PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus reviews

Lefty
07-07-2014, 09:20 PM
My antivirus is expiring and I was wondering thoughts on what is available out there like ESET, Kaspersky, Norton and Microsoft esentials. I've always ran a brand name but was wondering if the free one would do the job?

flyguyd
07-07-2014, 09:53 PM
I use Webroot Secure Anywhere. Great antivirus, anit spyware ,anti malware. Low maintenance, small footprint.
I used to run a free one a few years ago, but figgured maybe you get what you pay for...
I would avoid Norton,every hacker on the planet attacks it daily....lol. Ive had ESET as well and liked it ,but when i upgraded to windows 7 it wasnt availible and i went to webroot instead.
ad

Crankbait
07-07-2014, 10:20 PM
don't buy Kaspersky it has made composing letters and posting anything a nightmare and it wont let me enter very secure safe webpages (namely the webpage for a company I work with because it is on cloud). otherwise its great.

Artist
07-07-2014, 10:26 PM
AVG! Free download - awesome program!

Sundancefisher
07-07-2014, 10:26 PM
don't buy Kaspersky it has made composing letters and posting anything a nightmare and it wont let me enter very secure safe webpages (namely the webpage for a company I work with because it is on cloud). otherwise its great.

Shaw has free mcafee. Works good.

averagejoe
07-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Shaw has free mcafee. Works good.

Every IT person I know avoids Mcafee like the devil.

I personally use Avast.

outcampn
07-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Eset has been my protector for years and I haven't had any problems. I also find their support to be extremely good.

silverdoctor
07-07-2014, 11:42 PM
I find one is pretty much as bad as the other. Some clients run norton, some AVG pro, one has avast pro, another has mcafee. There is no such thing as perfect, i've cleaned pc's running every version of AV on the market over the years.

What one needs to realize, once you are infected, your antivirus is pretty much rendered useless - you may not realize you have a virus. The software will still update, still scan. Think about running malwarebytes or other virus scanner once in a while - you don't need to pay for it, just run a manual complete scan.

If you are into high risk surfing, you're bound to get hit at some point but even safe surfers get hit. If you have kids on your computer, chances are good there's something on your pc that you don't want.

I get infected once in a while, rare yes but I know when it happens and why, generally cause I did something stupid.

CptnBlues63
07-08-2014, 09:00 AM

I personally use Avast.

ROFLMAO

Indeed!

I can't tell you how many times a McAfee update effed up people's networks. You couldn't give me McAfee!

If you're looking for free AV software Avast and AVG are good. But they're no longer completely free. You get a one year "trial" and then either buy it or uninstall it as it will stop working

If you're running Windows 7 or 8 I can recommend using Microsoft Defender (In Windows 7 you will have to download the Security Essentials suite to get it). It's free and is actually good software. I run Windows 7 on my main PC at home and installed Defender (Security Essentials) on it a few months back and I'm liking it.

If you don't mind paying for your AV, then Trend Micro makes a good product. I've also used F-Protect and found it reliable. Norton is ok if you can buy only the AV software. If you buy their security suite, it's a memory hog and tends to bog your system down.

If you're already infected google "online antivirus scanner" There are a couple out there that are worthwhile. I've used the Trend Micro "housecall" with good results in the past.

Bjay
07-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Had nothing but trouble with AVG, and Macafee really takes over your computer. Now use Telus antivirus and Avast free version. and Malwarebytes Ant-malware. No problems so far.

silverdoctor
07-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Had nothing but trouble with AVG, and Macafee really takes over your computer. Now use Telus antivirus and Avast free version. and Malwarebytes Ant-malware. No problems so far.

I think telus repackages bitdefender. Running 2 antivirus softwares on your computer can cause some issues.

dcutter
07-08-2014, 11:39 AM
AVG! Free download - awesome program!

x2

I've been using the free AVG for years and {knocks on wood} haven't had a single virus infect my systems.

jd7mmultra
07-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Kaspersky is not compatible for windows 8.1 .

Red Bullets
07-08-2014, 01:09 PM
I have used Trend Micro for 3 years. no problems.

I also bought AVG PC Tune Up just to clean up my machine.

Both keep my PC smooth as butter.

Marsha
07-08-2014, 03:04 PM
The Best as far as I am concerned is Norton

But not the 360 version TOO cpu involved

The Internet Security version is best It has kept my system clean for years..

All 14 computers, 6 of which are a internet cafe I have ran for 15 years..

Anytime the cafe has a unit down it has been due to Direct Customer stupidity or equipment failure And to take care of malware, Malwarebytes well worth it..:sHa_shakeshout:

sailor
07-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Panda ,but it's not free

drhu22
07-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Panda ,but it's not free

Free version...
http://download.cloudantivirus.com/

Also they have a very good on demand scanner (no real time protection)...
http://pandacloudcleaner.pandasecurity.com/facebook/

And don't forget one of the best rated avs (free version)...
https://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-free-antivirus

May 2014 AV tests...
http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

After seeing those test results you also may want to check out Bitdefender Free...
http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Dunezilla
07-08-2014, 06:04 PM

I personally use Avast.

I use Avast Free & it works great. I added a couple of free software's & my computer has been doing good.