PDA

View Full Version : Salt Spring Island

salmonfan
07-08-2014, 11:57 AM
I am heading to SSI - anyone fished here? I know the one lake sounds ok, just wondering if it's worth it to bring my gear. Thanks.

Northern Yaker
07-08-2014, 03:45 PM
St. Mary's and Cusheon lake are supposed to be spectacular for bass fishing. I know I'd bring my gear.
St. Mary's was listed as one of the top bass lakes in the west.

Wes_G
07-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Yep, if you have never caught smallies, I highly recommend it! Bring your gear!

salmonfan
07-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Yep, if you have never caught smallies, I highly recommend it! Bring your gear!

Excellent - I will for sure. I've never even fished for bass, but have seen a lot on TV. Any go-to lures I should bring???

Wes_G
07-10-2014, 07:22 PM
I have never fished that lake in particular. But my favorite small mouth lures are small crank baits. Usually white. But have also caught them on all sorts of spinner and buzz baits, small panther martin type spinners, jig and twister tails as well as on the fly rod. When are you heading out there? My brother in law will be there in a couple weeks to bass fish, I can let you know how he does and what worked best for him

lone wolf
07-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Never fished on the island, however no trip there would be complete without a stop at The Fishery which is a small seafood store in Ganges Harbour. Quality is outstanding and they also produce IMO the best canned salmon I have ever eaten. All salmon used in the cans are caught by the owner and hand packed with a little salt and water. I buy it by the case and have it shipped to Alberta.