PDA

View Full Version : 2008 F250 6.4L Steering Problem

LeonH
07-09-2014, 10:45 PM
It just started today. When turning steering wheel (either direction), it will not come back to the original position by itself. Otherwise the steering is not too hard and I can not hear any special noise. Any ideas of what it could be?

I was going on a family camping trip tomorrow after work (pulling our 19ft trailer) and was wandering if it will be safe until next week when we get back. The whole trip should be under 300kms.

Thanks in advance.

67ZL1
07-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Almost sounds like you have an axle joint seizing up.

domo121
07-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Ya id check the axle joints, does the wheel jerk almost bind when turning? Also id check the steering shock make sure its not leaking.

bruceba
07-10-2014, 09:27 PM
I"d take it in and have it checked out. A quick check of problems lists this as one of them. Here are a few. Good to know as I drive the same truck.

My dealership identified during routine servicing that the steering gear box on my 2008 Ford F250 diesel truck is faulty and needs replacing. The steering wheel does not return easily coming out of a turn. They recommend the steering gear box be replaced with official Ford parts but then stated it could take up to 120 days to get the part. It was recommended I don't drive the truck in the meantime. I understand an investigation has been started on this problem as people have reported complete loss of steering. It is not considered a recall yet. I am very concerned and am not driving my truck but cannot wait long for a solution.
- San Antonio, TX, USA

The steering wheel got stuck when I turned and never returned back on its own. The gear box has been replaced twice, this is now the third time I have to replace the gearbox, on top of all the aggravation and safety concerns I have the dealership now says they cannot get the part, it is on back order being built"?? and that they might have to give me a non Ford built gearbox??"I have been waiting for over 1 month with no success. This truck is a business truck and I am sooo upset how this has been handled by Ford. I am now going to try to file the truck under the lemon law. We need our truck. Please help!!!!
- Miami, FL, USA

LeonH
07-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Well, I got back from our camping trip safe and sound. Having said that, it is going for a check up tomorrow. I still do have third party extended warranty, so we will see if it was worthy investment. But I realy do hope it is not the steering box.

While on this trip pulling my trailer it felt a bit wierd controlling the steering wheel trying in order to correct the steering. Otherwise it was OK, I guess.

sourdough doug
07-13-2014, 11:10 PM
I'm sorry but I don't understand when you say it will not come back to original position. I have never driven a power steering that comes back...you lost me...sorry

LeonH
07-14-2014, 06:29 AM
I'm sorry but I don't understand when you say it will not come back to original position. I have never driven a power steering that comes back...you lost me...sorry

Steering wheel should have some movement going back and would require minimal assistance by the driver. In my case after comleting a turn, if I did nothing my truck would be going in a circle for ever.

LeonH
07-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Update:

The steering box was screwed up and needs replacing is what the shop is telling me. The warranty would pay to replace with used steering box (not happy there) less diagnostic fee, which was $150.

I ended up asking to install fresh rebuilt one for extra $330 for my piece of mind. Should be ready to test & pick up this afternoon.

Redfrog
07-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Glad you caught it before you had a wreck. $500 to repair with extended warranty???? Hmmm?

LeonH
07-14-2014, 05:31 PM
Glad you caught it before you had a wreck. $500 to repair with extended warranty???? Hmmm?

Do not get me wrong I am happy to have got this done. The only issue I had with the 3rd party warranty was the fact that they wanted to replace with used parts and I chose a bit more costly option for my own safety and safety of my loved ones.

Money well spent in my eyes but the warranty company should have done this in the first place considering this is my very first claim in three and a half years that I have this truck.