PDA

View Full Version : World Cup - "shootouts"

schmedlap
07-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Maybe I am just an old "hockey guy" (actually, I am a "soccer guy" as well), but the whole idea of settling these playdown matches with penalty kicks, if tied after 120 minutes, is just gross, to me. Just a lot of luck in many cases, with so much on the line.
I would like to see FIFA go to continuing 15 minute overtime periods - "sudden death" after the first 2, until someone scores. The argument against it appears to be the issue of "stamina" - the players just cannot go on (?). So, allow more substitutions (1-2 per period?) after the 30 minutes of regular overtime (or even during the first 30 minutes?). Every team has, I believe (?) up to 23 players available. The tactics of this would be quite interesting, by themselves (?). I just do not like the idea of settling such important matches with penalty kicks (any more than I like the shootout in hockey - different issue).
What do you think?

dgonc86
07-10-2014, 11:18 PM
The only reason I watched the World Cup is because of the shoot outs. I flicked through all the channels till I knew the penalty kicks are about to begin then I watched. I don't think I could watch another 5 minutes of then kicking the ball back and forth.

fish gunner
07-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Maybe I am just an old "hockey guy" (actually, I am a "soccer guy" as well), but the whole idea of settling these playdown matches with penalty kicks, if tied after 120 minutes, is just gross, to me. Just a lot of luck in many cases, with so much on the line.
I would like to see FIFA go to continuing 15 minute overtime periods - "sudden death" after the first 2, until someone scores. The argument against it appears to be the issue of "stamina" - the players just cannot go on (?). So, allow more substitutions (1-2 per period?) after the 30 minutes of regular overtime (or even during the first 30 minutes?). Every team has, I believe (?) up to 23 players available. The tactics of this would be quite interesting, by themselves (?). I just do not like the idea of settling such important matches with penalty kicks (any more than I like the shootout in hockey - different issue).
What do you think?

I hate penalties . How ever after 120 min even messi has lost three steps. Its a dice throw on your keeper . Thats where Holland's second sub changed the game .

bobalong
07-11-2014, 12:09 AM
I agree, when it gets down to the final four, I would like to see it decided like you suggested. I would also like to see a sort of "over and back" rule, once the team progresses up the field, about half way between their goal and the centre line, they are not allowed to pass back to the keeper. It will never change I know, but this really slows the game down IMO.

They did talk about possibly implementing a "dive" penalty, and a "replay" especially for penalty shots. I would like to see the "dive" penalty for sure as this has always been a downside of the game.

drhu22
07-11-2014, 12:17 AM
What do you think?

I agree, it seems like an arbitrary way to decide a match...
I'ld be more interested if it was played on a smaller field (more goals?), but thats just me.

Precisionshooter
07-11-2014, 07:15 AM
How about those Germans......!

densa44
07-11-2014, 08:43 AM
After watching 2 hours of no scoring one has to be a very keen fan to see that as entertaining. Why not have penalties like hockey, send a diver off for 20 mins, or for tripping etc. Why not have all penalties in the offensive zone taken from the spot?

Anything to get more goals.

dumoulin
07-11-2014, 08:45 AM
I don't get soccer...although I do think the players are fit and the game is taxing.

nekred
07-11-2014, 09:35 AM
It is pretty tiring... think of the main payers and how much time is on the field.... penalty kicks are a good way to settle a tie... yes there is luck involved but is there during the whole game....

brownbomber
07-11-2014, 09:40 AM
I don't get soccer...although I do think the players are fit and the game is taxing.

Yes they are super fit. Let's jog and sprint tactically for 90 mins, not easy. I think it's average for a midfielder to do something like 6 miles or more in a game. Don't quote me on the number though. Pretty cool though.

wildwoods
07-11-2014, 10:58 AM
The only reason I watched the World Cup is because of the shoot outs. I flicked through all the channels till I knew the penalty kicks are about to begin then I watched. I don't think I could watch another 5 minutes of then kicking the ball back and forth.

Most boring sport to watch..... Love shoot outs

Fredo
07-11-2014, 11:44 AM
There should be a one-sided shootout series performed every time a player pretends to be hurt in the goal zone.
We will have nice scores and nicer games!

Rockman
07-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Matches can get boring at 90 minutes with sometimes not much action. But we who are used to it don't mind it much.

But yeah, hate deciding stuff on penalties. I'd be in favor of something like 15- or 20-minute sudden death extensions, perhaps after the first one there should be completely unlimited player switches (time doesn't stop for them). It would add a whole new dimension to the game.

... on the other hand, what if the tie just goes on and on? You could set up a whole ruleset to take care of it, but you want some mechanism by which at some point, if all else fails (and before viewers & players are at a match for hours & hours), there's a shootout to settle it.

Rockman
07-11-2014, 11:51 AM
There should be a one-sided shootout series performed every time a player pretends to be hurt in the goal zone.
We will have nice scores and nicer games!

Yeah, or quick & simple video play checking on the side. I'm very much in favor of that. I don't agree with players faking injuries or foulers getting away with it, and a simple quick check for any more serious plays would be welcome and appropriate, IMO.

wildwoods
07-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Yeah, or quick & simple video play checking on the side. I'm very much in favor of that. I don't agree with players faking injuries or foulers getting away with it, and a simple quick check for any more serious plays would be welcome and appropriate, IMO.

Can't regulate integrity. That is what turns me off to soccer. Grown men rolling around on the grass like they have been shot. I remember as kids we would be embarrassed to behave like that. If refs would make a statement and start handing out acting cards might help. Again, i believe it's the culture surrounding the game. My hat is off to the teams that avoid those shenannigans.

bobalong
07-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Most boring sport to watch..... Love shoot outs

Yes definitely not a thrill a minute game, but I do appreciate their ability to run at full tilt, controlling the ball. They make it look it easy, but the footwork and coordination required to do this, I think takes some pretty good skills.

I don't normally watch soccer, but I do enjoy watching the best in the world going at it.

Precisionshooter
07-13-2014, 05:08 PM
How about those Germans... another world record!