PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas coming to Calgary

bergman
07-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Like the title says, will be going in near Deerfoot Mall.
Sounds like it will have the taxidermy to rival Bass Pro!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Giant+outdoor+retailer+Cabela+coming+Calgary/10011732/story.html

reelhooker
07-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Too bad it's not going on the south side

Roughneck71
07-08-2014, 04:58 PM
cant wait and close too home!
Darrell

Grizzly Adams
07-08-2014, 05:02 PM
A little competition with Bass Pro can't hurt us consumers. North side, easy to access, I like.

Grizz

Selkirk
07-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Like the title says, will be going in near Deerfoot Mall.
Sounds like it will have the taxidermy to rival Bass Pro!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Giant+outdoor+retailer+Cabela+coming+Calgary/10011732/story.html

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Calgary's Wholesale Sports has 'removed' all their taxidermy :(

Anyone know why?

Mac

amosfella
07-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Calgary's Wholesale Sports has 'removed' all their taxidermy :(

Anyone know why?

Mac

Maybe they sold it to Cabelas.... lol

amosfella
07-08-2014, 05:48 PM
I like the idea of more sporting goods stores... however, more south would be easier for me to access...

Scotty454
07-08-2014, 06:35 PM
I like the idea of more sporting goods stores... however, more south would be easier for me to access...

Same for me... Seems like Bass Pro would be their direct competition, wonder why they're putting it on the north side... Too close?

NSDucknut
07-08-2014, 06:38 PM

Anyone know why?

Mac

Couple weeks back they had put a whole whack of it back up

north american hunter
07-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Heck yeah!! And they took it down because apperently they mounts were offending people who were shoppin in the store, people were complaining.

Scotty454
07-08-2014, 06:59 PM
:scared0015:Heck yeah!! And they took it down because apperently they mounts were offending people who were shoppin in the store, people were complaining.

...what :scared0015:

Masterchief
07-08-2014, 08:46 PM
what a crappy location:mad3:

chadyaz
07-08-2014, 09:30 PM
I like the location. Right off Deerfoot and not in Deerfoot Meadows where its already too congested.

CaberTosser
07-08-2014, 09:49 PM
I agree that the location sucks, but I think its largely cost driven; I'm sure they got a much better price on the land at Deerfoot Mall than they would have at Deerfoot Meadows (picture the bare lot immediately east of Superstore). The traffic at Deerfoot Mall sucks for certain, I think that a more southerly location would serve them well, but that they'd pay for it.

coreya3212
07-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Why would they ever put it in the south. They are trying to get in between most of Calgary and bass pro.

stc77
07-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Heck yeah!! And they took it down because apperently they mounts were offending people who were shoppin in the store, people were complaining.

Was just in there on Saturday. They have a bunch of mounts up again. I saw a threads while back from management saying they just took them down to freshen up the store and provide more regional specific mounts. Go check it out. Mounts are back up. Store looks really nice. Just renovated.

Deemoss
07-08-2014, 10:43 PM
I wish it was a Canadian company... Too bad:angry3:

Selkirk
07-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Why would they ever put it in the south. They are trying to get in between most of Calgary and bass pro.

And there ^ you have it, folks!

In addition, for 75+% of the Calgary area, Wholesale Sports (and soon Cabelas) is much closer and faster to get to.

I'm guessing Bass Pro made a strategic mistake when they located way up in the Balzac area. Time will tell, but the writing may be in the wall.

Mac

covey ridge
07-08-2014, 11:11 PM

Anyone know why?

Mac

Actually they did not remove all of their taxidermy. Most of it was removed and returned to the previous store owner. Some of the mounts are on their way back to the original owners. WSS management did respond and gave their reasons but for the most part many would have no part of the explanation and the mods deleted the thread and deleted another that the OP started when the first was deleted.

Since then WSS has installed a few mounts that were donated from another source. Really nice, including one 7 point elk.:)

Shortly after the mounts were removed I had a chance to speak to a few of the store cashiers who also answer phones. I guess for a few days after the mounts were noticed missing there was a constant barrage of angry customers who mostly yelled and cursed the cashiers for a decision made by management. :(

Sorry for the derail. I am glad that there is another store coming to our area.

Scotty454
07-08-2014, 11:22 PM

Get outa here with that damn logic...:scared0018:

(that makes a ton of sense, haha)

burbotman
07-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Great news for us in calgary and those in the south

Rumtan
07-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Can you tell Bass Pro Shop that we would love to have one up Edmonton way. Thats all we are missing now and its such a favorite with the wife.

PFKGSP
07-09-2014, 11:44 AM
It will pick up more of the hwy 2 traffic and red Deer area as well as Stoney Trail. Probably a great location when you get right down to it.

Did I mention I live in Airdrie?:sHa_shakeshout:

greylynx
07-09-2014, 12:22 PM
And if Cabalas does not have what you want at the Currents of Winderemere store head east over the Henday, turn south at the Calgary Trail, and drive right through to the Deerfoot.

You might want to stop at WSS at South Common before heading south.:sHa_shakeshout:

And if your going to the Deerfoot location, take Fluffy the flower garden pooper in the Havahart cage to drop off at the Calgary SPCA.:sHa_shakeshout:

Ruger1022
07-09-2014, 12:25 PM
More comments
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=218838&highlight=Cabelas+calgary

AbAngler
07-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Very cool. Add to that, the Domes replacement going up by Cross Iron... Oops, wasn't supposed to say anything. :scared0018: