PDA

View Full Version : "Stop Order" issued to Spruce Grove Gun Club

ACKLEY ABE
07-10-2014, 05:54 AM
Well here it is........for what it is worth, I plan on letting Parkland County know that I will, as long as this remains in place, not be dealing with any buisenesses in Parkland county.

Better send some letters, folks.

Hello,

As most of you will know by now, Parkland County has issued a “Stop Order” on the operation of the Spruce Grove Gun Club.

This is complicated and I will try to give you what I know.

There are two things to keep straight in your mind.
1. There has been a Stop Order issued by Parkland County; which can be appealed.
2. There is a Development Permit, which was granted to the Spruce Grove Gun Club, which can be appealed.

The development permit granted to the club has been appealed to the Sub-Division Appeal Board and is scheduled to be heard on July 28th with a decision to be delivered within 15 days.

This is not only a most unfortunate development, it happened without any notice to the club. The only recourse available to the club is to appeal the stop order, which the club will be doing immediately.

Right now I do not know any details as to the process, timeframe, etc. of the appeal process for the stop order.

The club is honoring the Stop Order. All shooting at the club has ceased until further notice.

To those of you that have sent notes asking if there is anything that you can do to help, we thank you. As soon as a plan is developed, and a need arises, count on being tapped on the shoulder and being asked to lend a hand on this very critical matter.

There will be more details in the future.

Dick284
07-10-2014, 06:03 AM
Great idea about boycotting the county Abe.

I'll be sending the Reeve an email to that fact very soon, with my reasons why I am boycotting businesses within the county.

I suggest any and all forum member close to Parkland County do the same.

ACKLEY ABE
07-10-2014, 06:22 AM
I've been hunting for an email address. Do you have one? ...and when you send your letter, can you post it. You, do, at times, have an articulate way of putting things and others, including me, may be able to use some of your ideas in our own letters.

Dick284
07-10-2014, 06:27 AM
Just sent this:
Apparently he's a Mayor not a Reeve.
Parkland County website, Governance, click on the guys name.

Mayor Shaigec:
As a Resident of Drayton Valley I have shopped within Parkland County on numerous occasions.
The recent closure of the Spruce Grove Gun Club by your county has me now taking my business elsewhere.
The history of Parkland Counties anti Shooting Club agenda is very well published, and shows gross prejudice towards the shooting sports for the sake of urban sprawl, it is shameful to see the vehemently pro subdivision development agenda being exhorted by your county council.

I will not support any entity that does not support the shooting sports.
I am using Internet message boards and social media to call on all persons who have ever dealt with Parkland County businesses to boycott your county until rational, and equity is restored to this situation.

Weedy1
07-10-2014, 06:30 AM
I've been hunting for an email address.

Here you go:

http://www.parklandcounty.com/Governance/Council.htm

and the only info (from April 10, 2013) about this from the Parkland County site I could find:

http://www.parklandcounty.com/About_Us/Newsroom/Parkland_County_Council_and_Spruce_Grove_Stony_Pla in_RCMP_respond_to_firearms_concerns__s1_p809.htm

densa44
07-10-2014, 06:36 AM
Abe, are you in violation of your operating licence, taxes all paid, what prompted the stop order? What does the order say?
Were there warnings?
Why is subdivision handling the appeal?

Lots of questions I know, but before we start calling the CAO and/or the Mayor, we need a bit more info.

Dick284
07-10-2014, 06:48 AM
Abe, are you in violation of your operating licence, taxes all paid, what prompted the stop order? What does the order say?
Were there warnings?
Why is subdivision handling the appeal?

Lots of questions I know, but before we start calling the CAO and/or the Mayor, we need a bit more info.

The history between the county and the club is pretty well known, it's all about money and development.

ACKLEY ABE
07-10-2014, 06:59 AM
I've just been asked to lay low. Apparently things are in the works.

Dewey Cox
07-10-2014, 07:38 AM

lower than that.
;)

doetracks
07-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Email sent.

Grizzly Adams
07-10-2014, 07:49 AM

Maybe try the non confrontational approach first. Part of Mountainview's problem was their in your face tactics. gotta wonder what the reason is here to start.

Grizz

338ultra
07-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Does anybody know if membership fees will be refunded?

Grizzly Adams
07-10-2014, 07:52 AM

You're bailing, already? :lol:

Grizz

338ultra
07-10-2014, 08:42 AM
not bailing, just wondering if its going to take a year to figure this out, if it does there will probably be no reimbursment

Cement Bench
07-10-2014, 09:45 AM
as per usual I have some information on this and have known the real issue for a while now.

I am sure the executive would like to inform the members of the situation and the actions being taken and the strategy involved

BUT BECAUSE OF SITES LIKE THIS where guys react to quickly and perhaps improperly (at this time) they cannot and must not,

(it is a legal thing OK)

the time SHALL (and not may come when your help is needed and then PLEASE REACT QUICKLY AND SWIFTY when asked, now is just not the time),

no PM's please I am leaving town shortly,

hang on this may get resolved in the next 30 days and if not then yes by all means they will need your help,

information flow will be vetted and slow to be released as they must be careful in what they let out and HOW THEY SAY IT, the county is monitoring this site and others, this I know,

the county also has councillor issues and municipal governance issues from before in my involvement as a county ratepayor and lawyer,

municipal law court remidies are messy and mostly fruitless as most of the time all that happens is a RE-HEARING and the members on the board just tow the party line and not comment or act inapppropriately and then it is over,

I went to the court of appeal in 1983 against the county of leduc and got a re-hearing for the drayton valley range closure, if not for getting the local cops to admit it was their members TRESSPASSING AND SHOOOTING AFTER HOURS we would have been closed down,

things are not as they appear the gun club boys HAVE THIS WELL UNDER CONTROL (for as much as that is possible under the circumstances)

please let the club do their job, and hope the county acts properly,

carry on and back to the regular scheduled programing of members who should be doing their regular day job instead of surfing the internet (general well intended as they may be, they should worry more about being fired for not doing their 9 to 5 job than creating problems on the net as it were)

and no charge for this advice but please, back off for now,

all will be revealed in the hollywood papers or formally in due course,

thanks for those who have a brain and can follow this suggestion

THIS MESSAGE HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED BY THE sggc NOR RUN BY THEM FOR APPROVAL

later :sign0161:

Cement Bench

Cement Bench
07-10-2014, 10:53 AM
after speaking with Jackie Ostashek Manager of communications and stratigic planning, and then Paul Hanlan Manager of Planning and Developement servics as a county ratepayor the following apprears to be clear to me

1. permits have technically expired (time line was 3 and 5 years) for the range and they were continuing to use the property so a stop work order was issued and is being appealed, gun club and 5 residences have filed appearls,

2. hearing is set for end of the month in the planning end of it,

3. both folks I chated with said the gun club has been very respectful of the county employees and staff and council, (that is good)

4. the range was conditionally approved for another 3 years but this has been appealed by landowners and under the COUNTY BYLAW the NEW CONDITIONAL APPROVAL IS OF NO FORCE AND EFFECT UNTIL THE APPEAR PERIOD EXPIRES OR A APPEAL HEARING TAKES PLACE, so the county issued a stop work order which the gun club is foloowing but perhaps appealing as well, there you go a real update

so let us patiently wait for the gun club to issue a formal statement on the process as it unfolds and let them deal with the county in a formal DUE PROCESS kind of way,

again this post has not been endorsed or approved by any member, director or agent of the spruce grove gun club,

and yes the provincial CFO office is involved as well,

I wish I could type faster and more accurately but sadly I cannot,

and quite frankly the details one could reveal would just get twisted around or lost in the legal translation so I will leave it there,

my apologies to the spruce grove gun club if they think I have overstepped my bounds as a ratepayor in the county and a member on this site,

thnaks to all who will listen and help when need be

and good by

you may re-post this onto other sites with the appropriate disclosure of htis post in full and not taken out of context by only quoting a small section for the purpose of imformation only based on conversations with county officials,

Cement Bench

jackrabbit000
07-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the update CB.

seabass23
07-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the update CB.

Yes, thanks. As a member, I really appreciate the time you spent to provide a better explanation. You have given me confidence in those that are working on the issue.

greylynx
07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
You have to get some local business people mad at the County too.

Be Nice in your letters to them, and tell them why they are being boycotted.

Grizzly Adams
07-10-2014, 04:39 PM
You have to get some local business people mad at the County too.

Be Nice in your letters to them, and tell them why they are being boycotted.

This was one of the threats thrown out by the Mountainview Marksmen and the reality is that they didn't thave that much of an impact economically on the town and I would think much less on a rural jurisdiction. Tim's and gas. :D

As for the cop thing, that factored into the Olds range as well. Cops from near and far, including the Calgary tactical unit were coming there for training.

Grizz

coreya3212
07-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Grizzly Adams, are you happy the olds range was shut down?

sureshot
07-10-2014, 05:38 PM
This is right from parkland.

http://www.parklandcounty.com/About_Us/Newsroom/Stop_Order_issued_on_Spruce_Grove_Gun_Club__s1_p12 75.htm

jackrabbit000
07-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Here's the stop order sent to the SGCC:

http://imgur.com/a/mgEu4

jackrabbit000
07-10-2014, 09:59 PM
---

Precisionshooter
07-11-2014, 04:43 PM
I believe part of the problem with no patience and "online jackrabbit - spitfire responses" can be attributed to the communication or lack thereof, of those managing the club. Evidently there appears to be the opinion that the members do not need to be in the know. There were several key items mentioned by Parkland County which can be seen by using one of the links. I wonder how many members actually new about these items and whether they were addressed or not? Given past practices I doubt members should expect any positive changes unless there is intervention by new people with new ideas and sound common sense.

Not having paid much attention to the existing SPGGC managements practices in the past, I decided this past year to see what was going on largely due to the apparent problems with the RSO issue, the last hunting season range closure, and a few other things.

I would encourage members to be actively involved in the club to see what is going on and to encourage or enable positive internal change. Communication is vital and keeping membership in the dark hasn’t been serving the club very well, but then one can only assume that is likely by design.

twofifty
07-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Given the circumstances post #25 isn't very helpful.

silverdoctor
07-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Voted too, not going to do much, it's just a poll.

Sounds like the range will be legislated out of existence. Not a good precedent.

Precisionshooter
07-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Given the circumstances post #25 isn't very helpful.

Members should get involved.......part of the reason the ship runs the way it does. Once the Capitan runs a shore......it is pretty hard to help out. There is no magic wand for this case.

twofifty
07-11-2014, 09:11 PM
I agree that getting membership involvement is the best thing for any club, regardless of how well the executive runs it.

Could you not get a hold of the club's membership email list and bring your suggestions forward that way and also through AGM resolutions instead of on a public forum?

BigRedChickie
07-11-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm a member of the SGGC and also a resident within the county and this decision has left me frustrated and somewhat angry. I am also going to do all of my shopping outside of the county until this matter is resolved and I will be letting my friends and family know about the situation that is arising here and of course the businesses that I will no longer be supporting.
I also have been forced to examine the efficiency and competence of the county planning and development departments. If they decide that the new subdivisions are in danger now, why was that not addressed before the land was subdivided and developed? That shows gross negligence on behalf of the county to put those people in supposed "danger" (not that they are). Not to mention the people who knowingly bought and built next to a gun club only to complain about it after. Get a life. :shake:
:angry3:

Precisionshooter
07-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Could you not get a hold of the club's membership email list and bring your suggestions forward that way and also through AGM resolutions instead of on a public forum?

There in lies part of the dilemma. The concept can work under normal circumstances when dealing with the right people. A public forum is a useful tool when other tools are just too worn out if you get my drift. When was the last time you were at an AGM at the SGGC? You can PM me if you like to take it off line.

Cement Bench
07-12-2014, 11:48 AM
I agree that getting membership involvement is the best thing for any club, regardless of how well the executive runs it.

some people who have done that get punted, this I know for a fact !

they do not communicate well and should have done a small write up on this and can gun nutz to quell the tide of guys who want action now

Cement Bench

masalma
07-12-2014, 08:29 PM
So if it closes the only remaining one is Wabamun range? Which has been closer for most of the summer waiting for CFO approval.

260 Rem
07-12-2014, 09:19 PM
So if it closes the only remaining one is Wabamun range? Which has been closer for most of the summer waiting for CFO approval.
I think CHAS is still accepting members??

masalma
07-12-2014, 09:37 PM
That is bad news for the sport. But I doubt anything we do will influence their decision. Final decision has probably already been made and the rest is just process and politics. New developments will bring a lot more money than what the club and its members will contribute to the local economy.

Crappy deal but politics at its best.

Hat in the Cat
07-12-2014, 09:55 PM
You would think that if a CFO can not maintain a reasonable amount of ranges open for the shooting populous, they would stop enforcing the arbitrary rule about belonging to a range to purchase/continue to own restricted firearms.

colroggal
07-13-2014, 12:16 AM
As for a boycott on county business goes, lump in most if not all independant fuel retailers as Parkland/Petrohaul now a division of Wiebe, a subsidiary of Seaboard based in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia supplies product to esso, race trac gas, fas gas and darned near every mom and pop two pump corner store between Athabasca and Cyprus Hills. That should put the hurt on.

Its funny how folks don't mind the very real chance of golf balls crashing through their bay windows or the toddlers playing in the backyard but the threat of lead moving at perpendicular angles three miles away makes them soil their dockers.

skippydoo22
07-14-2014, 12:31 PM
As for a boycott on county business goes, lump in most if not all independant fuel retailers as Parkland/Petrohaul now a division of Wiebe, a subsidiary of Seaboard based in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia supplies product to esso, race trac gas, fas gas and darned near every mom and pop two pump corner store between Athabasca and Cyprus Hills. That should put the hurt on.

Its funny how folks don't mind the very real chance of golf balls crashing through their bay windows or the toddlers playing in the backyard but the threat of lead moving at perpendicular angles three miles away makes them soil their dockers.

I never really thought of it that way but good point!

Iron Brew
07-14-2014, 02:26 PM
When these type of issues arise, I can't help but feel the biggest part of the problem is noise. I wish they (county/government) would use this to push for suppressors to reduce the volume. I know reducing the volume to where I did not have hearing damage occuring would be great.

Nester
07-14-2014, 03:56 PM
http://www.mountainviewgazette.ca/article/20110510/MVG0801/305109993/-1/mvg/gun-club-closes-range-citing-noise-bylaw

http://www.mvmarksmans.com/

Nothing heard from these guys in the last year, no idea on what there doing with our membership $ or any future plans.

The closure even had members of this forum selling themselves out to try and gain some status in there political riding. Go figure how low some people will fly

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=70326&highlight=mountainview

Took a few pics, this morning. Sure is a far cry from the Rocky or a couple of other ranges, I have seen. I thought a call to the weed inspector might be warranted. The feed back I'm getting is, Used to be a member and shoot there. Not anymore. It was built to meet the needs of the community. Doesn't do that anymore. Shut er down.:lol:

Precisionshooter
07-16-2014, 10:04 AM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=224502

Dudley Doright
07-17-2014, 06:13 PM

I wouldn't give up that quickly and the cost of legal challenges is just beginning up to and including litigation for loss of business and from the land-owner, loss of revenue from rentals.

The lady who claims she saw a projectile pass by her windshield truly has remarkable vision as a bullet traveling at 2,500 feet per second is also traveling at 1,704.5 miles per hour!

The projectile that was "embedded" in a piece of trim on a residence showed no deformation and could not have impacted the wood and penetrated the wood without showing at least a minor degree of deformation. The bullet could not have come from the range.

twofifty
07-17-2014, 06:24 PM
If people are maliciously fabricating evidence (bullet embedded into siding that is alleged to have been fired from a nearby range) they ought to be charged with some sort of crime.

Similar events have occurred elsewhere, thinking specifically of Lethbridge.

Dudley Doright
07-17-2014, 06:46 PM
If people are maliciously fabricating evidence (bullet embedded into siding that is alleged to have been fired from a nearby range) they ought to be charged with some sort of crime.

Similar events have occurred elsewhere, thinking specifically of Lethbridge.

And even more difficult to prove without evidence and circumstances!

BANG
07-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Any truth to the rumor that one of the women in the area complained about bullets hitting her property and her proof was fully loaded cartridges she claimed to find?she did not understand that only the bullet was fired out of a firearm and got called on her b.s.
Sure hope she is facing charges if its true.

hillbillyreefer
07-17-2014, 07:39 PM

hillbillyreefer
07-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Any truth to the rumor that one of the women in the area complained about bullets hitting her property and her proof was fully loaded cartridges she claimed to find?she did not understand that only the bullet was fired out of a firearm and got called on her b.s.
Sure hope she is facing charges if its true.

I seem to remember the pictures in the media. She won't be, this is the new world order, we should succumb.

Welcome to the new reality.