PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking from Calgary to Onoway

dopemop
07-10-2014, 05:31 AM
I want to take a hike from NE Calgary to Onoway. I have no idea how long it will take I am guessing 5-6 days as I am not in the best shape and I want to stop at a few fishing spots on the way (Sylvan, Gull, Pigeon and the NSR. are all options) Has anyone done this? I also only want to leave with $100 dollars. Can anyone give me a route? I am only bringing 4l of water so I think I would need to stop at a town so I can fill up.

My pack is going to include 1 extra shirt and pants. 3 pair of underwear. Fresh socks for each day. $100. First aid kit. UL fishing gear. 1 man tent. Small tarp. Smokes. Lighters. Cell phone. Cans of food and 4L of water. Hatchet, Headlamp (no bear spray cause a 19 year old cannot buy it at A&N)

What am I missing? How long will the trip take? Best route? where to set camps?

I would like to randomly arrive at my great aunts who just recently lost her husband (my great uncle) and give her a surprise and give her company and help around for the summer as a total surprise.. I also want this to be the start of sobriety for myself so it will be a total sober trip.

roughneckin
07-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Good luck man and good for you to go help your aunt out.

I can't say much about your trip but maybe can help with the planning for distances. The average person walks at about a 5km/h pace so depending on how many hours you want to walk would depend on how many days it would take.

Have fun man. Should be interesting and could see how friendly all the folks are along the way. Maybe stop by a few farm houses and ask to stay in the barn overnight possibly.

Sushi
07-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Once you start walking, you may soon wish you at least had a bicycle. Seems like more of a cycling route than hiking as you would be following public roadways the whole time. Either way, it will be an adventure!

Kurt505
07-10-2014, 09:11 AM
I'd suggest instead of canned food to bring dried fruit and beef jerky, also I'd add a small aluminum pot and definitely a knife of some sort, preferably a big one. Also I think if you're going to be doing any stops for fishing you can add a few days on to your travel itinerary, I'm guessing you'll be putting on about 40km on a good days walking without any extended stops. As for the route I'd say look on google maps and pick the route you'd like best.

Good luck and have fun! After that walk I'm sure a little walk to Alberta Beach for a cool dip in the lake and some girl watching will be a refreshing conclusion.

Bigdad013
07-10-2014, 09:40 AM
I think more planning is needed. You say your not in the best of shape, but just doing 40 kms a day (a marathon), it will take 9 days, thats without stopping for fishing and what not. With the temperatures now, your water consumption wil be much more than 4 litres a day. Footwear, footwear, footwear, is key. I would say minimum 2 weeks, food and water very important, or you won't be doing any distances worth mentioning.
I wish you luck, but you will need to think this through a whole bunch more.

Okotokian
07-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Humping canned food, 4 litres of water, tent, hatchet, etc up the side of the highway in July when you aren't in good shape and smoking... sounds like it could be pretty miserable, the proverbial death march. I know you want to help and surprise your great aunt, but do find a way to make sure she is actually home when you arrive. Would be terrible to go through all that just to find that she's gone away for a few days.

Good for you on the sobriety. after that, ditch the smokes. ;)

Personally, my suggestion would be to take the bus to Onoway. Then after that do a little hiking in K country where it's designed for that, with available campgrounds, lakes, etc.

Anyway, good luck. You sound like a young man who's trying to do the right thing and also improve his life. :happy0034:

silverdoctor
07-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Wow, that's quite the hike. I'd personally put in a 40 pound pack and walk for a few miles as a test. I smoked for 26 years and wouldn't pull that off but if you can, big thumbs up.

BackPackHunter
07-10-2014, 04:19 PM
new to backpacking...

Keep heavier stuff centered and close to your body
Where good ankle supporting foot wear
Take off your boots and socks and air dry when you stop
Have hockey tape to wrap toes when u have a hot spot or blister
Take care of your feet.
Drink lots of water
Sunscreen

Bergerboy
07-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Buy a lifestraw then you can make any drinking water drinkable. Its gonna be a hot trip and you will go through more water than you think. They are only 20$

http://www.buylifestraw.com/

dopemop
07-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Yeah I had a few too many wobbly pops last night and this seemed like a great idea :sHa_sarcasticlol:... Thanks for the tips but I am going to just take the bus up there and camp on the farm for a couple weeks.

Okotokian
07-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Yeah I had a few too many wobbly pops last night and this seemed like a great idea .

It all makes sense now. Well good luck anyway. And remember the "I also want this to be the start of sobriety for myself" part. You're 19, don't go downhill.

Jayhad
07-11-2014, 10:15 AM
take the opportunity to be truly sober and leave the smokes behind