PDA

View Full Version : Heavy equipment operator jobs

fishfanatic101
07-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Hi I came across this board doing a google search and found an older post on HEO schools. It was from 2012. My name is Pete and I am from Lambton County in Ontario. I have a 19 year old son who has just finished a Heavy Equipment Operator course and is looking for work. I read the previous post from a couple years ago and I agree with the other board members and have explained to my son that just because he took that course doesn't mean he knows the first thing about operating and that he would be best to learn on the job site . The course was good to give him the basics of operating and to get a feel for the equipment . Now he is ready to find some entry level work and start from the bottom and work his way up and begin his career as an operator. I was just hoping someone on hear could give him some advice where to look and info on how busy the mines are out there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated . Thank You Pete.

pickrel pat
07-07-2014, 06:59 PM
I applied as labourer/operater on applications, usually got on as a labourer, but when operating jobs opened up the guys all knew I had some exp and got thrown in loaders and what not. Just tell him to get his foot in the door by taking a lesser job and an opportunity will arise soon enough.

Taco
07-07-2014, 07:25 PM
And try to keep the smartmouth in check or you'll spend the rest of your life skinnin' a loader.....

norwestalta
07-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Try Ken Wilson in gp. They're always looking for guys. Might want to leave out the dozer college degree and substitute with a little experience.

friendofacatahoula
07-08-2014, 12:15 AM
The Calgary airport hires seasonal guys for both winter and summer gigs. The equipment is mostly newer, the pay is decent for not being further North and longer term opportunities.

fishfanatic101
07-08-2014, 04:00 AM
Thank you for the great advice guys I really appreciate it . I think we may even plan a trip out there in the next couple weeks, I have never been out west and it is probably better to bring resumes around in person than to just email them . Pete

Dog_River
07-08-2014, 05:29 AM
Attitude is everything ! I cant stress this enough. he NEEDS to have a willing, humble, polite attitude. He should be more than willing to do lesser jobs and put his heart and sole in them. He will climb the ladder faster like this, trust me. Make sure he is ALWAYS on time and willing to work overtime when asked. He should start his apprenticeship ASAP.

Good luck with his future. A fun time in his life.

Dog_River

fishfanatic101
07-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys , it is very much appreciated. I always taught he to be respectful of his boss and be ambitious on the job site. We get a lot of kids out of highschool here that aren't worth a dam and I would hate to have my kids be like that. Pete

Fisherpeak
07-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Nobody mentioned this yet.I am a heavy equipment Op.
Never start a machine without checking oil,fuel and a general walk around.Always keep your machine CLEAN inside.Bosses can tell a lot about a guy whos rig looks filthy inside.I have a little bottle of Armorall and a roll of paper towels.It`s always nice to climb in a clean machine.Shows you care.
It`a an indication of your character.And.....grease it.Lots of lazy guys don`t.

silver
07-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Never start a machine without checking oil,fuel and a general walk around.Always keep your machine CLEAN inside.Bosses can tell a lot about a guy whos rig looks filthy inside.I have a little bottle of Armorall and a roll of paper towels.It`s always nice to climb in a clean machine.Shows you care.

Good stuff.

BobNewton
07-09-2014, 10:40 PM
What he said.

As a heavy equipment mechanic. I personally don't care what your cab looks like most times. But when I have to work in there. Mouldy sandwiches, smoke packs, water bottles and everything else in every crevices drives me up the wall. And usually make it a point to let Mr Forman know it look a little longer to deal with his mess. (usually all ends up on the ground when I'm done. Then fired back onto the floor before I leave). Mr Forman usually appreciates me telling him this.

As mentioned. Check all fluids. Best way to get skidded ASAP is blow up a costly component (pump/engine) by running it low on oil.

And again. As mentioned. Grease it!!! If it says daily. Grease it daily. And if in doubt. Get out at lunch time and give it another few shots. Very very few places can you over grease.

And for the love of all things holy. If your machine has the operators manual in the cab still. USE IT. Been to 59827483 call outs for no reason. It contains A LOT of info. Where to grease. How much to grease. Oil changes. How to check fluid levels. It's not always straight forward and every manufacturer is different.

And respect the iron. It's big. It's heavy. And can kill someone or yourself very quickly. I've met far to many people missing parts of their body. And have lost good people all together.

It's a fun line of work to be in. Be prepared to put some time in. If a guy starts as a laborer. Offer to help shovel tracks/clean machines. Study where the dipsticks are. And be patient. Can be long days at first going back and forth in that packer. But it's a start and gets you involved in the dirt work. A motivated guy can move up quickly. Show a great deal of interest. Ask for an opportunity to try running a unit after hours on your own time. and not be the first pickup off site at the end of the day.

Good luck!