PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a good experience shipping a puppy?

densa44
07-07-2014, 07:17 AM
This could be a rant, we arrived two and a half hours early at YEG to put a pup on a flight to Denver, first the address on line was wrong for the UA cargo terminal, then when we did find it (on Sunday) we see that it is closed for a one hour lunch. At one o'clock, we start a one hour 20 minute wait at the counter to "fill out paper work" and their computer system keeps going down, the clerk has never done this before. The pup had a reservation BTW.

The flight leaves at 1455 and at 1450 we still don't know if he has made the plane, his owners are on route from South Dakota to meet his plane and are expecting their dog.

He makes the plane and we head home on our 3 hour drive. The US customs for animals will be closed when the pup gets there we find out by phone from the new owners, who are waiting at the air port in Denver.

Making a long story short, dog lovers always find a way, the customs people that process humans looked after him and he is on his way with his forever family to Pheasant paradise in SD.

I'll never do this again on a Sunday but other than that are there any other suggestions that may help for the next time?

angery jonn
07-07-2014, 07:49 AM
I just won't ship a dog period, after my first and last experience. I had to wait 4hrs after he landed before I could get him. No one could help me and I was sent to 3 different locations trying to find him. When I left the airport the in the States, they said he would be at customs, in the airport, waiting for me. Boy was that wrong, he wasn't even at the airport. When I finally did get the right address, they sent me back to the airport to fill out a form and get a stamp from customs. Stanley flew from LA, had a lay over in Houston and then to Calgary. He was at the animal care at 3:00am and I got him at 9:oopm. During the whole time he was let out once in Houston. I asked the lady in Calgary when they recieved him, she told me just before 5:00PM. I then asked her why they never let him out to go to the bathroom. The response I got blew my mind. She told me they aren't allowed to handle the animals. Now I could deal with that answer if as soon as your pet cleared customs you could handle your dog. But 4hrs after landing, thats a bit ridiculous. I.M.O. She wouldn't even let me take him out untill I took her paper work back to the airport to get the stamp. I asked her why and she said I could just take the dog and run. I offered to leave her my wallet and keys, still got the same answer. I don't know if all the airports are like this, but I was very dissappointed with the whole system.

densa44
07-07-2014, 07:57 AM
To the person shipping the dog, they put up a great front, "Pet Care" I think is the company/department they use for shipping. The dog had a $329 ticket and to be treated like that is outrageous.

angery jonn
07-07-2014, 08:04 AM
I couldn't agree more, I was sickened by the whole experienced. The cost involed compared to the care the dog recieved, blew my mind. Next time I'll drive! It really surprises me that they can keep there doors open.

Redfrog
07-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Never had a problem.

Foxton Gundogs
07-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Never had a problem.

Same here I have shipped pups and received many pups/dogs from all over North America and never had a problem pups were always well taken care of and happy upon arrival.

wwbirds
07-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Never had a problem
rob

Zuludog
07-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Flying with our dog on West Jet was great. They really seemed to care and on a lay over they let us walk her, no problems. :)

I will never fly with a pet on Canadian Airlines again, and will avoid using them if I can to fly myself. Went to pick up Zulu at the over size and special claims area and they couldn't find her, while they were looking I heard a ruckus over in the general baggage area. Ran over there in time to see my dog crate coming out on the conveyor belt with the general luggage. She was shaking so bad in her crate that it was about to fall off of the conveyor when I caught it. I opened it in the airport and she bolted over to my wife. To this day I can hardly get my once kennel trained dog into any crate. :mad0100:

thumper
07-07-2014, 04:00 PM
I will never fly with a pet on Canadian Airlines again, and will avoid using them if I can to fly myself.

You're in luck - Canadian Airlines went out of business 15 years ago :)

Had my 8 week old puppy shipped to me by air and he was surrounded by crated cats the whole way - seems a cat show had just finished up in Toronto. After 4+ hours listening to a herd of constantly meowing cats - he developed an extreme dislike for them, that he held his entire life.

I picked him up at the airfreight building - no problems

redbike
07-07-2014, 04:03 PM
We ship dogs around north america regularly, and haven't had any real difficulties. If your paperwork is in order and you know what the health certificate requirements are, it should be relatively painless for both man and dog.

densa44
07-07-2014, 04:15 PM
The dog had more papers than zig zag. I'm concerned that the international aspect was the problem. At 10 weeks he can't have a rabies shot, so the airline was sure that the pup would have to be quarantined and gave us the form.

Fortunately the Denver customs just released the dog.

I flew the dog United which is AC's code share partner. Delta told me that they had an embargo on dogs because it was "too hot".

This issue is bound to come up again and I'd like to have a better plan.

wwbirds
07-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Many years ago we shipped 3-4 dogs a year into US and never had a problem. You just hit the one clerk that had not done it before and that set off a chain of events. think everything we flew into US went United without a hitch.
We coordinated the arrival time with the buyers so they could check out the logistics at their end so that certainly wouldnt hurt to improve the plan in future.

angery jonn
07-07-2014, 06:09 PM
I don't know, we used United too. The Americain side was fine, but with what happened on the Canadian side, Ill pass. It had nothing to do with the paper work being in order ether, I had to get papers after he arrived and take them back to the airport for them to stamp. In todays age, one would think you could use a fax or email.

I'm glad to hear a lot of you guys have had good experiences with the airlines though!

sask
07-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Delta dash ,counter to counter service in the US - had excellent service

nitro
07-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Ok well actually right now most airlines do have a embrgo because of heat for a good reason.If the plane is not running the cargo holds are not climate contolled so think car with the windows rolled up on a hot day so if that plane is delayed on the tarmac for any reason.I am surprised United flew him out today and that might have been the hold up was to see if it was going to be cool enough in denver.That said we just shipped a dog to KS for training yesterday.We used http://www.adventureboundgundogs.com/delivery.html will let you know how it turns out problem being is that we still had to drive him to ND.Sometimes never hurst to ask on here who might be taking a trip and would not mind a puppy going with them :).Shipping dogs is never fun, in the summer almost impossible.The airlines are not making it any easier,I think because they don't want the hasle anymore

Unregistered user
07-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Would this help?

http://rulingcatsanddogs.com/funny-pet-picture-19-cat-carrier-joke-Tabby-Tote-domestic-animals-humor-pic.htm

angery jonn
07-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Thats priceless!

chauncy
07-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Was so looking forward to getting my puppy today, but apparently United Airlines don't know how to book pets properly.

I spoke to them last night and they assured me everything was fine and she should be in Calgary tonight at 6:45.

The breeder texted (phoned) me this morning and said that the airlines booked her on the wrong plane, the one she was booked on don't carry animals.

Long story short I will have to get her flown to Seattle -my sister will get her and I have to drive down this weekend to pick her up. Not a happy camper.

That was my original plan , until United assured me they could fly her to Calgary.