PDA

View Full Version : Stihl chain saw, what size and model would be best?

SBE2
07-10-2014, 06:05 PM
I have a Stihl MS180 I believe it is, got it for father day, and have yet to use it. I will mostly be using this for hunting applications, camping, clearing trails and possibly bucking up some logs to then split for firewood. My question is will I have enough saw? Will there be enough power? Obviously won't be chewing through any 18-24" logs with it, but for the most part will it be enough? Was thinking of keeping it for the smaller uses, and possibly picking up the 250 model for bigger stuff. Thought or recommendations? Thanks.

TBark
07-10-2014, 06:08 PM
I have an MS290, 18" bar, plenty of saw.
Your 180 should be ok.

TBark

catnthehat
07-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Yup, super good saw and more than enough !:)
Many guys I know do quite fine with a tiny 12" bar saw with half the cc's!
Cat

riden
07-10-2014, 06:54 PM
I have a Stihl MS180 I believe it is, got it for father day, and have yet to use it. I will mostly be using this for hunting applications, camping, clearing trails and possibly bucking up some logs to then split for firewood. My question is will I have enough saw? Will there be enough power? Obviously won't be chewing through any 18-24" logs with it, but for the most part will it be enough? Was thinking of keeping it for the smaller uses, and possibly picking up the 250 model for bigger stuff. Thought or recommendations? Thanks.

If you are not putting down firewood, the smaller the better. I have a 290, it is big and bulky, not the best for hunting.

I really think chain sharpness will be a bigger factor than powoer for your use.

Scotty454
07-10-2014, 07:05 PM
If you are not putting down firewood, the smaller the better. I have a 290, it is big and bulky, not the best for hunting.

I really think chain sharpness will be a bigger factor than powoer for your use.

This, x a million. A bunch of us have the 290, and it's night and day when your chain is sharp. They're beasts with a sharp chain, and just de-limbing is a struggle with a dull chain. Keep the chain maintained and you'll be fine.

1shotwade
07-10-2014, 07:44 PM
I have a ms 180 and use it for the same application. Keep it sharp and no problems. I upgraded to a 16" bar and it made a huge difference! I love it also because it fits nicely in my quad box!:)

wildwoods
07-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Husqvarna.

wildwoods
07-10-2014, 07:53 PM
J/k I have both and have been happy/upset with both. Havin formerly used a chainsaw nearly everyday for 8 years at my old job I can honestly say that stihl and husqvarna both have draw backs and good features. I have bought a couple ms250 Stihls. The pull assist model I distain. Great saw without it though. I also have a husqvarna 445 x torq. That's a beast with an 18" bar. Love that saw. Your saw will be adequate for your intended use. No sense throwing the money away. Keep a couple files with ya.....

rembo
07-10-2014, 07:54 PM
I have a Stihl S170 I carry on the quad and a Husqvarna 445 that ends up on one of the quads once in a while also.

The Husky is bigger so it cuts faster of course.

The little Stihl is good......when you can get it started.

What's the saying?..."Stihl,...still pulling it"..?

wildwoods
07-10-2014, 07:55 PM
I have a Stihl S170 I carry on the quad and a Husqvarna 445 that ends up on one of the quads once in a while also.

The Husky is bigger so it cuts faster of course.

The little Stihl is good......when you can get it started.

What's the saying?..."Stihl,...still pulling it"..?

Stihl- it's only HALF orange

Lefty-Canuck
07-10-2014, 07:55 PM
I have an ms250c wth a 16 inch bar and it is a great saw for around the yard and the quad box.

LC

dantonsen
07-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Unless you are logging smaller usually is better. Smaller=smarter unless you have a cedarshake block cutting hobby or something.

graphic guy
07-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Got an good old 038 magnum that has been stopped yet, it came with a 25 inch bar but added a 20 incher to it and it cuts like a dream.

Magnet7mm
07-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Just went through this dilemma myself
Was thinking husky but since they got bought out by Westinghouse they are garbage. Old ones are still good though

Ended up buying a 290c love it tons of power upgraded to the 18" bar carry case a 6pack of oil,adds another year of warranty through Stihl if you buy the oil at time of purchase, all taxes etc included was 450 bucks

wildwoods
07-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Just went through this dilemma myself
Was thinking husky but since they got bought out by Westinghouse they are garbage. Old ones are still good though

Ended up buying a 290c love it tons of power upgraded to the 18" bar carry case a 6pack of oil,adds another year of warranty through Stihl if you buy the oil at time of purchase, all taxes etc included was 450 bucks

I don't think Westinghouse bought them out man. They are huge.

creeky
07-10-2014, 09:33 PM
got a 180 currently, awesome little saw & doesn't owe me a penny. carb oxygen is fixed as in set in Germany-so they have a harder time in hot muggy conditions at this altitude. leave it to cool & she'll fire up. my first 170 got dropped 40 feet to the ground and cracked the fuel tank, arborist friend bought it last year & still (stihl) using it. Stihl have a woodsman kit-free case, chain, hat etc & drop the price usually come fall

keep a sharp tensioned chain, fluids up, & remember it's about feed & speed as opposed to horsepower

Magnet7mm
07-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Heard that from a couple people and two dealers one was a husky dealer
Was a few years ago quality went in the tank and focus turned towards quantity as I was told from the husky dealer

Sneeze
07-11-2014, 12:55 AM
Saws are like peckers, even if it's too big for the job you would not wish for a smaller one.

I have an 044 (now the ms440), while I realize it's not the biggest saw it goes all day against the fattest trees I can throw at it.

I was once at a gathering where chainsaws were being compared while beer was being enjoyed. An old friend showed us his old boys 084, it was hideous but truly amazing. Nobody cared much for sharing after that.

creeky
07-11-2014, 07:13 AM
Saws are like peckers, even if it's too big for the job you would not wish for a smaller one.

I have an 044 (now the ms440), while I realize it's not the biggest saw it goes all day against the fattest trees I can throw at it.

I was once at a gathering where chainsaws were being compared while beer was being enjoyed. An old friend showed us his old boys 084, it was hideous but truly amazing. Nobody cared much for sharing after that.

not many trees the 044 can't put on the ground- ponder why i ever sold mine.
Bomber chainsaw.

lilsundance
07-11-2014, 07:18 AM
The smaller Husky's are made by Poulan, the larger ones are still by husky. Best way to tell is if it has a silver muffler its a poulan make, black muffler its still made by husky.

and my son just gave me a used 440? stihl. he got it cheap at a garage sale. I had told him I wanted a smaller saw for the quad. lol

javlin101
07-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Got a

291/18" bar for bucking
250/16" bar for around the lot

Love both saws

Bought a Stihl weed eater this spring as my Toro finally died. It has the assist start and man I wish my saws had it. One easy pull and it fires up.