PDA

View Full Version : Vote for the new Alberta license plate!

The Fisherman Guy
07-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Cool idea by the government to vote in the new Alberta license plate design.

Here are the three choices:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2918/14412539737_64405998ea.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3914/14412383729_20e9a4b396.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5562/14619044293_b59f5de57f.jpg

Vote for your choice here: Alberta License Plate Survey (http://alberta.ca/licence-plate-survey.cfm)

Okotokian
07-08-2014, 02:17 PM
THAT'S our choices? Blah. The middle one is least bad.

I vote for a politcal message. Kill "Wildrose Country". Nobody knows who Wild Rose is anyway. ;) How about something like "Live Free" (without the or die part). It captures our independent, conservative/libertarian/free entrprise outlook. Sends a message to other provinces (and hopefully reminds our own politicians).

And the government website address on the bottom of the plate? You kidding me? Have you gone to Aberta.ca??? Picture of hancock with his white beatle haircut. Christ.

NEWB
07-08-2014, 02:19 PM
I just read this article on CBC...

The new plate design is lame.

Why are we going away from the Province's Flower The Wild Rose?

Is there any mention of when we can have personalized plates that are 8 Characters? If you include the dash in the new plate system we can go 8 characters....

I'll hang on to my old plates as long as I can.

Redfrog
07-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Why do we need a new plate??

Too much money in the Provincial coffers now that we have a surplus? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. :sHa_shakeshout:
How can anyone evn say that without busting a gut laughing?

Okotokian
07-08-2014, 02:22 PM

Because a flower is lame. :) Put the Bull Trout on it!

jim summit
07-08-2014, 02:25 PM
So this means we have to buy new plates next spring?

Could be costly for the guys with large fleets.....

Oh, and "safer" too !

Kurt505
07-08-2014, 02:26 PM
Why do we need a new plate??

Too much money in the Provincial coffers now that we have a surplus? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. :sHa_shakeshout:
How can anyone evn say that without busting a gut laughing?

It's with the money they saved since giving redfraud the boot.

NEWB
07-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Because a flower is lame. :) Put the Bull Trout on it!

Lol.

The flower isn't that bad.

I would have no issues with a bull trout on there or some other animal. The new design for plates just rubs me the wrong way. I think that they are just to "busy" with designs. I like simple easy to read. I really do not feel like I should be advertising the Alberta website on my license plate when I am not getting paid to do it.

If Alberta wants to sponsor me to put the website on my plate then I am ok with that. I am not interested in paying to advertise for the province.

Quinn
07-08-2014, 02:31 PM
So this means we have to buy new plates next spring?

Could be costly for the guys with large fleets.....

No, they get phased in with new plates. At least I think that's how it goes.

Not the most ideal, but I think the realistic one is the worst. I think the top one is the best without the overly bolt wheat field on the bottom.

Redfrog
07-08-2014, 02:36 PM
They all stink. Where's the pipelines? Where's the derricks? Where's the tar pits? Where's the flooding? Where's the windpowered generators? Where's the stadium.

Those plates might as well be B.C. or Saskatchewan.

Okotokian
07-08-2014, 02:42 PM
They all stink. Where's the pipelines? Where's the derricks? Where's the tar pits? Where's the flooding? Where's the windpowered generators? Where's the stadium.

YES! They should be "Bitumen Black", and textured like tar... er, I mean oilsands.

Au revoir, Gopher
07-08-2014, 03:20 PM
YES! They should be "Bitumen Black", and textured like tar... er, I mean oilsands.

You forgot the duck feathers.

ARG

alacringa
07-08-2014, 03:24 PM
THAT'S our choices? Blah. The middle one is least bad....Put the Bull Trout on it!

Indeed. Or an Elk or something. If those are our choices, then stick with the current design. How much $$$ went into designing these, or did they just recruit grade 2 students to make them? Couldn't we be putting that money towards having smaller class sizes, or more doctors and nurses, or improved roads or something?

Redfrog
07-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Or getting rid of the prussian carp?

MaxxPower
07-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Bring back the yellow and black ones.:)

Bigdad013
07-08-2014, 04:05 PM

sask has mountains? i'm moving....:scared0018:

Tough crowd. Maybe should have a cell phone or computer, or both on it.

Bet more people use computers and cell phones than work in the oil industry. Just sayin. Why does it have to be work related? And what stadium?

mooseknuckle
07-08-2014, 04:05 PM

Agreed! 1955 was black with yellow letter. I think maybe white letters. But i like the old yellow ones.

coastalhunter
07-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Looking more Americanized....

roger
07-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Agreed! 1955 was black with yellow letter. I think maybe white letters. But i like the old yellow ones.

the black letter and gold background were previous to 1982-84ish maybe to 1974-75 i member them as that series and they came out with the personalized version with the one we have now.
1972ish was blue with white letters.

I don't care about new ones I just bought replacement personalized ones cause ive had them since they came out. the new plates are substantially thinner.

they kinda remind me of montanas plate ....mountains seem so ordinary I guess.
I would like to see an outline of a Albertosaurus or Edmontonasaurus skeleton depicted on it.

tchammer
07-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Once again the mountains are front and center, everything from calenders to license plates. Amazing how they only cover probably 10% of our land area in the province but you would think it was closer to 95% the way they are portrayed in everything Alberta. What is wrong with some hoodoos or some nice picturesque rolling hill country for a change. :)

Kurt505
07-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Once again the mountains are front and center, everything from calenders to license plates. Amazing how they only cover probably 10% of our land area in the province but you would think it was closer to 95% the way they are portrayed in everything Alberta. What is wrong with some hoodoos or some nice picturesque rolling hill country for a change. :)

Or muskeg...

roger
07-08-2014, 04:40 PM

totally with ya here...least it doesn't depict a cowboy on a horse silhouette.
it should portray a bee and a cow cause to more than half the worlds population...its the land of milk and honey or double doubles!! Salamat!

Scotty454
07-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Or muskeg...

:lol:

Smokey
07-08-2014, 04:46 PM
I like the pick one of three mountain images. Obviously they knew what they wanted and pretended to give a choice. Two are crap and ones not bad. However Ill be covering up the Alberta.ca, cause if they want to advertize they gotta pay for the right.

dumoulin
07-08-2014, 04:49 PM
I don't mind the design but it lacks "Alberta".... A derick, a wagon wheel, a sheep... Anyhow, I think it's a phenomenal waste of tax payers money. In an interview on 630 CHED I heard they would cost $5 more than the old one. Can you say CASH GRAB ???Again, aren't there more pressing issue in Alberta???

Grizzly Adams
07-08-2014, 04:58 PM
I see market potential for a license plate holder that reads WILD ROSE COUNTRY. :lol:

Grizz

Kurt505
07-08-2014, 05:00 PM
I see market potential for a license plate holder that reads WILD ROSE COUNTRY. :lol:

Grizz

If you want something that'll catch on, maybe "no longer home for the Redford government", I'd spend good money on that.

Spidey
07-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Wait, why haven't they put that that great tagline, "Freedom to create, spirit to achieve" on the plates?

That way, we'd have a fighting chance of remembering that damn slogan :rolleye2:

Spidey
07-08-2014, 05:39 PM

Grizz

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Seems a little suspect that they may be phasing out WILD ROSE COUNTRY on the plates along the same time lines as the next provincial election. I wonder if they think Albertans are too susceptible to potentially subliminal messaging.

hayseed
07-08-2014, 05:52 PM
What a waste of money and time!!!
Alberta.ca.......

Baaaahaaaaaahaaaaahaaaa!!!!!!

amosfella
07-08-2014, 05:55 PM
all of them suck.... hardcore... I'm not putting any of them on my car...

Weedy1
07-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Which one is least/more likely to be picked up by photo radar? Or better yet, was there any consideration in the design to be read easier by photo radar? Are we voting to screw ourselves more readily? Right now # 2 is in the lead. Black on white, great choice Alberta, you've chosen to have yourself screwed by the Gov't again!!!!! LMFAO

coolpete1
07-08-2014, 06:06 PM
thay should put redfords face on the plate, it would scare new comers away and ease some traffic problems.

jackrabbit000
07-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Anything is better than the one we have now. How long has it been around? 30 years? I'll vote for the 1st one.

Kurt505
07-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Which one is least/more likely to be picked up by photo radar? Or better yet, was there any consideration in the design to be read easier by photo radar? Are we voting to screw ourselves more readily? Right now # 2 is in the lead. Black on white, great choice Alberta, you've chosen to have yourself screwed by the Gov't again!!!!! LMFAO

They are made with a special paint to be more visible for photo radar, no joke.

jackrabbit000
07-08-2014, 06:29 PM

Yep , especially the middle plate with the white bar across the middle.

fish gunner
07-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Baws, licence plates have been reflective since JC rode a bike :snapoutofit: special all right.

CanuckShooter
07-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Wouldn't rainbow colors be the most appropriate?? :)

Ebrand
07-08-2014, 06:37 PM
They know Alberta is heading for Wildrose Country.

Or at least Anything that that is not Progressive Conservative.

It costs the same to register a vehicle whether or not you get a new plate.

I think they all suck.

Kurt505
07-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Baws, licence plates have been reflective since JC rode a bike :snapoutofit: special all right.

No way? License plates are reflective? I wasn't aware, but thanks for your informative post.

It was just on the 6 o'clock news "the new license plates will be made with a special paint to make them more visible at night and for photo radar". Maybe they weren't aware they were already reflective?

gman1978
07-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Where is one with mystical cowboys riding across native prairie chasing some feral horses swinging their ropes. Not like that image is overused to represent alberta or anything!!!!! Or cowboys in some fictitious breaking pen in the middle of the open prairie breaking a wild steed.

Maybe a plate some wheat or canola fields with a pump jack or two in the background. Or some jack pine and snow drifts!!!! More like it!!!

fish gunner
07-08-2014, 06:46 PM
No way? License plates are reflective? I wasn't aware, but thanks for your informative post.

It was just on the 6 o'clock news "the new license plates will be made with a special paint to make them more visible at night and for photo radar". Maybe they weren't aware they were already reflective?

So when did photo radar start in ab 15 yrs ago at best ??? So hardly special paint for fhoto radar eh !

fish gunner
07-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Where is one with mystical cowboys riding across native prairie chasing some feral horses swinging their ropes. Not like that image is overused to represent alberta or anything!!!!! Or cowboys in some fictitious breaking pen in the middle of the open prairie breaking a wild steed.

Maybe a plate some wheat or canola fields with a pump jack or two in the background. Or some jack pine and snow drifts!!!! More like it!!!

Applause lolol how abought natives on horses lol that be novel

Kurt505
07-08-2014, 06:51 PM
So when did photo radar start in ab 15 yrs ago at best ??? So hardly special paint for fhoto radar eh !

Hickory.....

fishinmatt
07-08-2014, 06:58 PM

MY thoughts as well.

Selkirk
07-08-2014, 07:02 PM
http://benelling.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/texas.jpg

:thinking-006: ... OK, maybe not :lol:

On a more serious note, I have two questions;
- How much is this unnecessary license plate change going to cost us (fees & tax dollars)?
- Where would that money be better spent?

For me, those are far more important questions to ask ... rather than, which new plate we should vote for. :rolleye2:

Mac

Kurt505
07-08-2014, 07:03 PM
http://benelling.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/texas.jpg

:thinking-006: ... OK, maybe not :lol:

On a more serious note, I have two questions;
- How much is this unnecessary license plate change going to cost us (fees & tax dollars)?
- Where would that money be better spent?

For me, those are far more important questions to ask ... rather than, which new plate we should vote for. :rolleye2:

Mac

Registration will be five dollars more next year

avb3
07-08-2014, 07:04 PM
I don't like any of them.

Where is "Wild Rose Country" on them?

Couldn't be political, ya think?

Kurt505
07-08-2014, 07:08 PM

They couldn't fit "Provincial Conservative Party Country" on the plate so they went with the next best thing.

79ford
07-08-2014, 07:24 PM
I like the red plates that way I know where all the bad drivers are when I am in provinces with corners in the roads lol

jackrabbit000
07-08-2014, 07:30 PM

They won't get my $5.00 next year. I always register for 2 years. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

waterninja
07-08-2014, 07:32 PM
I just read this article on CBC...

The new plate design is lame.

Is there any mention of when we can have personalized plates that are 8 Characters? If you include the dash in the new plate system we can go 8 characters....

I'll hang on to my old plates as long as I can.
the reason they are getting away from "wild rose country" is because of the wild rose political party. the ruling pc party doesent like the slogan helping their party.
what a waste of money.

Kurt505
07-08-2014, 07:32 PM
They won't get my $5.00 next year. I always register for 2 years. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I'm thinking of doing the same thing this week. Any idea what's the most years in advance a guy can do that?

rugatika
07-08-2014, 07:53 PM
How about one of a door being kicked in by the RCMP.

Selkirk
07-08-2014, 08:11 PM

True ^

More of our money wasted through increased taxation, via higher registration fees. And there's been no disclosure on how much of our 'regular' tax dollars will be involved as well. This is so 'typical' Alberta PC :mad3:

You can bet your bottom dollar, that this is the 'real' reason for the license plate change. The PCs are getting uber desperate, and they're showing it in almost all of their moves now ... including this one!

I can't wait for the next provincial election :angry3:

Mac

Dewey Cox
07-08-2014, 08:20 PM
I've always thought Alberta had the best looking licence plates. BC is not bad, ontario too.
I don't like that a guy can spend thousands to make his wheels look they way he wants, but has to put a picture on the back that he has no say in.
I don't like licence plates to draw your eye to them.
Our current plates are easy to read, have a very minor amount of flair, and don't take away from the look of the vehicle.

And as far as "wild rose country", I love it. This time of year we get roses growing wild, planted by god himself for our enjoyment. In the winter when I can't remember what a flower looks like, our licence plate slogan reminds me underneath all that miserable snow the beauty of our province is sitting there waiting for us till spring.

bobalong
07-08-2014, 08:21 PM
the reason they are getting away from "wild rose country" is because of the wild rose political party. the ruling pc party doesent like the slogan helping their party.
what a waste of money.

This is it 100%, a political move nothing else, another in a long list of wasted money trying to save a POS party, that just needs to go away.

claykuch
07-08-2014, 08:28 PM
The PCs want "Wild Rose Country" off the plate because it is too close to Wild Rose Party. :angry3:

6.5 shooter
07-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Best FREE advertising the Wild Rose Party could have ever asked for!

P.s. Keep the rose

6.5swedeforelk
07-08-2014, 08:51 PM

Alberta License Plate Survey (http://alberta.ca/licence-plate-survey.cfm)

What's the thinking behind #3...

Mountains to the west,

Chain link fence to the east to keep Saskatchewanites out?

How about a scenic shot centered on Jim Summit's cabin.

bison
07-08-2014, 08:58 PM
The PCs want "Wild Rose Country" off the plate because it is too close to Wild Rose Party. :angry3:My thoughts exactly.

Tundra Monkey
07-08-2014, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=Dewey Cox;2485279]I've always thought Alberta had the best looking licence plates. BC is not bad, ontario too. QUOTE]

I like our bears :happy0034:

How about a slogan like:

Alberta....One Step Closer To The NWT :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Wild&Free
07-08-2014, 09:51 PM
if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

graphic guy
07-08-2014, 10:03 PM
If wild rose country comes because of the Wild Rose Party then Alberta should come off because of the Alberta party. You must say it is a creative cash grab, the plate costs you more and you'll be advertizing for them and paying them for the "privilege". The Alberta.ca has to go

waterninja
07-09-2014, 12:16 AM
iv'e had a persanalised plate for about 25 yrs. does this mean i'll have to shell out an extra 200.00 for another, and will i still be able to get the same one?

Dacotensis
07-09-2014, 12:20 AM
What do you think overall production costs would be?
Where would they be made?
In Alberta?

I vote wild rose.

Selkirk
07-09-2014, 12:55 AM

Everything else considered, maybe that's ^ not a bad idea!

After all (whether we like it or not), it's now a deeply ingrained part of Alberta's history & legacy :mad3:

Mac

waterninja
07-09-2014, 12:58 AM
i akso wonder how this will affect the permanent plates that are on utility,boat and travel trailers?

Kurt505
07-09-2014, 01:00 AM
i akso wonder how this will affect the permanent plates that are on utility and travel trailers?

Your not going to have to change your plates, when you get new plates they will be the new style. Existing plates will remain the same.

Kim473
07-09-2014, 05:45 AM
Not only they are changing the pics but making them so that infired and other means can read them. Better for the photo radar, helecoptor, and parking cameras to read them and they can cash in on more ticket tax.

JohninAB
07-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Out of the three I like the middle one best. As for the Wildrose conspiracy theorists led by Danielle herself, bah humbug is all I will say. Would vote to keep the Wildrose on if it meant no more annoying phone calls from the Wildrose party looking for money.

bubba 96
07-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Not only they are changing the pics but making them so that infired and other means can read them. Better for the photo radar, helecoptor, and parking cameras to read them and they can cash in on more ticket tax.

And this is the main reason for the change, all the lost revenue from photo radar tics...

ETOWNCANUCK
07-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Notice how you only get to vote on the design(s) and not whether they should be replaced/ upgraded?

HuntingAlberta
07-09-2014, 08:48 AM
I've already sent my feelings to the Alberta.ca Facebook page and a direct letter to the government.

How about spending the millions of dollars wasted on this item towards Keeping sheep on the mountain? Restoring our Grizzly bear populations? putting children through school? lowering taxes?

Zulu9er
07-09-2014, 10:38 AM

With the Logo on the bottom that says
"We're Not Happy Till Your Not Happy"

fishnab
07-09-2014, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=Redfrog;2484964]Why do we need a new plate??

Too much money in the Provincial coffers now that we have a surplus?

Reason given on the radio this morning was to eliminate the over 120,000 illegally unregistered vehicles on the road.

Rod1960
07-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Alberta government insists no politics in removing Wild Rose Country from plates

A funny, funny game. It starts with a licence plate.

Alberta’s Progressive Conservative government want Albertans to have a new plate.

They say it will have a reflective coating on it so the plate is easier for the cops to see.

They offer three designs and say you can vote on the alberta.ca website for your choice until Aug. 19.

They do not offer you a vote on the slogan.

At the bottom of the plate you will see alberta.ca or some other government website address.

This is where the real laughs begin.

You see, the current slogan is Wild Rose Country. This is a problem.

If the province just got rid of that slogan and put in another slogan folks would start asking questions.

Why did you do that? Is it because the Wildrose party is looking to kick your butts out of power?

They don’t want to go there.

And they can’t have a vote on a slogan.

You see, six years back the PCs were going to change the licence plate.

They polled Albertans on what slogan they wanted.

Three out of four liked ... you guessed it ... Wild Rose Country.

You can’t very well have a vote now because Wild Rose Country would have to be a choice and could win again.

That would not do.

Also, six years ago, the provincial motto Strong and Free won in an online survey as the plate slogan.

The spineless in Toryland worried Albertans would think it sounded too American, though it is the Alberta motto and is in the national anthem.

The PCs want a licence plate. They don’t want a debate of slogans. They sure as hell don’t want Wild Rose Country. They’re not keen on Strong and Free.

However it goes, it doesn’t look pretty.

The Tory deep thinkers cook up a doozy of a brainwave.

They say they’re not getting rid of Wild Rose Country as a slogan. Oh no, not at all.

They’re getting rid of all slogans. Get it? It’s nothing personal, Wildrosers.

The PC government says it is just “a reflection of the times.”

They say a lot of places in North America are putting a website address on the bottom of the plate as an advertisement.

Like where?

Just look at trend-setting Maryland, they say. Not good enough. How about Nebraska?

What about Canadian provinces?

“P.E.I.’s got it,” says Doug Griffiths, the licence plate minister.

Lookee here. New P.E.I. plate is in the running for best on the continent.

Prince Edward Island. Birthplace of Confederation. Thanks Google.

By the way, B.C. will keep Beautiful British Columbia on their plate. They made that clear Tuesday. Saskatchewan has no plans to change Land of Living Skies.

“Not yet,” says Griffiths, adding B.C. and Saskatchewan are thinking of ditching their slogans.

Only problem. No one has told them yet.

Our American friends in Idaho? Famous Potatoes is not being bounced for a website address. Their answer to a website plate? No, no, no.

For the record, six years ago, two out of three Albertans said they didn’t want a website plate either.

So come on, Griffiths.

Isn’t this really about getting the Wild Rose name off the plate a year before the provincial election?

Griffiths says no way. Other jurisdictions in North America got rid of their slogans and they don’t care about the Wildrose.

Huh? Where do I start with that one? Did any of these other places have Wild Rose Country as their previous slogan and a Wildrose party as the main opposition to government?

Yikes.

In the end Griffiths says if a lot of people want a slogan the province might reconsider.

There’s no place to vote. You can e-mail the government. Good luck.

Your scribbler asks a political soul what the chances are of a licence plate slogan. When the Weather Channel forecasts Hell freezing over.

Griffiths also says the new licence plate will make money for the province.

The cost of the new plates is $15 million. Getting all the 165,000 unregistered vehicles to register with the new plate will make $12 million. So that equals ... Close enough.

The yearly vehicle registration fee will go up from $75 to $80.

By the way, if the plates don’t cost anything why did the province not change the plates in 2009 as planned? They said they couldn’t because it cost too much.

Details, details.

Wildrose leader Danielle Smith believes Albertans will see through the game.

Her colleague Rob Anderson can’t stop laughing.

“I don’t think there’s anyone in the province who doesn’t think this is political. Their excuses are borderline bonkers,” says Anderson.

“Is their next move to change the provincial flower from the Wild Rose to the dandelion because Timbuktu did it a couple years back?”

Don’t give them any ideas.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/08/alberta-government-insists-no-politics-in-removing-wild-rose-country-from-plates

"Alberta government insists no politics in removing Wild Rose Country from plates"

....uh huh.

LSLAKER
07-09-2014, 11:50 AM

There is Southern Alberta which is Calgary, there is Northern Alberta which is Edmonton and there is this Central Alberta which is between the two cities.

The geographic centre of Alberta is north of Edmonton.

A large percentage of Alberta is made up of Boreal Forests but never ever a mention of this fact because it always has to be Northern, Southern or Central Alberta that comes first and only.

Au revoir, Gopher
07-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Reason given on the radio this morning was to eliminate the over 120,000 illegally unregistered vehicles on the road.

Can anyone explain the logic of this? I just can't make a connection between having a new plate and people suddenly deciding to register their unregistered vehicles.

ARG

great white whaler
07-09-2014, 12:34 PM
NO ,,,,if its going to cost me 5 bucks,,,no

coreya3212
07-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Waste of money. And am I crazy or is it frustrating that there is such a thing as a license plate minister. JHC.

rugatika
07-09-2014, 01:39 PM
And here I thought we had reached the pinnacle in licence plate technology 50 years ago.

As long as Mud and Snow still stick to them, and there's a spot to put a Wild Rose Country sticker on them. :sHa_shakeshout:

Sashi
07-09-2014, 02:10 PM

Grizz

Your right on top of it as usual.:sHa_shakeshout:

greylynx
07-09-2014, 02:29 PM
If they are going to get rid of the slogan "Wildrose Country" why not change it to "Canada's Piggybank", or "Let Them Eat Cake" or "Go East Young Man".:)

Sooner
07-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Not a fan of the 3 choices, I also feel its 2 bad ones beside an ok one so we all chose the one they want. That's all the brain trust could come up with for this province? But who knows, it's the government, they will probably choose the ugliest one over the public's choice for some stupid reason.

jackrabbit000
07-09-2014, 04:07 PM
What's the thinking behind #3...

Mountains to the west,

Chain link fence to the east to keep Saskatchewanites out?

How about a scenic shot centered on Jim Summit's cabin.

Especially if they vote in plate #2.

tri777
07-09-2014, 04:21 PM

Here are the three choices:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2918/14412539737_64405998ea.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3914/14412383729_20e9a4b396.jpg

Vote for your choice here: Alberta License Plate Survey (http://alberta.ca/licence-plate-survey.cfm)

^^Good gwad&grief!!..this is all they come up with this generic garbage..almost looks as though this was brought forth by freely
handed out laptops/software from an elementary school.
How unscenic this 'effort' of manifestations!! WOnder if this was created by those whom made the new dollar bills?

doetracks
07-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Saw a new suggestion today:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d166/FlybabeYukon/10351397_10204534104339623_8001547155775903802_n1_ zps158e5f0d.jpg

Selkirk
07-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Your not going to have to change your plates, when you get new plates they will be the new style. Existing plates will remain the same.

If the article in the Calgary Herald today is accurate (and if I'm reading it correctly :)), we will 'all' have to change our plates next year, unless you bought a two year registration this year.

Actually, the article touches on a number of our concerns ... http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/politics/Albertans+vote+licence+plate+design/10012158/story.html

Keep the "Wild Rose Country" ... damn it! :mad0177:

Mac

greylynx
07-09-2014, 05:35 PM
If the article in the Calgary Herald today is accurate (and if I'm reading it correctly :)), we will 'all' have to change our plates next year, unless you bought a two year registration this year.

Actually, the article touches on a number of our concerns ... http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/politics/Albertans+vote+licence+plate+design/10012158/story.html

Keep the "Wild Rose Country" ... damn it! :mad0177:

Mac

If that is the case, the new slogan should be:

Bend over and..............like a pig.

Do I see another media train wreck ahead? It is about 50/50.

DiabeticKripple
07-09-2014, 06:21 PM
All this opposition to the slogan advertising the PC govt website, but if the Wildrose get in, wouldn't it be advertising their site?

Unregistered user
07-09-2014, 06:32 PM
^Sure is a kick in the hubcaps for them.

trooper
07-09-2014, 06:32 PM
How about quit wasting taxpayers money and leave the plates alone:argue2:!!

dcampbster
07-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Their latest stunt, changing our license plates and removing the iconic Wild Rose Country motto will cost taxpayers $15 million dollars. This isn’t just petty politics – it’s a desperate attempt to change the channel from their scandals and failures.

Alberta doesn't need a new license plate. It needs a new government.

hal53
07-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Griffiths is a moron......

greylynx
07-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Their latest stunt, changing our license plates and removing the iconic Wild Rose Country motto will cost taxpayers $15 million dollars. This isn’t just petty politics – it’s a desperate attempt to change the channel from their scandals and failures.

Alberta doesn't need a new license plate. It needs a new government.

Petty politics is what got Redford in trouble.

This licence plate fiasco is another disaster that will irritate the Alberta voter even more.

The cost of living in Alberta has increased so much for the average Albertan that this kick in the butt licence increase will get the voter even more irritated.

It seems the ATA has won over Johnson's attempt to smoke out the bad teachers. This licence business must be the next dog and pony show the PCs have brought out for the stupid sheeple masses.

And it might work.

How will the Edmonton Journal and QR77 Dave Taylor explain this one away?

I know. It is just a little five dollar increase....business as usual...Redford style.

Five dollars here, Ten dollars there, everyone in Alberta is a millionaire says the PC party.

WhistlePig
07-09-2014, 09:50 PM
I say we keep our current plates!

Option # 1 at least doesn't make it look like we can't afford the ink to cover the whole license plate.
I'm sure I can find/make a nice wild rose sticker to cover the alberta.ca
Does the extra $5 cover the gps tracker imbedded in the plate also....?

So if our "choice" is cake or death. Which would you choose?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZVjKlBCvhg

YoteStopper
07-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Of the three "options", #1 is the best IMO. The Alberta.ca has to go though, as that is just pathetic. What was wrong with Wild Rose Country anyway? The second feature that needs adjusting is the "Alberta" on the upper half, get rid of that Redford font and put some block letters there instead. Seriously, it looks like she wrote it.

bb356
07-09-2014, 11:46 PM
I've always thought Alberta had the best looking licence plates. BC is not bad, ontario too.
I don't like that a guy can spend thousands to make his wheels look they way he wants, but has to put a picture on the back that he has no say in.
I don't like licence plates to draw your eye to them.
Our current plates are easy to read, have a very minor amount of flair, and don't take away from the look of the vehicle.

And as far as "wild rose country", I love it. This time of year we get roses growing wild, planted by god himself for our enjoyment. In the winter when I can't remember what a flower looks like, our licence plate slogan reminds me underneath all that miserable snow the beauty of our province is sitting there waiting for us till spring.

:)

GPBuzz
07-10-2014, 12:20 AM
I think the plates should read Home of the biggest whiners.

Four pages of whining, really!!!

It is about time we change, doesn't anybody remember plate changes were regular occurrence.
People complaining that they have a better chance of being caught speeding, going through red lights. well don't do it and you will not get fined.

Previous to this post I read how everyone was upset with the Diesel smoke show on the cyclists yet you complain that you may have a better chance of getting caught during an infraction.

I like the first one.

BANG
07-10-2014, 12:57 AM
I think the plates should read Home of the biggest whiners.

Four pages of whining, really!!!

It is about time we change, doesn't anybody remember plate changes were regular occurrence.
People complaining that they have a better chance of being caught speeding, going through red lights. well don't do it and you will not get fined.

Previous to this post I read how everyone was upset with the Diesel smoke show on the cyclists yet you complain that you may have a better chance of getting caught during an infraction.

I like the first one.

Realy? You think this is a wise investment of at least 15 mill.
Mind blowing to say the least.
I know cancer patients who would beg to differ.but enjoy your new plate.

On a side note:They should plate the vehicle for life and be done with it rather then bending us over every year.

Dewey Cox
07-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Does anyone know if the veterans can keep their plates?

GPBuzz
07-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Realy? You think this is a wise investment of at least 15 mill.
Mind blowing to say the least.
I know cancer patients who would beg to differ.but enjoy your new plate.

On a side note:They should plate the vehicle for life and be done with it rather then bending us over every year.

http://www.cbc.ca/edmonton/interactive/budget-2014/
You would be surprised at what we spend tax money for. Do you know how much we could spend on cancer studies if we started charging for health care again. Your example could open a huge can of worms if you like.

Okotokian
07-10-2014, 11:06 AM
what a waste of money.

it's all politics. Remember years ago when the PC's first got in and changed the plate colors to PC blue and orange, same color as the party campaign signs? ;)

Rod1960
07-10-2014, 11:31 AM
it's all politics. Remember years ago when the PC's first got in and changed the plate colors to PC blue and orange, same color as the party campaign signs? ;)

This one?

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/sigp226rfan/alta73-74_72dpi_zps269abb69.jpg

6.5 shooter
07-10-2014, 11:33 AM
IDVFH

and spending 15 MILLION of my tax dollars will not change my mind!

Chuck_Wagon
07-10-2014, 11:36 AM
send an email to “newplate@gov.ab.ca” and tell them to drop their petty politics with the use of that BS Alberta.ca and put wildrose country back on.

Rod1960
07-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Whatever became of this? Has anyone ever seen one?

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/sigp226rfan/20131109-164924-g_zps89141502.jpg

Alberta launches Support Our Troops license plates

stephanie.froese Nov 9, 2013 02:33:38 PM

Just in time for Remembrance Day, a new line of Alberta license plates have been announced.

Manmeet Bhullar, Minister of Service Alberta, says the new plates feature a yellow ribbon, much like the veteran plates we see now with the red poppy.

“We’ve introduced a Support Your Troops license plate that Albertans will be able to get and part of the proceeds going to various initiatives to support our troops,” says Bhullar.

Unlike the veterans’ plates already in circulation, these plates are available to any Albertan for $150.

The cost includes regular registration fees, production and delivery and will be available to order early next year.

Profits beyond cost will go to members of the forces and their families in Alberta through the Support Our Troops Campaign.

http://www.660news.com/2013/11/09/albert-launches-support-our-troops-licence-plates/

Dewey Cox
07-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Whatever became of this? Has anyone ever seen one?

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/sigp226rfan/20131109-164924-g_zps89141502.jpg

If the new plate designs were black and white like this one, I think they would look a lot better.

Chuck_Wagon
07-10-2014, 02:38 PM

It’s the standard operating procedure of Government to gouge taxpayers for every nickel they can so they can buy us with our own money during elections.

You guys all realize that your registration fee includes the cost of a new plate regardless if you take a new one or not every year.

OpenRange
07-10-2014, 03:00 PM
I think #1 is the best one. Everyone from the Highway 2 corridor west will be voting for the #2 choice because it's the view they relate to, better get used to it. It's a shame, I think they are both great but it's about showcasing as much "Alberta" as possible, that can only be achieved by #1 realistically.

Full Curl Earl
07-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Did someone actually write "Iconic Wild Rose"? Lol
The Rockies are Iconic, not that weed.
I'm surprised at the complaining, I would rather spend 15 million on this than feeding rapists. Lol

ALBTUFF
07-10-2014, 05:39 PM
I could go with this on the back of my truck :)

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/albpointer/10402761_10153017865288135_7590827325283813573_n_z psba7ae8a5.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/albpointer/media/10402761_10153017865288135_7590827325283813573_n_z psba7ae8a5.jpg.html)

jackrabbit000
08-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Wow, I can't believe #2 is still ahead. That white bar is dumb. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

RayM77
08-01-2014, 08:09 PM
They should do a cut out of Alberta's provincial animal the big horn sheep. Like NWT does with the polar bear.

Jimboy
08-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Changeing the plate is just a cover up while in fact its a decoy so they can put a smart chip invisably imbeded in the metal , then the cops can scan your plate with their special scanner gun and walla , up comes all your personal data you have to give out at the registry.
Cops dont even have to stop you.

hal53
08-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Changeing the plate is just a cover up while in fact its a decoy so they can put a smart chip invisably imbeded in the metal , then the cops can scan your plate with their special scanner gun and walla , up comes all your personal data you have to give out at the registry.
walla????.............

BeeGuy
08-02-2014, 01:37 PM

You got it!

Google already knows what you are thinking.

Your phone "provider" knows where you are.

With this technology, the government will be able to track us wherever we go.

Put a scanner at major intersections and they can save all that data for eternity because it is so cheap.

They will not have to ask where we were at a certain date and time, because they will already know.

Not to mentioned the windfall of revenue.

Just another scheme by big brother.

The implications of this and many other technologies is really horrifying, but of course, we just argue about which plate design is the best.

When I get my electronic tracking collar, I want the one embedded with rhinestones.

Bling!

densa44
08-02-2014, 03:18 PM
How about giving people a choice of some of the following:

Don't blame me .. I didn't vote for them

Remember Redford

Anybody but the PC's

None of the above

Another 44 years!

Where did all the money go?

You get the idea, let the voters chose from a list as long as it's not rude.

Selkirk
08-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Two more ideas :lol: . . .

https://i.embed.ly/1/display/resize?key=1e6a1a1efdb011df84894040444cdc60&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FBsINVm4CU AA0uLO.png
http://www.montrealgazette.com/cms/binary/10012292.jpg?size=620x400s

Actually, instead of a *&^%$#@ new license plate, what this province 'really' needs is a provincial election!

Can't wait! :angry3:

Mac

ali#1
08-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Seen a new one today at Canadian tire.

PwrEng
08-02-2014, 09:28 PM
I have yet to see one, either way I don't know what all the fuss is about, its only a plate.