PDA

View Full Version : sleep apnea and these air flow machines

Eddy62
07-09-2014, 06:36 AM
went to a clinic yesterday and brought home a testing machine to determine my sleeping patterns i can honestly say i havent had a good nights sleep for a couple years i will find out in a week my results , i know they are going to want me to use one off these machines that give me proper air flow for when i am sleeping . my wife says sometimes it sounds like i am not breathing or i am snoring quite loudly.

i asked at the clinic what the cost is and she stated 2400.00 for the unit.... wow... if any one has any info if i can buy a used one ? or any info to help me out i would sure appreciate it as i no nothing about this subject and i am sure i am not the only one that has this medical problem

thanks so much ed:)

pikergolf
07-09-2014, 07:09 AM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=107649&highlight=sleep+apnea

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=207380&highlight=sleep+apnea

chadyaz
07-09-2014, 08:03 AM
went to a clinic yesterday and brought home a testing machine to determine my sleeping patterns i can honestly say i havent had a good nights sleep for a couple years i will find out in a week my results , i know they are going to want me to use one off these machines that give me proper air flow for when i am sleeping . my wife says sometimes it sounds like i am not breathing or i am snoring quite loudly.

i asked at the clinic what the cost is and she stated 2400.00 for the unit.... wow... if any one has any info if i can buy a used one ? or any info to help me out i would sure appreciate it as i no nothing about this subject and i am sure i am not the only one that has this medical problem

Don't be so sure that you have sleep apnea. I was 95% sure I had it, then I did the same test as you, and the results came back negative.

elkhunter1234
07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
If you don't have benefits through work you can look at getting it out of the states. (Cpap.com) is a good place, 1/2 the price as of up here, they just need your prescription and your good to go. I have benefits through work so I get mine up here but know of others that buy down south. I love mine, best 2500 bucks I ever spent

Jim..

Deb
07-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Sometimes, the respiratory equipment providers have reconditioned machines that you can purchase at a substantial discount. They carry the same warranty. Couldn't hurt to ask.

SBE2
07-09-2014, 11:33 AM
I would strongly suggest having the sleep study/test done at an actual sleep clinic rather than just taking a machine home to self test. Far more thorough, full time monitoring by a sleep expert through the night. Likely have to see if it's covered through your work or call a clinic directly for guidance, you may need a Dr's referral. Good luck, if you have apnea the machine will make a huge difference and you will feel a lot better, read up on the existing threads that are one here already. There's lots of good info and experiences.

silverdoctor
07-09-2014, 11:42 AM
I go through bouts of something, don't know what it is but just not sleeping great. Thought it may be apnea as well but it wasn't. I dont even snore.

May sound weird, but I set up a wireless IP night vision cam set for motion for a week straight in the bedroom. I used to have a sleepwalking problem, thought maybe it was coming back. Aside from sitting up in bed at small noises and looking around periodically, nothing. I don't remember doing it, but maybe it's enough. It's weird watching yourself sleep.

Slash8
07-09-2014, 12:26 PM
I did the same test. I was in respiratory distress up to 26 times an hour or roughly every two minutes. They said I was always on the edge of going into REM sleep but never really got there so I was chronically fatigued for at least 7 to 8 years. I knew my sleep habits were becoming a problem when I stopped for a train at a crossing on a rural road and what seem like only a few seconds must have been several minutes because a guy was knocking on my side window asking if I was ok. I had fallen asleep behind the wheel. I have no idea how long I was there and the train was long gone. It scared the hell out of me because I had often done the head nod while driving home from work. I got the apnea machine and within 3 days felt a world of difference. Everything from the time I started using the device till now has gotten better. I have incredible sleeps now. A long full sleep that lasts all night. I feel rested, Im more alert, my memory is better, I'm less moody, more energy and I don't get up 2 or 3 times a night to take a leak and my wife doesn't complain about sleeping next to a chain saw. If it is sleep apnea you have get the machine. Your quality of life will improve. It took me about two full weeks to get used to the machine but its worth it. Good luck.

bat119
07-09-2014, 12:30 PM
The take home units are just a fly by night outfit trying to sell you a unit you might not need.

My wife went to one of these came home with an estimate of $2500 we booked her in for an overnight clinic and found she didn't need one.

I have one of these for the lake and camping

http://canadacpapsupply.com/cpap-bipap-machines/auto-cpap-machines/devilbiss-intellipap-auto-cpap-with-smartflex-humidifier-and-software.html

1/4 the price and does the same as my Resmed S9

rugatika
07-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Had a friend in Sask that reported to his doc that he was having trouble getting used to his CPAP machine as prescribed and his doc was going to report him to the gov't to get his drivers licence pulled. It took quite a bit of freaking out to convince the doc otherwise.

I've heard the autoset machines automatically adjust to your needed pressure thus avoiding getting all tangled up in the government system of dogooders and nanny's.

birdee
07-09-2014, 07:51 PM
The take home units are just a fly by night outfit trying to sell you a unit you might not need.

My wife went to one of these came home with an estimate of $2500 we booked her in for an overnight clinic and found she didn't need one.

I have one of these for the lake and camping

http://canadacpapsupply.com/cpap-bipap-machines/auto-cpap-machines/devilbiss-intellipap-auto-cpap-with-smartflex-humidifier-and-software.html

1/4 the price and does the same as my Resmed S9

x2 on thishad the one you took home and said i needed it. tried for almost a monthe with the automatic one but couldn't get the right fitting mask.so they recomended the sleep clinic for a ll night stay. I was very mild and on the low side of apnea. lower than 90% of the population.Soon everyone will need one.Not for me ,got worse sleeps.

petew
07-09-2014, 07:54 PM
The price is negotiable. :)

Smokey
07-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Did my sleep test at home with a machine, I got a A+:sHa_shakeshout:

Did my test in Spruce Grove, was 2100 with machine, wifes benifits covered 90 percent.

Went from sleeping 10-11 hours to 5.5 to 7 overnight.

I call it it my coma in a box, once Im buckled in, Im off to never never land, and a 747 could land on my house and I would not notice.

Smokey
07-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Also if it takes a year for the test, shop around. I was in, in 2 weeks. Had a day with the machine passed like Iike I said, had my machine right away. When I hear people waiting like a months for the test, I feel bad. It can be done in less time.

huntsfurfish
07-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Don't be so sure that you have sleep apnea. I was 95% sure I had it, then I did the same test as you, and the results came back negative.

Been tested twice and both times negative.

Try Breath Right nasal strips. They really do work! Awesome:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Sleep better now that I can breathe.

mooseburger
07-10-2014, 04:08 AM

if it's a west end clinic you went to... Run as fast as you can from it... they will put you in the poor house eith their pricing.. buy out of Ontario, half price for the same machine.. by the way most of these people in their white smocks are Intihalation Therapist with no great amount of training, that would justify their pricing. just my two cents. MB

Eddy62
07-10-2014, 06:47 AM
thanks everyone for the feed back, i got in quickly as when i was at my doctors i suggested sleeping pills and my doctor does not like to prescribe anything so from his referral i was at a clinic 3 days later for an assessment just waiting now for results . if this machine is required for myself i am for sure looking at different options on buying as i think its alot off money. thanks again for the great advise and all the input.

FishingMOM
07-10-2014, 07:42 AM
if it's a west end clinic you went to... Run as fast as you can from it... they will put you in the poor house eith their pricing.. buy out of Ontario, half price for the same machine.. by the way most of these people in their white smocks are Intihalation Therapist with no great amount of training, that would justify their pricing. just my two cents. MB

Hey Moose,

glad your happy you talked to the girls in ontario.

it was a pleasure talking with you when you were figuring it all out.

Jen

Mackinaw
07-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Before you put huge amounts of money out for something you may not need check other reasons for your lack of sleep. Diet, pressure or anxiety at home or work, even your bed its self. One of the biggest causes of apnea is weight two thirds of the people with apnea are over weight .......good luck

Mack

javlin101
07-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Get checked because if you have sleep apnea it is a health risk and can be dangerous to you life. I got mine 10 years ago and before being diagnosed I would have trouble staying focused driving long distance. After getting a machine it was night and day how I felt and started feeling great with lots of energy. Your doctor can also yank your Drivers if he feels you are a risk. Un-treated apnea can cause health issues like heart problems.

6.5 shooter
07-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Get checked because if you have sleep apnea it is a health risk and can be dangerous to you life. I got mine 10 years ago and before being diagnosed I would have trouble staying focused driving long distance. After getting a machine it was night and day how I felt and started feeling great with lots of energy. Your doctor can also yank your Drivers if he feels you are a risk. Un-treated apnea can cause health issues like heart problems.

X2

CPAP .ca is really good and will sell you a machine at about 1/3 of the store.
CPAP. com will NOT ship certain machines across the border BUT they have better prices on masks and other things then their Canadian counter parts.

I had my test done years ago at the Foothills in Calgary. Best darn gift the provincial government ever gave me. (Everything was covered under Heath Care at that time)

mooseburger
07-11-2014, 03:44 AM
Hey Moose,

glad your happy you talked to the girls in ontario.

it was a pleasure talking with you when you were figuring it all out.

Jen

No problem Jen, that helped with my $$$$$$ a lot... one other thing I noticed , when I "used to go to the west end shop" was that they would let you trial 1,2 or even three of their masks or machines, which I thought odd.
I mean what did they do with these $175.00 masks after you trialed them, repackage them and put them back on the shelves?
if they cost $175.00 they sure as hell weren't going to throw them away.

fickell
07-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Best $2500.00 I ever spent it takes a while to be able to wear it all night but when you do its great !!!!! I get a full sleep no snoring and I don't stop breathing and very few trips to the bath room at night . when I use it I fell great