PDA

View Full Version : new fishing store for calgary

the local angler
07-08-2014, 06:34 PM
cabelas to open at deerfoot mall calgary sweet
http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Giant+outdoor+retailer+Cabela+coming+Calgary/10011732/story.html

Kingfisher
07-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Interesting story. Caballas is certainly competition for Bass Pro shop. I have been to the store in Edmonton and found it to be almost a cookie cutter experience to Bass Pro.

A few different items. But for the most part it's the same.

CALGARY - American retailer, Cabela’s Incorporated, a global outfitter of hunting, fishing and outdoor gear, has announced plans to open its first store in Calgary by the fall of 2015.

Construction on the store, a 70,000-square-foot location adjacent to the Deerfoot Mall near the intersection of Deerfoot Trail and 64th Avenue N.E., is scheduled to begin later this year.

huntsfurfish
07-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Yahoo, another toy store.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::):):)

the local angler
07-08-2014, 08:04 PM
yeah the one thing i like is this one would be 5 mins from my house and not a 15min drive to balzac or 3.5 hours to edmonton to see cabellas. i do agree with the cookie cutter thing but i do find they have some stuff thats unique to their store and like my buddy say hopefully they will carry a better selection for saltwater gear for the west coast.

gramps73
07-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Sure lots of building going on right now, not sure if it is Cabela's or not...
Great location leave the house and go right to Cabela's or left Bass Pro...
What's a guy to do....

gnugen
07-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Was at the Grand Opening of the North Edmonton Store. Between the sniff of a Bass Pro near Edmonton airport and a Calgary Cabela's there is a battle going on between these giants. Gonna be interesting to see how TFH and Wholesale do in 5 years.

spoons
07-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Was at the Grand Opening of the North Edmonton Store. Between the sniff of a Bass Pro near Edmonton airport and a Calgary Cabela's there is a battle going on between these giants. Gonna be interesting to see how TFH and Wholesale do in 5 years.

TFH and Wholesale will be fine. Those 2 are the places to shop for fishing gear in my opinion. The other one is way overrated

gnugen
07-09-2014, 09:51 AM
I hear ya! TFH has most dialed in selections, like a good craft beer store vs. mass booze-mart.

duckmasterson
07-09-2014, 10:02 AM
I wonder when they start hiring staff for the gun counter if experience and knowledge will be more of an issue than cheap labour?

binnzer32
07-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Cabelas is crap.. notHing decent for fishing stock. Crappy sales and terrible un-knowledable staff.

gramps73
07-09-2014, 02:28 PM
I think it will be a welcome addition to the Calgary market place but it will not replace TFH at all...unless the hire that guy. He knows his stuff...

Walleyedude
07-09-2014, 03:19 PM
I think it will be a welcome addition to the Calgary market place but it will not replace TFH at all.

X2.

drifter
07-09-2014, 04:53 PM
They all get my business because each store has something for me.

Bad thing is, I have to increase the fishing budget. Or is that a good thing.

I'll ask the wife and get back to ya. :scared0018:

blackmamba
07-09-2014, 04:58 PM
TFH is definately top notch for fishing gear, BPS is a giant walmart and doesnt really offer the best in gear imo .. Wss just sucks now..

whitetail Junkie
07-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Awesome!....cant wait to see there fine gun room & store.

the local angler
07-09-2014, 11:59 PM
i personally welcome all sporting good stores which is a funny thing but i heard that WSS calgary was rumored to be taken over by another US sporting goods franchise. not sure if this is just talk or not.

Gslice
07-10-2014, 12:03 AM
apparently they dont have buzz bombs in BPS :scared0018:

Fishhunter
07-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Why don't they put one in red deer?

greylynx
07-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Cabelas is crap.. notHing decent for fishing stock. Crappy sales and terrible un-knowledable staff.

Norm (the bald gentleman) at the south Edmonton Cabalas store is one of the most knowledgable fly fishing people I know.

And no they do not sell Sage and Sage and Orvis.

But they do sell Hardy, Petitlean, Winston et al.

That adds variety to the market place.

Okotokian
07-10-2014, 10:33 AM
It won't change the world, but it's good news. Unfortunately it will make my life more complicated because I'm the type of guy who likes to shop around and compare what is available, so it's just one more store I'll have to go to when I want to buy something. :)

Pikebreath
07-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Norm (the bald gentleman) at the south Edmonton Cabalas store is one of the most knowledgable fly fishing people I know.

And no they do not sell Sage and Sage and Orvis.

But they do sell Hardy, Petitlean, Winston et al.

That adds variety to the market place.

That's probably the first time anyone has called Norm a "gentleman"