PDA

View Full Version : Road off Foresty Trunk Road Dutch Creek

bachey
07-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Hey guys,
Was driving around after my fishing trip today. Looking at the entrance to the Dutch Creek Campground, there was a road to the right. I took it for awhile but ran out of time and had to turn around. It followed the Dutch creek for awhile.

I was just wondering if anyone knew where it went and how far it goes? I made it to the 5 km marker before turning around.

Steven Noel
07-10-2014, 10:19 PM
I would suggest you get yourself the set of Backroad Mapbooks, they are invaluable for this kind of stuff. The "Southern Alberta" one would cover Dutch Creek.

twofifty
07-10-2014, 10:42 PM
iirc the Dutch creek road peters out to a foot trail that leads over a low pass into BC (back side of the Lyne Creek coal mine).

Just before the pass, you can scramble up a scree slope to gain the South shoulder of Tornado mountain (approx. 10,000' ASL). A yet steeper scramble up the east face takes you to the summit. From the summit you can look SW down the Elk valley practically all the way to the Kootenay river valley.

bessiedog
07-10-2014, 10:59 PM
I haven't done Dutch in three years, but the road connects to smith creek, then the Atlas road. IIRC

I could be getting mixed up with the north branch of the old man road, but I don't think I am.

Last time I drove it, it was a bit of a challenge, after two serious floods.... I'd be interested to see if it's doable..

Hevishot
07-11-2014, 08:23 AM
After the Old Man Campsite the road goes about 10-15k before there is no more road. Rumor has it thats how its going to stay now. There are still a few abandoned rvs on the other side of the damage.

Full Curl Earl
07-11-2014, 09:30 AM
I was just past there the other day, and also recall it joining with Allison/Chinook Reservoir road. And the Back roads map book shows same.
Unless something has changed?

bachey
07-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciate it. I'm going to have to spend more time out there just driving around for awhile And checking out these little roads. Wish I had a beater truck.