PDA

View Full Version : Optics for Dummies

Brad09
11-09-2008, 08:50 PM
So after reading some replies to previous posts, I've learned a lot about different rifle calibers and different rifle makes. So now I'm trying to figure out different optics. From my basic understanding of hunting, I am likely going to need three different types of optics equipment: binoculars, a rangefinder, and a rifle scope.

Now, I'm trying to narrow down some selections. First, the one that I am most confused about, is the rangefinder. My understanding is that it does exactly what it says it does: finds the range between you and a specific point. From looking at a few, it seems to me that this is done with lasers, and I'm sure the specifics of which are far too confusing for me to worry about. I've also noticed quite a range in prices, from $200 to $1200. So here's the questions.

Do I need to spend a ton to get a good rangefinder, or will the standard, no-frills model do the job for a basic hunter? Does anyone know if there is a rangefinder out there that will compensate for differences in distance caused by looking on an incline or decline(uphill/downhill)? Do I, with zero experience with a big-game rifle, need a rangefinder that would be able to zero in on a target over 440yds? Currently, working for Canadian Tire, the only rangefinder that we stock is a Brunton unit that retails for $200. The Brunton Echo unit: 6x magnification, 12mm exit pupil(does anyone know what this means?), 3.8mm eye relief, FOV @ 100yds: 12.2yds, 15-440yd ranging distance. How does this sound to everyone?

And binoculars. When it comes to a pair of binocs, what should I be looking for? Obviously I need some waterproofing and some rubberized casing meant to take some abuse, but if I'm primarily looking for deer in light brush and predominantly open plain, is there a recommendation as far as magnification and objective lens size goes?

Rifle scopes. I've actually more or less picked out a scope. There's a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 and a 3.5-10x50 scope for $630 that I'm checking out. According to some reading on the Chuck Hawks site, for a varied range in hunting, a 3x9 or 4x12 scope is a safe bet. I chose the Leupold because it fit into the middle of this recommendation, the warranty is incredible, and it's apparently got some range estimation system. Please comment if you have experience with this scope or something comparable that you can recommend.

Any opinions or thoughts are always welcome. Thanks.

Brad

the hammer
11-10-2008, 06:15 AM
In my personal opinion, good binos and rifle scope are a must. As for a range finder, learn to guess tamate distances. Estimate distances between power poles, how long is a football field. If you go to the range often enough you will know what 50 yd 100 yd and 200 yd are soon enough. The US marines learned to range find this way and it appears to work for them. The money you spend on a rangefinder may be better spent on ammo and range time. Range finders may be needed for bow hunting but I feel you really don't have time to dig it out of your pocket or wherever if big game rifle hunting as many times you may only have a few seconds to see, identify and decide if the shot you are about to take will be a safe one.

Dick284
11-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Optics, where for the most part a good chunk of your money should be spent.

For a begineer in the rifle hunting I would'nt fret to much about range finders. Learn the nuiances of longer distance shooting before worrying about ranging and zipping game at those distances.
FWIW, zero a 270Win with a 130gr. bullet 2.5" high at 100 yds and your good to go on game to somewhere around 300 to 325yds without having to worry too much about correcting for the distance.

Binoculars, spend as much as you can, good optics begin in that $400 price range. 8x42's are my prefrence, they give a good field of view, and will give good service in low light conditions.

Scopes.
Dont get to hung up on high magnifiactions especially if your starting out, the psycological effect of more perceived wobble will not assist you in become confident in your shooting.
And dont buy into the 50mm objective craze, it is just money payed for conditions you will never hunt in Alberta. 40mm objectives also allow lower scope mounting which will assist you in your shooting form (cheek weld)

The human eye will dialate to about 5 or 6mm, if a piece of optics that provides an exit pupil beyond 5 to 6 mm will not gainin you much for low light conditions.

Exit pupil is the amount of light a piece of optics will transmit, it can be seen by holding the optics at arms length and observing the size of the spot of light on the ocular lens.
It can be calculated by dividing the objective lens diameter in mm's by the power of the magnification.
ie. 42mm divided by 8X = 5.25mm

Good luck

bobinthesky
11-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Of the scopes you mention, I think they are as good as it gets with out spending a lot more money. Personally, I prefer the 40 mm objective lens over the 50 mm lens. It lets you mount the scope lower and closer to the bore and provides less bulk for carrying. Sometimes, depending on the rifle and shape of your face, the 50 mm scopes will have to be mounted high so they clear the barrel and you end up lifting your cheek off the stock to see through it properly. That dosn't promote good shooting, especially on quick shots.

Tredeb
11-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I agree with dick and bob.

A good quality 40mm scope will allow you to see well enough to shoot up to and past legal light(don't actually shoot past legal times). I feel that the compromise in mounting height will hurt you more than the size of the objective.

When I purchased my gun it had high mounts that you could look under with a 32mm scope. I have since purchased a 40mm scope and lower mounts and my grouping went to about half the size it was previously. The position feels a lot more natural with the lower mount.

EagleEye54
11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
If I was starting from the beginning, I would do the following:

SCOPE: A Leupold 3x9x40 VX2 mounted on a sporter weight rifle is all I have ever found necessary for the job. In my opinion, the VX2 series represents the best bang for the buck, all things considered. I have owned many scopes in my 40 years of hunting and while I prefer Zeiss scopes optically, Leupold are very decent all around. One thing to keep in mind with scopes now is that the Federal Governement requires you to have a permit to get on back from repair in the USA. So, a Canadian repair depot is manatory for good service and response time. Leupold has that and more with a depot just south of Calgary. The VX2 has decent glass and 1/4 MOA click adjustments. The last 3 I have purchased all tracked properly, something that used to be an "iffy" situation 10 or so years ago. A VX2 3x9x40mm in matte finish (with the new LR reticle) is $389 at Crappy Tire.

BINOCULARS: This is where I would put the biggest part on my budget. You scan for hours with bins and yet only look through a scope for seconds. Eye fatigue is my biggest beef and cheap optics coupled with a narrow field of view causes lots of this for me. That is why I now use Zeiss FL *T in 7x42mm. I cannot hold anything bigger than 8 power steady over the long haul so high magification is out and IMO, not necessary. While you might not want to spend $1800 on bins like I did, at least get a higher end brand with all the right features. Spend at least $500 on this and with optics, more is better. I could talk on this topic all day but I close at this point. Checkout the comments at www.24hourcampfire.com for lots of great info on bins.

RANGE FINDER: Not a necessary item but they sure come in handy some times. I got mine last year and glad I did. I prefer small stuff physically that has decent optics. That means European: Leica or Swarovski. I spent $600 on my Leica 900 and it was worth the investment. The big thing is the yardage readings are extremely fast and accurate plus the display is in red rather than black letters. Can't see black in low light conditions. Make sure you get a waterproof range finder or it will soon become a useless toy. Don't get the bins with a range finder in one unit...too bulky and heavy to carry all day. The Lieca is just 7 ounces or so and fits in the breast pocket of your shirt. Awesome stuff and worth the extra $$ over say a Bushnell or Leupold.

I hope this helps you. If you need further clarification, ask away.