PDA

View Full Version : ruby or grizzly lakes

Skshunter19
07-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Has anyone ever been fishing at ruby or grizzly lakes up near castle mountian ski resort. Going on scout camp this weekend out there and will be fishing at both lakes. What kind of fish, good lures to use. will be using a spinning rod. any feedback is appreciated.

Scott N
07-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Disclaimer: I have never been to either lake.

I have wanted to go to Grizzly Lake before though as it's supposed to have some pretty nice brook trout in it. As far as my research went, most people take the trail that starts off the South Castle River, and it's quite a long hike. I've been on the trail hunting before, but never all the way to the lake. You have to cross the river to get to the trailhead, and I think that would be dangerous at this time of year because of the high/fast water. (most people take horses from what I understand). It would be easier to cross later in the summer, but now I'm not even sure if you could cross it on foot without getting swept downriver.

I've read that there is another trail in from the ski hill side of the mountain range, and while shorter, it's a lot more difficult of a hike, perhaps requiring some climbing gear.

Edit: here's a previous thread of mine:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=169215

Perchfisher
07-07-2014, 04:54 PM
It certainly is a good hike from the east side to the lake. Have not been there for a number of years but remember that it was more than you should do in a one day hike if you want to spend anytime fishing. The river we were able to cross with a four wheel drive at that time but not sure if that is still possible. Beauty of a place to go.