PDA

View Full Version : Atv's

Thinlizzy
07-09-2014, 11:24 PM
Guys be carefull with your children on atv's this summer.
A friend of mine lost there daughter today. My father in law is a mortician and he sees his fair share of these accidents. Breaks your heart fellas.
Hug and kiss your little ones.

Dacotensis
07-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Guys be carefull with your children on atv's this summer.
A friend of mine lost there daughter today. My father in law is a mortician and he sees his fair share of these accidents. Breaks your heart fellas.
Hug and kiss your little ones.

Jesus we hear about this all the time.
I know more than a few guys paralyzed from being young riders.
I think the only thing worse than your child passing, would be knowing you could have prevented serious injury.

bb356
07-09-2014, 11:36 PM
My condolence's to the family

Sooner
07-10-2014, 09:49 AM
Condolences to the family and you. So sad to hear. It has been drilled into my kids how fast you can get hurt or worse on a atv or sled. Best thing that happened was a tiny upset going over a rut when the kids rode a 90 cc. Soft fall overs into muskeg but they both got educated real quick. But things happen fast.

vital shok
07-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Lost a amazing brother in law about a month ago do to a atv.he was my best friend and I couldn't imagine loosing my daughter to a atv accident.My heart goes out to the family we share your grief.

bessiedog
07-10-2014, 10:49 AM
ATVs and kids don't mix.

I've been first on the scene of a kid that rolled his quad off a trail and was pinned for three hours.
Took four EMTz to get him out.

Lost a kindergarten kid a few years back cause the quad back flipped onto the family.

Had what I assume was a grampa take kids kids through the Carbondale river 50 meters upstream of where I was fishin two days ago. Spun out in the loose gravel, had three little ones tucked in around him.

Stupid injures, stupid kills.

Stick to minibikes with a governor. Those have decent speed and weight limits.

Smokey
07-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Starting to become epidemic. Prayers out to the family.

Don't think safety courses would do much to stem them problem, and I think its a matter of time before we see some sorta licensing like we saw with boaters to appease lawmakers. However as I learn everytime I go to the lake those courses are often forgotten.

I think the perception is anyone can ride a quad, and people don't have the necessary skills to ride. I learned a long time ago when I rolled a friends Honda in the mountains, that its not as easy as you think. You learn to smarten up. Some learn faster then others.

I wish tnere was common sense answers, but I fear eventually there will be more legistlation and rules to appease people. Frankly if I had one legistlation, I would love to see all kids quads like the mini side by sides with a roll bar or cage.

bessiedog
07-10-2014, 11:27 AM
It was better when it was just bikes and trikes.

Spend two minutes on them things .... And you KNOW you need strength, balance, and skill.

Most people just sit on a quad like its a mobile outdoorsy couch.

Sickens me.

Our bodies were made to move. Use them.

javlin101
07-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Unfortunately the trend will continue. Does not matter what you ride Bike, trike, ATV/UTV without the proper education and training this will continue. Yes quads seem to give some a false sense of stability until they find out how easy it is to flip/roll one. I have a lot where registered OHV can be rode on county byways. There is an abundance of dangerous operating of equipment every weekend. No helmets, adults with multiple kids hanging off machines, young kids on big machines alone, the list could go on & on.

The scary trend now is bigger bore machines coming out every year, 1000cc quads and UTV's that have scary amounts of speed, power, & running on light wall tires with 4lbs of air. yikes

sjd
07-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Enforcing the law would be a good start. The number of kids under 14 riding unsupervised is scary. Would like to see the RCMP make a very public enforcement blitz on this.

silverdoctor
07-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Condolences to the family, it's tragic losing a young one.

Unfortunately the trend will continue. Does not matter what you ride Bike, trike, ATV/UTV without the proper education and training this will continue.

One can also throw car or truck in there.

wildside2014
07-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Friend lost his his 14 year old brother to a quad and my older brother had recunstructive facial surgery dueto one. I internally rage when i see anyone under legal drinking age riding without a bucket on.

Thinlizzy
07-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers guys.
Have a safe summer.