PDA

View Full Version : Mountie shoots cow 14 times

bat119
07-09-2014, 12:18 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/mountie-shoots-cow-14-times-1.2700320

This guy needs to work on his aim

vcmm
07-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Wow,:fighting0021:... He needs his gun taken away.

Ken07AOVette
07-09-2014, 12:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX7Yo0tWDgk&feature=kp

Kurt505
07-09-2014, 12:33 PM
It wasn't Jim Carey was it???

vcmm
07-09-2014, 12:36 PM

LMAO:sHa_shakeshout:

rena0040
07-09-2014, 12:40 PM
As the article says, most shots were in the head but were not effective. That has nothing to do with aim or marksmanship. Wrong tool for the job, 9mm wasn't designed for hunting or taking down cows its not that powerful. Google 9mm penatration test. Some rounds wont go through a wet leather jacket.

But let the police and mountie bashing continue, I've seen commercials that they're recruiting. If half the haters on this site applied imagine what a wonderful world we would live in.

HyperMOA
07-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Why did the RCMP officer let the farmer talk him out of using his shotgun? I suppose if they only have buckshot I would understand. I assume that they would have some slugs as well.

vcmm
07-09-2014, 01:00 PM
As the article says, most shots were in the head but were not effective. That has nothing to do with aim or marksmanship. Wrong tool for the job, 9mm wasn't designed for hunting or taking down cows its not that powerful. Google 9mm penatration test. Some rounds wont go through a wet leather jacket.

But let the police and mountie bashing continue, I've seen commercials that they're recruiting. If half the haters on this site applied imagine what a wonderful world we would live in.

Has nothing to do with police hateing. It can be done with a 22mag.
Bullet placement is the key!

bison
07-09-2014, 01:12 PM
14 shots!!
one .22 between the eyes is all it takes to kill a yearling.
That cop must have the "can't even hit the broadside of a barn" syndrome.:rolleye2:
And he carries a gun?:scared:

hillbillyreefer
07-09-2014, 01:29 PM

White, English speaking males need not apply.

recce43
07-09-2014, 01:35 PM
14 shots!!
That cop must have the "can't even hit the broadside of a barn" syndrome.:rolleye2:

thats what we used back home .22 to put down a cow

OpenRange
07-09-2014, 01:41 PM
A 22 mag will drop almost any cattle. The only one it doesn't work on is older bulls, the skull is too thick so I use the .22-250 to handle those ones. I've dropped yearlings before with a 38 special, don't know why armor piercing police issued ammo wouldn't penetrate a yearlings skull, kinda weird. At a range of 5 feet it should be enough to handle the situation.

6.5swedeforelk
07-09-2014, 02:29 PM
And here I thought that one of you AO buggars had convinced a slow thinker that there really was a feral cattle season!

kingrat
07-09-2014, 03:22 PM
I heard after shot number 13 he laid down and tried to choke him to finish him off number 14 was an accidental discharge. lol

marxman
07-09-2014, 03:52 PM
one time i checked a trapline for a friend who hurt his leg. i had my 22 and came upon a wolverine in the old style leg hold trap. it was huffing and dodging side to side and i missed his head 3 times. i shot him twice with my last two bullets in the chest and then it still seemed like he wouldnt die. it would have made great reality tv and my friend about the two holes in the hide he said why didnt you shoot him in the head. i never told him the whole story

pickrel pat
07-09-2014, 03:53 PM
I heard after shot number 13 he laid down and tried to choke him to finish him off number 14 was an accidental discharge. lol

I heard that a gang of 3 year olds found the pistol after having fell off the bumper a few miles down the road......any links to confirm this?:)

4thredneck
07-09-2014, 04:31 PM
14 shots!!

Hmm, right between the eyes you say. And you think the police officer shouldn't be allowed to carry a firearm.

Mike_W
07-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Ken as soon as I read this I thought about that scene!!!! LOL

Why did the RCMP officer let the farmer talk him out of using his shotgun? I suppose if they only have buckshot I would understand. I assume that they would have some slugs as well.
Buck shot would have done the job but I agree why they cop was talked out of using a shotgun is beyond me.

Many Cows have fallen with a .22 LR between the eyes a 9mm would do the job just fine but again "between the eyes".

blackmamba
07-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Last year I came across a white tail doe that had been hit by a car .. because it was within city limits I called fish n chips ..the gentlemen shows up , I show him where see lays and he walks up with in 10 ft pulls out his pistol and shoots this doe in the head .. so we sit and talk for about 5 minutes and I look over and this doe has her head up with her bottom jaw hanging blown a part..i was like hey bud better shooter again , so this time he gets a little closer and shoots again right under her eye then again right behind the ear..

I was in absolute awww of what I just witnessed.. this time I walked over and made sure she was done for good.. poor thing suffered with a broken back and its face blown up..I felt really bad for that poor doe..

bobinthesky
07-09-2014, 04:57 PM
I heard that after the 13th shot, the cow snatched the pistol from his hands and shot herself!

greylynx
07-09-2014, 05:02 PM

Renna: Your grammar, sentence structure, and word choice is very close to another AO member. You have yet to spell penetration correctly.

Have you ever been on AO under another name?

Just asking.

silverdoctor
07-09-2014, 05:03 PM
I heard that after the 13th shot, the cow snatched the pistol from his hands and shot herself!

lol

bison
07-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Hmm, right between the eyes you say. And you think the police officer shouldn't be allowed to carry a firearm.Oh give it up:rolleye2:,..you know what i meant

Scotty454
07-09-2014, 05:47 PM
...How many of you were actually there? None?

No one here knows the complexity of the situation. There may have been factors making it difficult that we're not aware of. They specifically stated that the cow was a danger to the public; think he calmed down and stayed still for the officer, especially after the first shot?

You don't need to know where in the head to shoot a cow to kill it to be an effective RCMP officer. They should take his gun away? Give me a break.

elkhunter11
07-09-2014, 06:18 PM
If it takes 14 rounds to kill a yearling , the shooter is not competent with a firearm.

vcmm
07-09-2014, 06:37 PM
...How many of you were actually there? None?

No one here knows the complexity of the situation. There may have been factors making it difficult that we're not aware of. They specifically stated that the cow was a danger to the public; think he calmed down and stayed still for the officer, especially after the first shot?

You don't need to know where in the head to shoot a cow to kill it to be an effective RCMP officer. They should take his gun away? Give me a break.

I've been to a few rodeos like that.Some even with bison.
Problem is the shooter!!

guywiththemule
07-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Poor guy was probably just stressed out ; shooting an evil gun,taking an innocent life,people watching and the poor member not sure where the brain is in a cow(yearling;whatever)!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

greylynx
07-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Poor guy was probably just stressed out ; shooting an evil gun,taking an innocent life,people watching and the poor member not sure where the brain is in a cow(yearling;whatever)!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

That is funny.:)

I would be a vegetarian if my dear departed relatives did not know how to turn bossy into supper with a .22 cartridge.

I am laughing. And so is my 88 year old dad who is sitting with me.

3blade
07-09-2014, 08:47 PM
The way i see it, he was probably told by the rancher to shoot it in the head. Being a mountie, well he's used to the head being in a certain location, and may have had to be redirected from south to north... "Most of the bullets hit the skull...."

Most. Doubt the cow was having any of it after the first one.

Matt L.
07-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Some people really need to see the humour around them. Not making jokes on a story like this is almost unforgiveable.

Kurt505
07-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Some people really need to see the humour around them. Not making jokes on a story like this is almost unforgiveable.

:sHa_shakeshout:

Au revoir, Gopher
07-09-2014, 09:18 PM

:sHa_shakeshout:

I'll second that. :sHa_shakeshout:

I've had to put down animals before; and sometimes it did not go according to plan. I feel for the officer (and the cow)... it is hard to see the humour in my own misfortunes... but you have to learn to laugh at yourself, 'cause everyone else is laughing at you!

ARG

kingrat
07-09-2014, 10:13 PM
you dont think his or hers partners are making fun of him if theyre not hes not well liked then, thats how we deal with these stressfull jobs is sick humor relax.

covey ridge
07-09-2014, 10:34 PM
From the article:

"A veterinarian told police that several of the shots landed in an area of the animal's skull that would not have been effective"

The only thing this cop is guilty of is not being a farm boy.

twofifty
07-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Thing is that it is not an uncommon experience to have a wounded -cow, horse, moose, elk, sheep, deer- by the side of a highway. Police are inevitably called upon to despatch these unfortunate creatures.

Is it unrealistic to expect a rural police officer to receive additional training that deals with ways to humanely shoot animals that are common in the area being policed?

I'm not saying this should happen at Depot, but am suggesting that at the detachment level a card with a simple body drawing showing the CNS system and other vital spots would be training enough. A drawn outline of the head with the brain showing as a black mass would do the trick.

Have the 'brain' card accessible through the car's computer screen. You pull up to a wounded cow, call up the CNS info, step up to the beast and get the job done with 2 shots. End of story and no embarrassing youtube videos.

cody j
07-10-2014, 08:39 AM
A very similar thing happened to one of my neighbours calves that had been chewed on by a wolf, when the local fish cop tried to put it down with his handgun, he went through a lot of rounds and gained a few nicknames in the process. I don't think you should shoot cows between the eyes, it should be higher. If you draw an imaginary line from the left ear to the right eye ,right ear to left eye, the spot where these lines cross is where you want to shoot. The brain is mostly above the eyes and that's where you need to be.

creeky
07-10-2014, 09:13 AM
14 shots!!

impossible situation for the mounties, cow chased all over the province, broken leg-ADRENALINE:confused:

bobinthesky
07-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Drawing an X between the animals eyes and ears marks the exact spot the bullet should be place on the forehead to hit the brain but there's another factor and that is the type of bullets used.
Hollow point pistol bullets will usually blow up on contact with the skull and not give the penetration needed to reach the brain. Even the .22 long rifle round with hollow points will barely make a scratch, but put a solid nose bullet there and it's lights out instantly.
Years ago an RCMP friend came to me and asked why he was having trouble putting down injured animals with his 9mm. I told him to carry a hand full of hardball ammo and substitute them for his hollow points on just such occasions and he never had problems after that.

greylynx
07-10-2014, 10:18 AM
I honestly hope that poor mounty does not get into trouble with his superiors.

He will have enough of a time getting ribbed by his coworkers.

And I hope the poor guy also has a bit of humour in him.

Stumpjumper
07-10-2014, 11:26 AM

I am sorry but a good man can kill a cow with hammer between the horns. My father killed one witha fence post beteen the horn when it went at him while he was mending fence.
My grandfather killed one with his fist although it did break a couple bone in his hand.
In slaughter house they use 22 blank bolt gun or compress air.

It is not the tool but the capenter as they say:)

NSRfishing
07-10-2014, 11:42 AM
here is the video of the shooting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMWUdY56lAA

vcmm
07-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Maybe we should give the poor guy a 223 and some tannerite. :thinking-006:

covey ridge
07-10-2014, 03:04 PM
I am sorry but a good man can kill a cow with hammer between the horns. My father killed one witha fence post beteen the horn when it went at him while he was mending fence.
My grandfather killed one with his fist although it did break a couple bone in his hand.
In slaughter house they use 22 blank bolt gun or compress air.

It is not the tool but the capenter as they say:)

I think in the comedy blazing saddles one of the clowns put down a horse with his fist. I remember seeing a professional rASSler who used to head butt a horse off his feet before he entered the ring. The humane association eventually put and end to that. I am sure that there are some that could kill with their fist but could you imagine the squawk if the Mountie would have declined a firearm and done the animal with his fist.:sHa_shakeshout:

Your capenter must be from Boston;)

The Cook
07-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Seems to me that it all boils down to the right tool (or fool) for the job

Pathfinder76
07-11-2014, 12:29 PM
From the article:

"A veterinarian told police that several of the shots landed in an area of the animal's skull that would not have been effective"

The only thing this cop is guilty of is not being a farm boy.

Exactly.

I'll bet more than half of the general populous of this thread would have the same multiple shot problem.

Mulehahn
07-11-2014, 12:42 PM
I have no idea how badly the cow was hurt, but I bet it was lying down its head may of been down to. Yup, sure is easy to draw the X from ears to eyes when the animal is standing and looking right at you. But try that with an animal on the ground and its head sideways. Unless you lie down to and look the animal straight in the eyes then you are going to be shooting it from the side of the head. A cows brain is pretty small and the chances of hitting it from the side is pretty slim without a diagram or experience. That is were the shotgun with buckshot would of worked perfectly. If you insist that it has to be in the forehead than you have a severe angle and the bullet will most likely deflect. In this case he should of gone behind the animal and put the bullet at the base of the skull. But if you always hear "between the eyes," most people wouldn't think of that. I disagree with a lot of the RCMPs tactics, but in this case I hope he learns to laugh it off.

elkhunter11
07-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Exactly.

I'll bet more than half of the general populous of this thread would have the same multiple shot problem.

I could understand how someone totally unfamiliar with killing animals, could take several shots to find the right location, but fourteen is ridiculous.