PDA

View Full Version : Hope this Owl Does Fine

the11fisherman
07-08-2014, 09:23 PM
I found this baby owl the other day while doing some work around town. I only had a cheap flip camera on me. So once I zoomed in all the way it is a little blurry, but I didn't want to get close to it in case if mamma or papa came back and because you just shouldn't get close to baby wild animals due to possible legal issues. Sure enough after I took the video and was about to phone Birds of Prey, the parents came back with a meal, so I am hoping that they take care of it and protect it until it flies by itself.

Here is the quick video of not the greatest quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xThM2ig-KVM
Sure hope he does alright.

Red Bullets
07-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Nice clip. Beautiful bird.

The parent owls should take care of it. Looks like another 2-3 weeks .

Interesting note from the nature conservancy....

"Great Horned owls start nesting in January, raising their families in the dead of winter. The female will incubate the eggs while her mate brings her food. Within a month, up to five eggs will hatch and the owlets will be closely guarded by their parents. Six weeks after hatching, the owlets will leave the nest and walk around. In another three weeks, the young owls with already have learned to fly. The parents will continue to feed and care for their offspring for several months, often as late as October. It is wise to stay away from young owls and their nests as Great Horned Owls are not afraid to attack if they feel their family is threatened. "

Selkirk
07-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Well put, Red :happy0034:

Your post applies to most wildlife encounters of young ones ... keep a good healthy distance (for their sake and yours), and let the parents take care of things (whether you can see them, or not).

Mac

the11fisherman
07-09-2014, 07:20 AM

"Great Horned owls start nesting in January, raising their families in the dead of winter. The female will incubate the eggs while her mate brings her food. Within a month, up to five eggs will hatch and the owlets will be closely guarded by their parents. Six weeks after hatching, the owlets will leave the nest and walk around. In another three weeks, the young owls with already have learned to fly. The parents will continue to feed and care for their offspring for several months, often as late as October. It is wise to stay away from young owls and their nests as Great Horned Owls are not afraid to attack if they feel their family is threatened. "

I didn't realize that Great Horned owls were that slow to get on with their own life by themselves. Thanks for that info bit. Just learned something that I did not realize with great horned owls. So this one should be able to fly then, but might just be too lazy to go back to the nest then?

Grizzly Adams
07-09-2014, 03:59 PM

I thought the same, but I've seen some late starters, talking April here. :confused:

Grizz