PDA

View Full Version : Have a garage floor to paint

sourdough doug
07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
I have a new, thoroughly cured garage floor that I have to paint. It has only seen foot traffic, has been washed and rinse, however it is a fairly smooth finish and therefore am wondering if there is a paint out there, that I can use, without having to etch and do this all over again. It is a large garage, around 11-1200 sq. ft. Of course, it would be nice to use something that does not cost more than the garage. Infloor heat is place. thx:character0175:

Sundancefisher
07-08-2014, 01:10 PM
I have a new, thoroughly cured garage floor that I have to paint. It has only seen foot traffic, has been washed and rinse, however it is a fairly smooth finish and therefore am wondering if there is a paint out there, that I can use, without having to etch and do this all over again. It is a large garage, around 11-1200 sq. ft. Of course, it would be nice to use something that does not cost more than the garage. Infloor heat is place. thx:character0175:

We painted with a home depot product. Lots of peeling although the floor was used for 10 years prior to painting.

I would think an epoxy resin paint would be the bomb. There are some do it yourself products but I have to think a professional grade product would be best...especially with a warranty.

Our painted floor was also extremely slippery with a little snow on it. I know there are some products you paint and spread sand on top...then paint again for a textured look. I think the tires going over it will cause it to wear away so I would be careful where you applied it.

With infloor heat...it may affect the paint differently. Ours was not heated.

calgarychef
07-08-2014, 03:23 PM
It depends how much you want to pay, if your comfortable with 6/8 bucks per sq. foot you can get stuff that will last darned near forever. Pain won't and it must suck to get it all painted and have to pull everything out of the garage every couple of years to paint again.

257wbyhunter
07-08-2014, 03:38 PM
knew a guy who line x his whole garage floor not sure what it cost but that stuff is strong and looked really good

calgarychef
07-08-2014, 05:20 PM
You can go to costco and look at the floors in their washrooms that stuff is called "stonehard". And it's tough as heck.

plmnnkoqaz
07-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Go to a concrete place like Con-Spec here in Edmonton and they will hood you up with quality products for very reasonable prices, with much more colour selection. If the floor is smooth you will either have to grind or etch the surface so it has some tooth for the epoxy to grip to. You can rent a grinder very reasonably from a tool rental place. It I had a really smooth substrate, I would have just gone with the polished concrete route, but I've been pretty happy with epoxy base and clear coats. Cost about $400 for a 20x20.

ghostguy6
07-08-2014, 10:50 PM
You can go to costco and look at the floors in their washrooms that stuff is called "stonehard". And it's tough as heck.

Cant remember if that stuff has the aggregate in it or not. If it does it takes a true professional to properly apply it but will last a lifetime. If not its probably one of the "Stoncald" products.

I did a friends garage with the GS4 pewter grey 6 years ago and its still good as new. I'm planning on doing my garage with it as well once its completed.

Any of GS4 or HT4 can be applied in a day if you have some common sense. If your going to do long term storage of cars I would also suggest getting the sealer as well.

If you give Stoncor a call and ask for Mike or Bill they can help you pick the best product to suit your needs.

4403 82 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2L9
(780) 466-3333

Kim473
07-09-2014, 05:51 AM
When you do it, paint the outside 2 - 3 ft with one color and the center with a differant shade. Only where the cars have traffic will it peel and you will have a clearly marked line to redo in the center. Won't have to empty the complete garage for a redo. Wish I new what was used in the old shell station I worked at years ago.

Sledhead71
07-09-2014, 08:40 AM
When you do it, paint the outside 2 - 3 ft with one color and the center with a differant shade. Only where the cars have traffic will it peel and you will have a clearly marked line to redo in the center. Won't have to empty the complete garage for a redo. Wish I new what was used in the old shell station I worked at years ago.

Most of the floor paints will peel due to the heat from the tires when driving into the garage... I did my floor this past Christmas and used a heat resistant paint and couldn't be happier...

If you would like, drop me a PM and I can share some pictures and the product I went with.