155
07-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Thank you everyone for all the info/ideas.

When someone takes you on as an apprentice, do you end up having to go to school or do they train you on everything, give you your hours and then you do the exams?

bubba 96
07-07-2014, 06:03 PM

When someone takes you on as an apprentice, do you end up having to go to school or do they train you on everything, give you your hours and then you do the exams?

In my parts tec apprenticeship 2nd yr as we speak, ya need at most 3 things to finish a 1st yr, 1 go to school, 2 do exam, 3 get required hrs, that is how Idid it, however, you can challenge the exam and avoid step 1, but you still need to pass exam, and then get required hrs..also you will need an employer to start ya off...
School for me is 6 weeks first and third years and 8 weeks my second year..

Hat in the Cat
07-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Alberta is now letting people transfer DND skills into certificates similar to inter provincial transfers.

http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/experiencedworkers/recognized-trade-certificate.aspx

Select the Trade Certificate you are looking for in section 1 then select DND in section 2 (if DND is not in the list there is no equivalent yet)

As well as Helmets to Hardhats, check out Canada Company

https://www.canadacompany.ca/en/

Click on the MET logo in top left then the login on the right to register.

If you PM me with your email I can send you some more good info that could help.

dantonsen
07-07-2014, 06:50 PM
the down stream processing end of oil and gas is the place to be as far as the patch goes.

The plant I am at starts trades and operationss at basically oil rig driller rates, 15 minutes from home, steady year round work.

Some sort of patch work is a good way to start in alberta, then you can get a feel for the place and see what is out here while making some alright coin.

Most money quotes from the patch are hour amounts. The base rates wouldnt pay near as much on a normal 40hr work week.

Warhead155
07-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Alberta is now letting people transfer DND skills into certificates similar to inter provincial transfers.

http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/experiencedworkers/recognized-trade-certificate.aspx

Select the Trade Certificate you are looking for in section 1 then select DND in section 2 (if DND is not in the list there is no equivalent yet)

As well as Helmets to Hardhats, check out Canada Company

https://www.canadacompany.ca/en/

Click on the MET logo in top left then the login on the right to register.

If you PM me with your email I can send you some more good info that could help.

Thank you, was looking at that earlier.
I never did my QL5, and I think I'd rather start off in a different trade anyway.
Being a mechanic isn't all that its cracked up to be :)

7mmremmag
07-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Nothing wrong with working on service rigs. Ive been at it for 12 years. I work 45 minutes from home, with steady work year around. Its provided a very rewarding career. Im now a consultant and doing very well.

Not all rig work is in camps or hotels away from the family.

Warhead155
07-07-2014, 06:59 PM
the down stream processing end of oil and gas is the place to be as far as the patch goes.

The plant I am at starts trades and operationss at basically oil rig driller rates, 15 minutes from home, steady year round work.

Some sort of patch work is a good way to start in alberta, then you can get a feel for the place and see what is out here while making some alright coin.

Most money quotes from the patch are hour amounts. The base rates wouldnt pay near as much on a normal 40hr work week.

That's my thoughts on it, start out rigging to see what it's all about and get the experience, then if the opportunity presents itself to get into a trade. What type of hours/shifts do you normally do there?

Warhead155
07-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Nothing wrong with working on service rigs. Ive been at it for 12 years. I work 45 minutes from home, with steady work year around. Its provided a very rewarding career. Im now a consultant and doing very well.

Thats really good to hear actually.
What type of advancement is available if you stick with rigging?

7mmremmag
07-07-2014, 07:15 PM
You can take it as far as you want. When I was single I wanted a change, so I went and pushed rigs in Europe for 2 years on a 28/28 rotation. I really enjoyed that.
Dont get me wrong you work for your money, but its typically very good money.

Advancement really depends on where in the province you work and being in the right place at the right time.
Typically on a rig in the west where more technical work is done on wells it will take a guy longer to move up than as opposed to an area with basic oil/heavy oil workover work.
I started at 18 as a roughneck, drilled at 22 and was pushing at 25. That is very quick in my opinion, and I probably wasnt ready. But I gave it 110% everyday and someone obvously thought I deserved it. Also I attribute that quick advancement to being in the right place at the right time.

PM me if you need anymore info, I can definitely help you out.

Who are you going to work for and out of which office?

Warhead155
07-07-2014, 07:37 PM
You can take it as far as you want. When I was single I wanted a change, so I went and pushed rigs in Europe for 2 years on a 28/28 rotation. I really enjoyed that.
Dont get me wrong you work for your money, but its typically very good money.

Advancement really depends on where in the province you work and being in the right place at the right time.
Typically on a rig in the west where more technical work is done on wells it will take a guy longer to move up than as opposed to an area with basic oil/heavy oil workover work.
I started at 18 as a roughneck, drilled at 22 and was pushing at 25. That is very quick in my opinion, and I probably wasnt ready. But I gave it 110% everyday and someone obvously thought I deserved it. Also I attribute that quick advancement to being in the right place at the right time.

PM me if you need anymore info, I can definitely help you out.

Who are you going to work for and out of which office?

PM'd you.
That sounds pretty fast to me, but that's what I want want as well.
I'm already 24 now, not getting any younger lol.

Which company(s) was that for? Was it servicing or drilling you were in?

coolpete1
07-07-2014, 07:56 PM

8 weeks of school ,4 times for a mechanic , or challenge the exam if your employer signs off that you are qualified enough to skip school. your army stuff should credit quite a few hours to get you to first and maybe second year quickly . mechanics make between 30 and 45 an hour depending where your working.

brownbomber
07-07-2014, 11:03 PM

I know right, so many that aren't familiar with the northeast have a hard time comprehending home every night, no camp, not much for breakup, work year round, Lloyd to bv we've got it pretty good

Warhead155
07-08-2014, 10:54 PM
I know right, so many that aren't familiar with the northeast have a hard time comprehending home every night, no camp, not much for breakup, work year round, Lloyd to bv we've got it pretty good

That sounds better than no work for 3 months of the year.

Which companies do you guys know of that fly employees back to the east coast on their off rotation?

brownbomber
07-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Maybe clean harbours. Check the places that do recruitment drives out east. Most places based in towns in my area won't touch that. That's more of a camp thing.

Warhead155
07-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Landed in Ed last night.
Suprised how light it still is here at 11pm.
The air is def dryer than the east coast, my throat feels like 80 grit sand paper.