PDA

View Full Version : RCMP officer shot in Fort McMurray

leeaspell
07-08-2014, 06:36 AM
EDMONTON- An RCMP officer is in hospital with non life-threatening injuries after being shot by a fellow officer Saturday afternoon.

It happened around 12:45 p.m. on Loutit Road in Fort McMurray.

Wood Buffalo RCMP officers were responding to a weapons complaint at an apartment complex. While on scene, a gun*was drawn by an officer and the second officer was shot.

The names of the officers are*not being released. No one else was injured.

The Wood Buffalo General Investigation Section and RCMP Major Crimes Unit from Edmonton are currently investigating the incident.

Alex Lumsden, 22, the subject of the complaint, was taken into custody and charged with uttering threats, assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.

kingrat
07-08-2014, 08:45 AM
wow could have been a little kid or anyone so many things wrong with this its unreal must have been sleeping during their weeks of firearms training or really didnt like their partner unreal howd ya feel if he would have died but hey they got em i guess lol.

elkdump
07-08-2014, 08:53 AM
when the Military shoots each other ?, it is called "FRIENDLY FIRE" !

when the Cops shoot each other it is called "improper use of a firearm"

lmao :argue2:

silverdoctor
07-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Wow... Just wow...

6.5 shooter
07-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Really SAD but I couldn't help but laugh.... what a joke, we have become.

Kurt505
07-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Really SAD but I couldn't help but laugh.... what a joke, we have become.

Almost sounds like a clip from Super Troopers.

avb3
07-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Aren't we speculating a bit here?

Sounds like the accused was not exactly a nice person. We don't know if and what kind of a struggle occurred, we don't know if that caused a discharge, we don't know if the member was involved in the struggle and the shot was intended for the accused. We don't know any of that.

We also don't know if the member was totally at fault.

None, some or all of the above could be the reason.

But let's not hang someone before the trial.

mooseknuckle
07-08-2014, 11:52 AM

Sounds like the accused was not exactly a nice person. We don't know if and what kind of a struggle occurred, we don't know if that caused a discharge, we don't know if the member was involved in the struggle and the shot was intended for the accused. We don't know any of that.

Your right let's wait for the RCMP investigation. They will get to the bottom of it and clear it up for the masses. Full transparency, the truth!! What a joke.

Joe Fehr
07-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Sounds like quite the incident..... We'll never hear the results of the investigation anyways....

jackrabbit000
07-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Maybe they should issue them guns with no bullets. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Kurt505
07-08-2014, 02:55 PM

Ever see "the other guys"? Maybe a wooden replica for the "shooter" until he learns the proper use of a firearm.

BeeGuy
07-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Lemme guess, it was a jihading muslim?

Redfrog
07-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Lemme guess, it was a jihading muslim?

:thinking-006:

elkhunter11
07-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Another news article used a bit different wording. Is sounds like the officer actually fired the weapon, rather than an accidental discharge occurring during a struggle.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/edmonton/story/1.2699732

RCMP say the two officers were at an apartment complex Saturday when one of them fired his weapon, hitting the other.

rugatika
07-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Another news article used a bit different wording. Is sounds like the officer actually fired the weapon, rather than an accidental discharge occurring during a struggle.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/edmonton/story/1.2699732

RCMP: We're working on the least embarassing story we can think of even as we speak.

guywiththemule
07-08-2014, 07:38 PM
RCMP: We're working on the least embarassing story we can think of even as we speak.

^^Yes. We will decide what the truth should be !!:sHa_shakeshout:

twofifty
07-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Maybe just maybe having an incident a week is part of a grand strategy to overwhelm the media with cases to follow up on. ;) Given the media's short attention span, the bigger abuses and royal screw ups get drowned in a sea of lesser events.

But it's not working and here's the proof:

Ask yourself what is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear that the RCMP made the news? For me it's "ok, what have they done now!".

sprbloggins
07-08-2014, 08:46 PM

Aside from the bad jokes gents.....let's remember what happened in Moncton N.B more recently. These individuals have to real idiots, idiots with weapons who want to kill Police and anyone that stands in their way. They have to deal with whatever "nut bags" are out there and nobody else wants to deal with it. Day in and day out.

I have to deal with this......my wife is an RCMP officer and I get worried each time she sets out each day to deal with whatever situation may arise. She also worries when I go on a mission overseas as I am in the Military.

We (you) all have our own opinions good or bad.

My 2 cents fellow Outdoorsmen.

nube
07-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Amazing some of the comments on here. It's not like it was a stressful situation and adrenalin was involved at all here and who knows what happened really. Didn't sound like the guy was very nice. Sad to hear this turn out this way

Tundra Monkey
07-08-2014, 09:16 PM
x2 Nube

CNP
07-08-2014, 09:53 PM
X3

3blade
07-09-2014, 12:02 AM
stop with the Moncton stuff. We all agree none of those individual officers (or any others) deserved to be shot. Something bad happening does not give them a free pass.

Simple fact is that as a group, their dishonesty and anti gun agenda has no place in any public organization. let alone an armed one without effective oversight. And their training deficiencies are becoming more obvious every week.

1000yards
07-09-2014, 01:02 AM
Just glad he is going to recover.

We need every good RCMP member we can get.
We lose enough of them as it is to well paying jobs that they don't have to put their lives in danger for, let alone the freak occurrences where one is injured or killed in the line of duty.

bigd
07-09-2014, 01:16 AM

None of this ^^ matters around here.

sprbloggins
07-09-2014, 04:30 AM
stop with the Moncton stuff. We all agree none of those individual officers (or any others) deserved to be shot. Something bad happening does not give them a free pass.

Simple fact is that as a group, their dishonesty and anti gun agenda has no place in any public organization. let alone an armed one without effective oversight. And their training deficiencies are becoming more obvious every week.

So you think you know what each of theses individuals goes through everyday? You don't think they know that their training deficiencies are inadequate? This doesn't make you "judge, Jury, and executioner."

"Free pass?" WTF??? There is going to be some bad apples in each bunch and this would be somewhere in their upper echelon. Not all Mounties who are out in our communities the bad ones.

JohninAB
07-09-2014, 06:15 AM
Amazing some of the comments on here. It's not like it was a stressful situation and adrenalin was involved at all here and who knows what happened really. Didn't sound like the guy was very nice. Sad to hear this turn out this way

X4

twofifty
07-09-2014, 08:09 AM
So you think you know what each of theses individuals goes through everyday? You don't think they know that their training deficiencies are inadequate? This doesn't make you "judge, Jury, and executioner."

"Free pass?" WTF??? There is going to be some bad apples in each bunch and this would be somewhere in their upper echelon. Not all Mounties who are out in our communities the bad ones.

You're right and of course to repeat your words "there is going to be some bad apples in each bunch and this would be somewhere in their upper echelon. Not all Mounties who are out in our communities (are) the bad ones."

We all understand there will always be some bad apples in policing, just as there are bad home builders and bad mechanics. That's reality.

The problem lies in that the RCMP have established a decades long institutional pattern of denial and cover-up. The upper echelons have been hiding their bad members' misdeeds and incompetence behind spin, lies, obfuscation, and in some cases have gone as far as perjury.

High River was and still is the perfect storm of this ingrained reluctance to be accountable or to tell the truth.

The RCMP needs a top-down renewal and change in their ways of dealing with their bad apples. No more sweeping under the carpet, transferring out to another community or province (reminds me of what the RC church did with their problem priests), or even promoting into a better job.

Poorly trained apples need remedial training and better supervision.
Bad apples need dismissal.
The really bad ones need jail time.

And yes, to quote 1000yards, "We need every good RCMP member we can get."

roper1
07-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Just glad he is going to recover.

We need every good RCMP member we can get.
We lose enough of them as it is to well paying jobs that they don't have to put their lives in danger for, let alone the freak occurrences where one is injured or killed in the line of duty.

Not even in the top ten most dangerous professions. Of course we might also be losing the odd one because they just don't like the way they see their employer operate.

brendan's dad
07-09-2014, 09:02 AM

Maybe a compromise can be reached for both sides

No more Moncton threads = No more High River threads

bigbadjoe108
07-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Not even in the top ten most dangerous professions. Of course we might also be losing the odd one because they just don't like the way they see their employer operate.

Maybe not in the traditional top ten most dangerous jobs, but probably one of the highest in the "Most likely to get verbal abuse, assaulted or murdered for just putting on my work stuff" lists.

AS bad as crabbing or heli-logging can be, no one wants to run around shooting them in the back.

sask
07-09-2014, 09:16 AM
You're right and of course to repeat your words "there is going to be some bad apples in each bunch and this would be somewhere in their upper echelon. Not all Mounties who are out in our communities (are) the bad ones."

We all understand there will always be some bad apples in policing, just as there are bad home builders and bad mechanics. That's reality.

The problem lies in that the RCMP have established a decades long institutional pattern of denial and cover-up. The upper echelons have been hiding their bad members' misdeeds and incompetence behind spin, lies, obfuscation, and in some cases have gone as far as perjury.

High River was and still is the perfect storm of this ingrained reluctance to be accountable or to tell the truth.

The RCMP needs a top-down renewal and change in their ways of dealing with their bad apples. No more sweeping under the carpet, transferring out to another community or province (reminds me of what the RC church did with their problem priests), or even promoting into a better job.

Poorly trained apples need remedial training and better supervision.
Bad apples need dismissal.
The really bad ones need jail time.

And yes, to quote 1000yards, "We need every good RCMP member we can get."

Lot of truth in this .

The Moncton tragedy was (along with Mayerthorpe) terrible, no words can cover it , impossible to try . I think the VAST majority , if not all , members here realize that and many tried to help in any small way they could.

High River is, again, a separate incident. When the RCMP , as an organization, quits blowing smoke up everyone's butt ...well most people would likely move along .

The attitude seems to be , and this is from the individual members, " lets just pretend it never happened" . That doesn't cut it , not sure why that is such a difficult concept

Hope the both members in Fort McMurray recover from this incident. People forget that when you have people, equipment and **** happening things won't always go as planned.

My opinions ....yours may be different and maybe correct :)

sask
07-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Maybe not in the traditional top ten most dangerous jobs, but probably one of the highest in the "Most likely to get verbal abuse, assaulted or murdered for just putting on my work stuff" lists.

Probably one of but not only

My wife has worked as a Registered Nurse for many years - you should ask her and her colleagues about verbal abuse and assault. And a friend of hers was murdered by a nut case while at work. Just sayin

Redfrog
07-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Maybe a compromise can be reached for both sides

No more Moncton threads = No more High River threads

Good idea. It works for ostriches , right?:thinking-006:

""Most likely to get verbal abuse, assaulted or murdered for just putting on my work stuff"

Yep right up there with dog catchers, meter maids, and scary circus clowns.:thinking-006:

We need good cops, we do not need the duds. Not many essential service jobs are all fun and games. That's why we try to get the best professionals we can. It's important work and Joe 6 pack takes the insult very seriously when one of these 'pros' disrespects their job, uniform, duty, employer and those who they are sworn to protect.

He also steps up to honour and respect those who do the job with dignity and honour.

bigbadjoe108
07-09-2014, 09:52 AM
"Most likely to get verbal abuse, assaulted or murdered for just putting on my work stuff"

Yep right up there with dog catchers, meter maids, and scary circus clowns.:thinking-006:

Not even sure what you were getting at with this comment. I was simply alluding to the fact that mortality and murder are somewhat different.

Any workplace death is a tragedy, I just think that getting murdered at work for simply working is over and above that as it is unpredictable. And somewhat unsettling as the assault/murder of a Law Enforcement Officer, first responder or military member is technically an assault on a representative of the Canadian citizenry.

I also stated "one of" as I know there are some other jobs out there (nursing, ems, dog catchers and meter maids, among others) that run the risk of insult, assault and murder....

Redfrog
07-09-2014, 10:01 AM
"I also stated "one of" as I know there are some other jobs out there (nursing, ems, dog catchers and meter maids, among others) that run the risk of insult, assault and murder...."

You did get it.:)

bigbadjoe108
07-09-2014, 10:05 AM
"I also stated "one of" as I know there are some other jobs out there (nursing, ems, dog catchers and meter maids, among others) that run the risk of insult, assault and murder...."

You did get it.:)

Gotcha, sometimes I find the intent somewhat hard to interpret through this medium...

3blade
07-09-2014, 11:42 AM

Be very careful who you make assumptions about.

And twofifty covered it. If the "bad apples" were held accountable, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But they're not. Remember the rest of that saying, where the whole bunch gets tainted. That's what has happened. The good ones, and there are many, are unable to toss out the bad ones for fear of repercussions. That has to change, I'm sure your wife would agree.

rugatika
07-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Brings up the question: "Is a good cop that protects a bad cop, still a good cop?"

elkhunter11
07-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Brings up the question: "Is a good cop that protects a bad cop, still a good cop?"

If an officer protects or covers up for an officer that breaks the law, or exceeds his authority, then no, he isn't a good cop.