PDA

View Full Version : Super Moon Saturday Night

Red Bullets
07-11-2014, 11:35 PM
If there are no clouds tomorrow, July 12th, it is a super moon. When the full moon looks really big.

roper1
07-11-2014, 11:36 PM
Might have to watch for that. Thanks!!

silverdoctor
07-11-2014, 11:50 PM
It's a perfect night out tonite, hardly a breeze, clear sky, skeeters haven't zero'd in on me yet, screwdriver in hand, minpin on lap. The moon is gorgeous tonite, should be something to see tomorrow night.

waterninja
07-11-2014, 11:52 PM
looks pretty good tonight. be a nice night for walleye fishing.

bb356
07-12-2014, 12:00 AM
Thank's for the head's up !!!

Red Bullets
07-12-2014, 12:11 AM
looks pretty good tonight. be a nice night for walleye fishing.

Perfect nights for fishing on the rivers. Goldeye, mooneye, walleye, sauger, burbot, brown trout and sturgeon all bite at night. I love going upstream on the NSR 40 miles where there are nice pools and braided channels on moon lit nights.

The next full moon in August (10th) is known as Sturgeon Moon. :)

Then September is Elk moon. :character0110:

roper1
07-12-2014, 12:13 AM
Hate it in September!! Urban legend or coincidence, tougher on me to find them on the hillsides. Hope I get my draw.

Red Bullets
07-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Hate it in September!! Urban legend or coincidence, tougher on me to find them on the hillsides. Hope I get my draw.

I don't particularly like hunting in September either....when it is so lush green and warm weather. November for me.

September is my favorite month for fishing the river.

roper1
07-12-2014, 12:38 AM
I don't mind hunting September, bugling bulls nature's majesty but that d*** hunter's moon plays tricks with my head & my luck.

bb356
07-12-2014, 11:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BmEGm-mraE

colroggal
07-12-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm looking at right now. A few ticks west of south just above the trees. I can't say it looks bigger but it is definitely brighter. Just the slight orange hew of a pen umbral eclipse. The coyotes are going crazy down in fish creek park. At least three different pack yowling away.

Colin.

doetracks
07-13-2014, 01:51 AM
Ahh. No wonder I can't sleep. :(

Clear as a bell tonight.

Dewey Cox
07-13-2014, 10:58 AM
"Super moon" sounds a lot cooler that what it actually turned out to be.

Red Bullets
07-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Supermoon is how I heard it phrased on the news. Hardly super.

Sushi
07-13-2014, 08:06 PM
It was underwhelming but I wonder if the latitude of your vantage point has a major effect on how large the moon appears. I think the closer you get to the equator, the larger the moon looks, and the more spectacular the Milky Way appears at night. Any astronomers here know if my suspicion is true?

Hunter65
07-13-2014, 08:50 PM
It was underwhelming but I wonder if the latitude of your vantage point has a major effect on how large the moon appears. I think the closer you get to the equator, the larger the moon looks, and the more spectacular the Milky Way appears at night. Any astronomers here know if my suspicion is true?

I think the supermoon is a bit hype, and maybe some truth. It is closer to earth by a large margin, just not sure how much larger it appears. I do not think that being closer to the equator makes any difference because even though you might be closer, the distance is very small comparatively.

The Milky Way on the other hand is much more vibrant from southern latitudes, but only in the summer. Earth is situated near the end of one of many spiral arms of the Milky Way. In the summer, the core of the MW is easier seen and contains more stars, and it is best seen from the south, farther south being better. In winter months when the earth is on the opposite side of the sun, it's like looking away from the core of our galaxy into more or less empty space, and not many stars. Take a pair of binoculars out on a dark May or August night (June and July maybe not dark enough way up here)and have a look around. Hard to comprehend the number of stars sometimes.