PDA

View Full Version : Does size matter?

omega50
07-09-2014, 08:29 AM
If you were looking to purchase a truck to pull a 5th wheel camper, does box size matter?

catnthehat
07-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Short box with a sliding 5th wheel, or a long box with a stationary saddle.
I tow a heavier 5th wheel with a long box crew and it rides really nice.:)
Cat

roper1
07-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Ok,Ok, I'll skip the derail. lol. It matters because a longer box gives you more clearance between the front of your camper & the back of the truck cab. Longer box usually means longer wheelbase which helps stability.

recce43
07-09-2014, 08:44 AM
yes it will if you have along pinbox on 5th wheel 6.5 box will work if you have short pin box you will need a slider 5th wheel hitch . I have shortbox no slider but longer pinbox on 5thwheel trailer no issues

JB_AOL
07-09-2014, 08:49 AM
It will help with stability while towing, but maneaverability is lost because of it. The extra 1.5ft on the wheelbase really makes it a pain for moving around in the campground/campsite. Specifically if you use provincial/national parks.

I'd go with a short box/slider setup. Most new 5er's also have "cab-friendly" designs, where they have a cavity on the corners of the 5er to help with clearance.

brother1
07-09-2014, 11:05 AM
If it's a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, you'd have either a 6.5'ish or 8' box, no issues either way. But if it's a half ton with a 5.5'-5.8' box and you have to put a sliding hitch in...be careful. GM doesn't even recommend this, due to the eventual damage to the cab when you turn too sharp. My buddy at the glass shop replaces tons of rear windows, from guys with shorty trucks turning too sharp and taking out the back window. I wouldn't put a 5th wheel on anything under 6.5', but that's me....others do it and have no issues.

scesfiremedic
07-09-2014, 11:44 AM
It will help with stability while towing, but maneaverability is lost because of it. The extra 1.5ft on the wheelbase really makes it a pain for moving around in the campground/campsite. Specifically if you use provincial/national parks.

I'd go with a short box/slider setup. Most new 5er's also have "cab-friendly" designs, where they have a cavity on the corners of the 5er to help with clearance.

I have a long box and would disagree, there is no loss in maneuverability if you know what your doing, plus I can throw enough firewood behind the hitch to last me 3 to 4 days.

catnthehat
07-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Yup, long box for me too!:sHa_shakeshout:
"Give me forty acres....":sHa_sarcasticlol:
Really though, it's not much hassle where I have gone.
This one is a 30 footer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/truck%20pics/BigFredtheFord_zps021d94f7.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/catnthehat/media/truck%20pics/BigFredtheFord_zps021d94f7.jpg.html)
Cat

Sooner
07-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Does a short box not have a bit more carrying capacity then a long box? I know when we used to go to Mcbride and hauling sleds on a deck, the short box trucks always had more room on the door sticker then my long box.

Stumpjumper
07-10-2014, 11:42 AM
I hear that size don't matter if your ride have the small box but if it has a big one it does.:thinking-006:

silverdoctor
07-10-2014, 11:52 AM
I hear that size don't matter if your ride have the small box but if it has a big one it does.:thinking-006:

oooooh, resist the urge... lol