PDA

View Full Version : Going to the sun road

pat84
07-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Has anyone been on the Going to the sun road this year? I seen it just opened not too long ago. Taking off on the bike tomorrow and thats the direction I'm heading. Just wondering about construction and anything else I should know about.

solocam3
07-08-2014, 10:55 PM
That run down to Kalispell used to be done on the June Long weekend when it was supposed to open. One year it was closed on the way down but open on the way back. It was intersting avoiding the snowblowers. Several times the snow was way above the bikes on both sides of the road, if there were two ditches!

elkhunter11
07-09-2014, 06:03 AM
I haven't been on it this year, but I recommend that you get on it as early in the day as possible, to avoid the heavy traffic that is often present.

BBT
07-09-2014, 06:10 AM
Looks fully open.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/roadstatus/roadstatus.cfm

pat84
07-11-2014, 12:55 AM
It's open. About 9 miles of construction on it. Traffic was slow moving. Had a good time regardless. Also took a helicopter tour around the park. It was awesome! Really worth it. I did the half hour trip. The pilot was super. He pretty much talked for the whole half hour and told us lots of info about what we were looking at.