PDA

View Full Version : Travel Trailer question RE: Axle flip

Sooner
07-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Just bought a real nice 84 Terry trailer. 24 ft. With these old trailers & the walking beam suspension they sit pretty low. Had a look underneath and the axles are straight, no arc. Is there any reason i can't or shouldn't demount the axles from the inside of the springs and re bolt them up under the spring to get about 3 inches of lift? which would make a big difference. New u bolts and nuts are a must of course. Looks like a simple flip. I had it done it on my old single axle travel trailer and it helped keep the trailer level with the old 1 ton and of course going onto uneven roads and camp stalls.

Thanks

reelhooker
07-10-2014, 10:10 AM
No reason not to do it. I did and it's nice having the extra clearance. Just remember that the last step gets a little higher for entering/exiting.

turbo mulcher
07-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Are your tires wearing ok? Axles/ tires are aligned by bending the axle. I would by new spring pads and weld them above the originals and have it aligned. Done a few like this.

Snort
07-10-2014, 10:20 AM
I would think that there is or should have been an arc to the axles but maybe very slight. Aside from that, I don't believe that the brake mechanisms are designed to work upside down.

CBintheNorth
07-10-2014, 10:56 AM
I would think that there is or should have been an arc to the axles but maybe very slight. Aside from that, I don't believe that the brake mechanisms are designed to work upside down.

^^^^^This.
I have never seen an axle without arc. You may have to take the weight off and run a full length straight edge to see it.
I flipped the axle on a tent trailer that I could have sworn was straight and made it 3 hrs on a brand new set of tires before they were completely bald.
Took the axle into Mccoys and they re arced it for I think $100.
I also have doubts about the brake drums working this way as the pads would be oriented wrong if they are in fact two different sizes.

beltburner
07-10-2014, 09:28 PM
figure out what your axels are. there is most likely a kit to flip them. just make sure they go back the way they came out and it'll be no problem

Sooner
07-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the tips, my old single axle brakes worked great after the flip, would lock up the wheels on a gravel road if you turned up the controller. I am checking bearings tomorrow and the trailer will be on jack stands so i will re check the arc. It has almost new tires, I don't need to wear them out. At this point i don't think it has been pulled enough by the previous owner to show any wear on the tires. I deal with a lot of frame shops such as the old Mcoys. I will ask someone i know about the brakes.

Thanks again

dumoulin
07-11-2014, 09:06 AM
If you do it, don't forget to install new stairs.

fatboyz
07-11-2014, 01:09 PM
I took mine in to the local spring and alignment shop. They cut off the old ppads and welded on new ones on the other sidr for 100 bucks. I then rebolted them on. I built a new 2 step wooden stair so I could easilly get in and out.

Highlander44
07-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Don't mess around and take it to Standen Springs.... they know the facts, are reasonable, and won't steer you wrong. used them many times and have always had good service.

winmag
07-13-2014, 11:00 AM
springs under axle , disconnect brake wires, unbolt u bolts and flip axle so spring mount is up , next turn axle 180 to keep the toe in[ left wheel is now on right side] the brake wires are still at top and would have to be reconnected if you don't do a 180 you will be toed out and will scrub tires off first trip ,just mark everything , leave trailer hooked up to truck for support, you can wind down the trailer jacks also , jack up one axle at a time and remove tires and do the flip ,finish and then do the second . Try to work smart so nobody gets hurt and the brakes will work fine too , i have done this on five trailers not a problem :)