PDA

View Full Version : Lures for goldeye

pikekid
07-11-2014, 09:58 PM
hey folks, i need some tips for catching goldeye, i've caught a few with a small orange kwik fish and a small crank bait...need help! Oh, and im going fishing tomorrow down at red deer river if anyone wants to join

bwackwabbit
07-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Small silver or golds Mepps or Panther Martin spinners, small Lenny's in copper/gold/silver and small Rattlin' Rapalas work best for me.

pikekid
07-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks! I'll give them a try

Red Bullets
07-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Goldeye (and mooneye) will bite a large variety of things.
Spinners, spoons, rapalas, rubbertail jigs, and imitation frog and minnow type of lures.

According to the regs:
If you are between the Dickson dam and tohlman bridge on the Red Deer river, the only bait you can use is maggots and they should work good on a pickeral rig. Beware of snags bottom fishing in rocky areas. Don't use more weight than you have to to hold bottom.

Downstream of Tohlman Bridge bait is allowed.

Good luck.

bloopbloob
07-11-2014, 10:52 PM
I've caught most of mine in the RDR with a brown trout
panther martin

Bushleague
07-12-2014, 07:45 AM
I think a plain brass Len Thompson is pretty much the classic lure for goldeye. That being said I've caught them all sorts of lures and flies, IMO I think it would be interesting to try catching them on small topwaters. They seem to like hitting a dry fly best when its dragging, I think a Tiny Torpedo or a small popper might make for some exciting fishing under the right conditions.

gnugen
07-12-2014, 11:24 AM
I think a plain brass Len Thompson is pretty much the classic lure for goldeye. That being said I've caught them all sorts of lures and flies, IMO I think it would be interesting to try catching them on small topwaters. They seem to like hitting a dry fly best when its dragging, I think a Tiny Torpedo or a small popper might make for some exciting fishing under the right conditions.
Awesome tip!

Jack&7
07-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Not trying to hijack....but I am interested in some goldeye as well. Wanna put 'em on the smoker!

Question is: is drumheller the closest to Cochrane where i can get some? Wanna take the kids as well so a shorter trip might be the best plan. Not looking for a honey hole, but if anyone can tell me the closest area to Cochrane where I can find some, I would appreciate it. Pm me if you wish.

Thanks

Mailian
07-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Usually I get them on the fly... But when I take my kids out I usually leave the fly rod at home... The kids and myself usually just use a small five of diamond yellow and red seems to work best... Find a school and its like fishing with dynamite.

Albertafisher
07-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Goldeye are so aggressive, they'll eat anything they can fit in their mouth

Red Bullets
07-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Not trying to hijack....but I am interested in some goldeye as well. Wanna put 'em on the smoker!

Question is: is drumheller the closest to Cochrane where i can get some? Wanna take the kids as well so a shorter trip might be the best plan. Not looking for a honey hole, but if anyone can tell me the closest area to Cochrane where I can find some, I would appreciate it. Pm me if you wish.

Thanks

You could go about 1 1/2 hr. north of Cochrane on Hwy. 22 to Rocky. The North Sask river will have goldeye.

Steven Noel
07-13-2014, 04:35 PM
They can also be caught on the fly. Unfortunately, in my couple of hours of effort, this is as close as I got.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/Steven_Noel/IMG_2396_zpsb4704e99.jpg

BGSH
07-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Small jigs or a bobber with a worm :)

Geezle
07-14-2014, 08:25 AM
I've had my best luck with goldeye/mooneye on shiny things: mainly spinners (Panther Martin, Mepps, Blue Fox...everybody has their favorites) and small spoons with silver backs (Blue Fox, Len Thompson Platinum).

fishermansfriend
07-14-2014, 09:14 AM
was at the RDR in city limits here the other night and was getting them on a mosquito pattern #12 i think... but on spinner basically anything small they can fit in there mouth.. i like to use a slip bobber with a small green jig about 2 ft under surface.

Battery
07-14-2014, 10:59 AM
What kind of waters should I be looking for goldeye in? We have a place out at glennifer so I'm super close to RDR, yet still havent slayed any goldeye, mostly just Browns out of there. Do they prefer calm water? Inlets/coves? or are they in the fast water?

Thunder Elk Hunter
07-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Have had great success with a Fat Rap or orange flies The flies work the best when the tent caterpillar moths are out.

good fish

TEH

stubblejumper01
07-14-2014, 06:15 PM
They always hit on pickerel rigs in the N Sask and Pembina. They hit minnows, leeches and worms. Just find a deep hole and they hit in the same places I get walleye pike and burbot. It seems to help if there is a back eddy. Love the way they run and jump! You know right away it's not a walleye

boonedocks
07-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Mepps black fury spinner.

pikekid
07-15-2014, 07:28 PM
I just got back from slaying goldeye's, it seems like they were after my blue fox spinner orange with bright green blade and blue dots on the blade and seems like they like that one the most then my crankbait