PDA

View Full Version : Steven Harper is a .....Bully

Winch101
07-11-2014, 08:11 AM
It was just a matter of time before the B card was played like the never
Ending race card is thrown about . I believe most of these so called
Charities are pure shams , rackets ...prey on the senile and gullible .
When the CEO makes 300 k a year I call BS . It's time they were brought
Up to answer for their wanton ways .

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/10/tax-audits-canadian-charities_n_5575130.html

pikergolf
07-11-2014, 08:15 AM
First the scientists, now this. Lots of enemies of "Canada" for our grand ruler to set his paranoid eye on.

bighorn88
07-11-2014, 08:24 AM
It should be no different for them as the rest of us. If you run a clean operation, no problem. Some of these groups are just leaches on society that need to be weeded out.

densa44
07-11-2014, 08:36 AM
I thought that Steve's only contribution was to use his picture to frighten naughty children, who knew.

2 Solutions come to mind, eliminate elections and a free press and let the leader for life get back to doing what is best for all of us.

Or

Have the government operate like a charity, in the BNA Act called an eleemosynary organization, in other words, like a charity, if we don't think they are managing our money well, we don't have to send them any.

I think that this would be a tonic to the government, the public wouldn't have to wait for an election to get their attention.

It would solve so many problems, you go Steve.

benamen
07-11-2014, 08:58 AM
So what happens when you don't send the government any taxes. Can they deny you and your family medical coverage? That health care system gets their money from the government who gets it from the tax payers. I am sure the next guy in line with his carbon tax would be happy to let anyone opt out of that tax anytime they wanted.

Robin Goodfellow
07-11-2014, 09:09 AM
It was just a matter of time before the B card was played like the never
Ending race card is thrown about . I believe most of these so called
Charities are pure shams , rackets ...prey on the senile and gullible .
When the CEO makes 300 k a year I call BS . It's time they were brought
Up to answer for their wanton ways .

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/10/tax-audits-canadian-charities_n_5575130.html

It's funny... I have no love of Harper, but don't feel that the term Bully is necessarily accurate. He doesn't do these things because he takes pleasure in them. He does it out of his authoritarian nature, which requires him to take control of everything in his sphere of influence.

But like a squeezing boa constrictor, he doesn't do it for satisfaction, he does it because it's all he knows how to do.

bighorn88
07-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Wow

hillbillyreefer
07-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Awww, boohoo, poor charities, some spend 90% on overhead and 10% on doing good. These guys sucker all sorts of good people into giving them money. Audit them all.

How many have lost their charitable status because they don't qualify? Why should scammers have easier rules than law abiding citizens and businesses who do play by the rules?

CNP
07-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Canada Revenue Agency officials, meanwhile, say they're simply doing their jobs as mandated by government.
And Richard Bridge, a charities lawyer in Middleton, N.S., with some 200 clients, said he's seen no evidence the tax agency has itself become politicized.
"I have confidence in their professional integrity," Bridge said in an interview. "At the end of the day, they're going to do the right thing."

A charity cannot spend money on wages for lobbying for or against the government IMHO.

Snoik
07-11-2014, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=hillbillyreefer;2487869]Awww, boohoo, poor charities, some spend 90% on overhead and 10% on doing good. These guys sucker all sorts of good people into giving them money. Audit them all.

[QUOTE]

here here:party0052:

Okotokian
07-11-2014, 04:16 PM
A Canadian company shouldn't have to fight interests from outside this country (or Canadian "charity" organizations funded by such outside interests) to build a project in this country.

rugatika
07-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Oh no!! The CRA is making sure everyone is obeying the law. Only a tinfoil hat lefty would turn that into "Harper is out to get me!!!"

As many of my liberal friends would say when the gov passes draconian laws..."If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry about."

But I realize it only means something when it's your ox finally getting gored.

MAYBE, someday people will come to realize there's too much government. But I doubt it.

Robin Goodfellow
07-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Oh no!! The CRA is making sure everyone is obeying the law.

But it is not everyone. it is both selective, and punitive.

"Canada Revenue Agency, ordered in 2012 to audit political activities as a special project, now has also targeted charities focused on foreign aid, human rights, and even poverty."

Only a tinfoil hat lefty would turn that into "Harper is out to get me!!!"

Or someone who took the time to RTFA.

colin455
07-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Good to see some transparency forced on some of these "charities". Huge salaries, perks and little going to the advertised recipients. Some of these charaties eat up %80+ of the donations in salaries and advertising.

rugatika
07-11-2014, 05:12 PM
But it is not everyone. it is both selective, and punitive.

"Canada Revenue Agency, ordered in 2012 to audit political activities as a special project, now has also targeted charities focused on foreign aid, human rights, and even poverty."

Or someone who took the time to RTFA.

First: Children read this forum. If you feel the need to use foul language do so on your own forum.

Second: The CRA is clearly focusing on all groups. No where does it say commie groups or liberal groups.

Why would anyone have a problem with laws being enforced? Get them changed if you don't like them.

Read the gosh darn article yourself. (after you make yourself a new tinfoil hat)

greylynx
07-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Why would Saint Suzuki and Tides have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on lawyers in an attempt to save the constant cash flow into their charities? Lawyers who are paid thousands of dollars per hour when the money is supposed to spent on all that ....stuff.

What do they have to hide?

Could it be that Saint Suzuki is actually "Shyster Suzuki", and that clean sounding name "Tides" is actually "Turds"?

Ducks Unlimited has been implicated with Tides. Remember you are making some lawyer very rich the next time you donate to Ducks Unlimited. Conservation? Phhht.

TomCanuck
07-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Is there any evidence of ministerial interference in the CRA? No, oh well, guess this, "news article", is just accusations. Where's the smoking gun, where's the beef? Is the CRA an arms length agency or not? That would be actual news. No whistle-blower... not surprizing... And people bash Sun News.

From The Hip
07-11-2014, 05:47 PM
A Canadian company shouldn't have to fight interests from outside this country (or Canadian "charity" organizations funded by such outside interests) to build a project in this country.

Darn right if if said "charities" are doing this and it can be proved they should be stripped of their "charitable" status.

FTH

Sundancefisher
07-11-2014, 07:03 PM
A charity cannot spend money on wages for lobbying for or against the government IMHO.

Xzillion

rules are extremely clear for charities to qualify for tax free status. One big one is no political lobbying. If you do you are a political lobby organization and are no longer a charity. In other words I don't have to pay for someone else's political opinion.

At the same time anyone on this thread are free to donate any amount of money they want to any political organization they chose. They just don't receive a tax credit.

Simple.

All these shame charities that are caught regardless of what their political leanings are will soon be on the same footing. I am happy with that.

oldgutpile
07-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Long overdue! There are way too many organizations that have been bottom-feeding parasites for too long! Many of them started off with the best of intentions, and then the greed takes over.
I get a call from one organization every year. I went for the sales pitch in year two of being self employed, and have unfortunately been on the list since. I wont name the specific group, but this is for advertising in a "missing kids" magazine. The sales pitch is that this magazine goes out to "xxx" businesses, and gets seen by thousands of people.
The following year, I recieved a letter from the founder of the organization, explaining that he could no longer endorse the group, as it had strayed from the original goals and he no longer had control of the groups direction. They had become an advertising sales gimmick, using the ,missing kids as the bait to sell ads! When I recieved the next copy, I realized that the most recent of the missing kids was 17 years ago!!

On a different note; if the ruling party gets into power by taking a political stance against specific issues, why should they be obliged to tolerate organizations that are against said issues? I understand freedom of speech, minority rights, etc., etc., ..... but where do you draw the line. If a party wins by a majority, and they base their campagne on specific values, then why should that party tolerate groups who fight those values? The majority has spoken!
Not trying to stymie minority rights, just saying that this move to audit "charity" groups is a far cry from bullying.