PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical thread... urban sprawl and gun ranges

nekred
07-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Over the years I have seen shooting facilities become tangled up in urban sprawl and then disappear because the new residents complain about the noise.

I think that what happens is that realtors and sellers do not provide enough information on the property for prospective buys. They buy their dream place and then gunfire from a nearby range is not what they bargained for. I would think any propoerty within 2 miles of an active range that is sold it must be mandated that disclosure of a nearby gun range must be done before the sale is finalized.

I think this should be expanded to include motorsports parks, pig farms etc. as well. Now imagine buying a place next to Castrol raceway and trying to get it shut down because of the noise of reving vehicles without mufflers....

Or to take it one step further ban all truck traffic on highway 44 because of the noise jake brakes make behind my house (by a-hole drivers who can't read signs and decide to wake the neighbourhood at 1:30 am).

But when it comes to urban sprawl should not historical use have some bearing on occupancy rights? Like if a gun range has been in place for 50 years and a subdivision gets built next door should the range be shut down because of the new subdivision? especially when there is more than enough room for subdivisions elsewhere at theis point.

silverdoctor
07-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Over the years I have seen shooting facilities become tangled up in urban sprawl and then disappear because the new residents complain about the noise.

I think that what happens is that realtors and sellers do not provide enough information on the property for prospective buys. They buy their dream place and then gunfire from a nearby range is not what they bargained for. I would think any propoerty within 2 miles of an active range that is sold it must be mandated that disclosure of a nearby gun range must be done before the sale is finalized.

I think this should be expanded to include motorsports parks, pig farms etc. as well. Now imagine buying a place next to Castrol raceway and trying to get it shut down because of the noise of reving vehicles without mufflers....

Or to take it one step further ban all truck traffic on highway 44 because of the noise jake brakes make behind my house (by a-hole drivers who can't read signs and decide to wake the neighbourhood at 1:30 am).

But when it comes to urban sprawl should not historical use have some bearing on occupancy rights? Like if a gun range has been in place for 50 years and a subdivision gets built next door should the range be shut down because of the new subdivision? especially when there is more than enough room for subdivisions elsewhere at theis point.

Or how about the police running their sirens all hours of the night? There's no need of it when there's little traffic around. How about the police helicopter buzzing homes all hours of the night. My girlfriend lives 10 minutes away from me, sleeping there isn't easy due to the noise at night just from the police activity, she feels like she's living in the hood and its a quiet neighborhood by day.

Didn't they have to rebuild parts of the whitemud due to homeowners complaints?

HyperMOA
07-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Not disagreeing with you about disclosure at all. My only point is that if you were buying your dream house, wouldn't you drive a mile or two down the road to see what your neighbors are? Or maybe look at a map?

I 100
5 agree with the OP though.

Au revoir, Gopher
07-10-2014, 12:53 PM
How about people who buy lots in a new subdivision close to a sewage treatment plant. Did you know those things stink?!? Well the city had better move that stinky thing away from my neighbourhood. :snapoutofit:

ARG

NEWB
07-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Or how about the police running their sirens all hours of the night? There's no need of it when there's little traffic around. How about the police helicopter buzzing homes all hours of the night. My girlfriend lives 10 minutes away from me, sleeping there isn't easy due to the noise at night just from the police activity, she feels like she's living in the hood and its a quiet neighborhood by day.

Didn't they have to rebuild parts of the whitemud due to homeowners complaints?

Correct!

The stretch from 111st to Rainbow valley bridge. It used to be level at the base of the fence. In the late 80's or early 90's the freeway was lowered to accommodate noise complaints from the residents.

As for the OP. All buyers should research the area where they are buying first and thoroughly investigate it before laying down the dollar bills. Watch out for information asymmetry.

Caveat emptor

pikeslayer22
07-10-2014, 02:25 PM
How about people who buy lots in a new subdivision close to a sewage treatment plant. Did you know those things stink?!? Well the city had better move that stinky thing away from my neighbourhood. :snapoutofit:

ARG
Or Gas plants then complain about the noises, truck traffic, dust and Smell

Grizzly Adams
07-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Thing in the local paper. Guy claims the concussion from explosive power line connectors over a thousand feet away caused his house to shift, cracking stucco, drywall and making doors hard to close. :confused: People are never happy unless they have something to bitch about and the higher the concentration of people the more complaining there will be.

Grizz

Okotokian
07-10-2014, 04:37 PM
I agree that people have to be aware of what they are moving into, and I don't have a lot of sympathy for folks who move in and immediately want things changed.

That said, cities grow. And a facility that was constructed ten miles out of town 50 years ago now has city at it's doorstep. It's hard and ineffective to build a city around a dump, a motor speedway, and yeah, an outdoor range, and have them operate as they always have.

Fisherpeak
07-10-2014, 04:52 PM
I agree that people have to be aware of what they are moving into, and I don't have a lot of sympathy for folks who move in and immediately want things changed.

That said, cities grow. And a facility that was constructed ten miles out of town 50 years ago now has city at it's doorstep. It's hard and ineffective to build a city around a dump, a motor speedway, and yeah, an outdoor range, and have them operate as they always have.

I don`t have any sympathy for people who choose to live in cities.

Ivo
07-10-2014, 04:53 PM
We have the Calgary shooting range 2 miles away, CN Rail track on the property line and a model airplane flying club across the tracks. Doesn't bother me and I can hear all of them. People get satisfaction out of being a pain in the *****. The only ones I every hear the neighbors complain about is the flying club(those planes can be pretty loud though), ironically they are moving.LOL.