PDA

View Full Version : family all inclusive resorts xmas ideas?

mooseknuckle
07-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Hey Folks,

Well it's been a good year and me and the misses have decided to take the kids (4 ages 2, 6,6, 10) somewhere warm this coming Christmas. Kids passport info is in the mail and now to find a place to go.

I'm sure some of you have taken the whole fam on an all inclusive before so I thought I'd get some feed back from the fine people of AO.

Now with 6 of us I'm thinking $15,000 for 7 days will likely be the ball park?

I wanted to leave the 2 (will be nearly 3 when we go) home with grandma, but at xmas the wife ain't having that.

I'm thinking the Caribbean side may be better if we want to swim the ocean and stuff, kids love water so any water parks with a pool bar would be great. I noticed a lot of these places also have "kids clubs" looks pretty cool.

Anyways fire away, suggestions would be appreciated. Hoping to get this booked by next week.

Dynamic
07-11-2014, 03:31 PM
15 000 might be a overestimate but I haven't gone at Xmas. That is the most expensive time to go south iirc. I would fly into cancun and find a resort south of there. Lots of direct flights and relatively close. A shorter flight with kids is always better.

mooseknuckle
07-11-2014, 03:56 PM
15 000 might be a overestimate but I haven't gone at Xmas. That is the most expensive time to go south iirc. I would fly into cancun and find a resort south of there. Lots of direct flights and relatively close. A shorter flight with kids is always better.

I wish $15k was a high number one I did check out 4 star nothing too crazy in maya riv is $13,480 all in. It's the 4 kids that's a killer. (Thanks for nothing Trojan) And Definately less travel time would be nice. I don't have much of a choice I can't land in the USA. I'd be willing to make a stop in Toronto or something if need be. Jamaica seems nice.

Okotokian
07-11-2014, 03:58 PM
You don't need to spend $15,000 for a week. You get two adjoining rooms. Officially you will probably need to put each adult with two kids per room. Just get on Red Tag, or Expedia, or Travelocity, or Itravel 2000 and start looking around.

Agree on carribean side for white sand, turqouise water, and smaller waves versus the Pacific. Get a place with a good kids club, perhaps water park. Wife and I go to mostly adults only places now, but we used to take the family to Barcelo Maya south of Cancun. It's now a complex of five hotels, all good from top to bottom, but one of them has a nice waterpark for kids (you will have to look up to see which). I don't think a waterpark is an uncommon feature these days, so you will probably be able to find many hotels with one. Don't drag kids on tours. they are exhausting enough for adults.

Agree with limiting flight time with kids and only going to places with direct flights. We have always had good holidays in Mayan Riviera. Cuba might be cheaper and it's nice and safe, but the food sucks at most hotels there (a few exceptions). Other inexpensive alternative is Dominican republic but I've never been.

mooseknuckle
07-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks oko. I'm dealing with a girl at redtag now. I'll have to ask about sneaking around the suite thing and go for the joining room thing. I'm not excited about spending that much, but ya just never know when you'll get the chance again so I want to make it memorable one!

RayM77
07-11-2014, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE= Jamaica seems nice.[/QUOTE]

I would avoid Jamaica and would never take my children there. It is a very dangerous place and if something happens to you or you family when you down there the health care system can be very poor.

hal53
07-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks oko. I'm dealing with a girl at redtag now. I'll have to ask about sneaking around the suite thing and go for the joining room thing. I'm not excited about spending that much, but ya just never know when you'll get the chance again so I want to make it memorable one!
Cuba, stay at Villa Cuba, they have Villas between the main hotel and the ocean that are like little 2 or3 bedroom apartments, own private pool at those , plus the pool bar has a huge pool that is 2/3 for kids, food is allright, they do have spices out for you. We have been 6 times, going back this winter, took 4 kids a few years back for less than 13k,

Spidey
07-11-2014, 06:44 PM
We've been to PV, Mayan, Dominican and Cuba multiple times each. Definitely do what Oko said and buy two separate holidays with one adult and two kids each. Should come in much less than your original budget, even at Christmas. It also might be worth skipping the middle man like Red Tag and going directly with WestJet Vacations (WestJet for some reason has way less tax on their all inclusive vacations.) However, if you have a Sears card you can book with their travel agent service and you have the option of paying over 6 months with no interest. Sears, Red Tag, Itravel are all the same - no one online service is cheaper than the other.

I also agree with the shorter flight if possible. When our kids were 5 and 7 and 6 and 8 and we did DR and Mayan and both times they were fried by the time we got back. In contrast we flew to PV and they were fine (over an hour less in the air each way). We stayed in nuevo vallarta at the Palladium Vallarta. The kids loved it. They even had a little zoo as well as a great snack bar complete with rotisserie chicken and self serve soft ice cream! The beach was also pretty nice (not swimming pool blue like the mayan side, but that resort had a great little tidal pool and the kids could check out lots of marine life in less than 2ft of water - they spent hours in there.)

Edit: I took the liberty of plugging in one adult and a 6 and 10 year old to PV at Paradise Village (also a very nice resort) from Dec. 24 to Dec. 31 with WestJet and it came to $5710 all in. x2 that's $11,400. The Samba Vallarta was cheaper yet (still nice but a bit more basic) - it was $4730 all in with a superior room with balcony. That leaves you with $4000 to spend on outdoorsman toys!!

omega50
07-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Wherever you end up check the age restrictions for the Kids Clubs.
Many are 4-12 years of age, but resort can usually offer some private babysitting for younger children in case you need some alone time. :)
Barceló Punta Cana had a good kids club with climbing tower and trapeze, but it really is probably too long of a flight for your crew.

mooseknuckle
07-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Thank you for all the advice gang.

Ivo
07-12-2014, 12:38 AM
My wife and I did Turks a Cacos for our honeymoon and it was gorgeous and a great family resort. 2 problems though, long flight and you have to go through Miami.

Norman
07-12-2014, 04:09 AM
I stayed at the Occidental Grand Xcaret just outside playa del Carmen Mexico and we had a blast, lots of kids and it's connected to Xcaret park, with lots of kid friendly activities and shows. The food was actually very good and they serve premium booze which is always a bonus if you like to drink a little or a lot.

Gate guy
07-12-2014, 02:48 PM
I have stayed at and will again
The villa Miranda in cozumel is perfect. Donny and DJ are Canadians that run this private villa and will hook you up with what ever you are looking to do

http://www.villamirandacozumel.com

I have not heard a complaint as of yet. And the island is considerably mor relaxed than any of the big resorts

Take a look.

trooper
07-12-2014, 02:55 PM
I did Puerto Vallarta a few years ago. Try palladium resort, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

RandyBoBandy
07-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Peruse "club med" and see what they have :)

Hunter65
07-12-2014, 08:07 PM
We went to Akumal Beach Resort in 2006 - me, my wife, and 2 girls, 15 and 11. Great time. Not a top of the line place, but certainly good enough for us on a budget. We went over Xmas and new years, so 14 days altogether, ~13k, all in one room. Akumal is community with a bay, where the swimming and water is great, sea turtles everywhere. Water usually quite calm, can swim a long ways from shore without too much worry, beach is long, and nice for sure. Like I said, the resort itself is passable, but not a 5 star, maybe a 3.5 - 4 star. But hey, good enough for us.

mooseknuckle
07-21-2014, 03:08 PM
So we decided to go to Sandos Playacar experience beach resort.

Should make for a great xmas for the family. All in $10,100

Should give the kids something to get excited for.